Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I can't believe that.....

Posted by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 8:08 PM
  • 6 Replies

my daughter did so well!!!

Today was rather a longer day for her.  We had a lot of new things to cover.  We have done pennies before but it has been awhile.  We went over addition and subtraction (I am teaching at the same time using fact families). 

My favorite thing (one thing I was dreading) and what she got the easiest was long vowel sounds.  I started out by writing the vowels on the board twice.  Then I put the short sign over one row of vowels and the long sign over the other row.  We discussed the difference between long and short.   Then I put cut on the board and had her read it.  After she read it I told her to watch what happens when you add an (e) to the end.  Then I explained that the (u) would say its own name (long vowel) and the e was silent (I said this in a whisper.  At first she didn't get it.  But by the third time we did it, she had gotten the concept!!!  I am just so very very excited. 

Then she had a worksheet to do.  She had a picture of a plane and a picture of a bat.  Then she had four pictures at the bottom (2 with the long a, and 2 with short a sound).  She had to cut out those pictures and glue them next to either the plane or the bat.  She did it with no problem at all!!!!

One of my fears has been put to rest.  I was so worried about teaching her the long vowels without confusing her. 

Can you tell that I am just a little excited?!!!!  I just had to share!  She was also so excited!  She wants to read so bad and she knows that this is just one more step to reading well!

by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 8:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
pixydustmommy
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Wow, that's great! Whenever my kids pull things together quickly, I always get excited!

usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 10, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Thats great that she did well!

AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 9:33 PM

COOL!

ProudMommy05.07
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 11:05 PM
That is super exciting!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 10, 2012 at 11:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Don't you love when they really show you what they can do?

BramblePatch
by on Sep. 10, 2012 at 11:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Aweome! My 5 year old started long A today on our first day. It clicked, but he is a natural reader.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)