Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Great Artists & Composers... (poig)

Posted by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 2:04 AM
  • 11 Replies

So, I'm trying to be more hands on this year. I started a timeline on the wall and we are going to be alternating Artists and compsers, twice a week (Tue/Thurs) as we learn about history this year....our first will be Leonardo da Vinci.

Tuesday ....We will read about him, look at some of his great works and add his birth/death dates to our tieline, and mark where he lived on the world map. Then the kids are going to "disect" some objects and diagram them. (old VHS tapes that we have DVD copies of)

Thursday ...They will have the choice of designing an invention or of sketching our pets. Leonardo loved cats and sketched them regularly.

We are using a combination of "Focus on Artists", and "Discovering Great Artists". At the end of the yearwe wil ltour several museums, art galleries and cemetaries in the area to see works of the greats.

We will probably watch, "The Da Vinci Code" on Friday for family movie night. I believe they have seen it before. It would add an interesting element.

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 2:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Sep. 11, 2012 at 9:39 AM
Awesome!
mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 11, 2012 at 10:23 AM

That's cool.

I want to get some sort of timeline up and going this year.

oredeb
by on Sep. 11, 2012 at 10:37 AM

jinx sounds great!!! adding that davinci code is a fun element! great discussions you'll have!

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Sep. 11, 2012 at 10:50 AM
Thanks ladies....I'm really trying to get the kids more hands on and interested this year.

I can't decide what composer to do next week...uggg...trying to decide if I want to start in the middle ages and work forward...or jump around and and do an older then a contemporary, and back n forth
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 11, 2012 at 12:12 PM

That's great, I would pick a composer from around the same time as the artist, but that's just me.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Sep. 11, 2012 at 12:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Hmmm....... That's  an idea :) However, there aren't many examples of composers around the Renaissance time period. I spent an hour or so making a timeline/graph of the artists and compsers in excel.

I will definitelly do that as we get into the Baroque. I'm thinking my first 2 wil be Vivaldi (Tuesay) and Bach (Thursday)  They were within a couple years of each other in birth and death. I have a video of Vivaldi's Seasons with orhcestra and scenery for the different seasons - it's BEAUTIFUL!  So we will put that on while we do school Tuessday and I will play some Bach on Thursday.  :)

Quoting usmom3:

That's great, I would pick a composer from around the same time as the artist, but that's just me.

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Sep. 12, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Wow! great thinking Jinx. :)   And I loved watching the Da Vinci Code.  Make sure you have popcorn as it is a great movie. And so is the second one.  And usmom's idea of doing a composeron the same timeline is awesome too. :)   

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Sep. 12, 2012 at 3:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I found the second one, Angels and Demons, a bit more dark than Da Vinci code (and it has a scene or two DD will be sent out of hte room for) so I think the kids can skip #2 but maybe I'll do the double feature once they go to bed...hehe

Quoting kirbymom:

Wow! great thinking Jinx. :)   And I loved watching the Da Vinci Code.  Make sure you have popcorn as it is a great movie. And so is the second one.  And usmom's idea of doing a composeron the same timeline is awesome too. :)   

kirbymom
by Sonja on Sep. 12, 2012 at 3:32 PM

That is what I do too. Send them out of the room when I feel it is too much for them. :)

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

I found the second one, Angels and Demons, a bit more dark than Da Vinci code (and it has a scene or two DD will be sent out of hte room for) so I think the kids can skip #2 but maybe I'll do the double feature once they go to bed...hehe

Quoting kirbymom:

undefined

Channell07
by Member on Sep. 13, 2012 at 9:02 AM
Confessions of a homeschooler has her artist study volume 1 and 2 for free download. You should check it out. Would maybe be a good supplement to what you're going to do!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN