Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Chicago teachers on strike...400,000 students not in the classroom!

Posted by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 3:41 PM
  • 4 Replies

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/09/10/chicago-teachers-to-go-on-strike-after-talks-with-district-fail/?test=latestnews

I understand everyone needs a paycheck and deserves certain pay increases and benefits....but kids need an education.  Your thoughts....

by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 3:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
WantedNameTaken
by Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 3:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I wish I could demand from my employer what teachers are demanding.  On second thought, no I don't, because it would require me to be greedy and selfish.

SusanTheWriter
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 4:05 PM

We came close to a teacher strike in our district in southern IL. The state hasn't funded most districts fully for the last several years and districts are scrambling to do their best with limited money. All the other district employees have been in a salary freeze for two years and expect it to continue for another little while, but it took being two days from a strike for the teachers to agree to a one-year freeze, then raises for the next subsequent years.

They were all 'blah blah class size blah,' but really, it came down to a raise.

I agree that yes, everyone needs a living wage and solid benefits, but there has to be a way to provide an education without going in the hole.

Bethsunshine
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 5:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I think they are being selfish and greedy. The kids are the ones who are suffering. Homeschooling anyone? :)

Join us in Christian Homeschoolers!!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/3200

usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 10, 2012 at 7:00 PM

I saw that on the news this morning & when the news anchor asked what will the parents do I yelled at the TV "HOMESCHOOL!"

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN