Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Learning Japanese?

Posted by on Sep. 16, 2012 at 9:30 AM
  • 3 Replies

So my 12 year old wants to learn Japanese. I told him that if he would buckle down this semester and show me that he is trying with his work, that next semester he could learn Japanese. Thankfully, my little brother speaks it pretty well, so he can tutor Hunter, but what is a good languege software for that age? Is Rosetta Stone as good as they say (and worth the money?). Has anyone had a kid learn Japanese?

by on Sep. 16, 2012 at 9:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
oredeb
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 9:46 AM

heres a bump for ya!

Laurelei
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 4:04 PM

My daughter is 12 and sooo interested in anime/manga and Japanese culture. She is learning Japanese now through the Primsleaur audio cd's. There are eight 30-minute lessons in the first course, which you can then follow-up with a "gold level" course. This is a very conversational course -- based entirely on listening and speaking. Holly LOVES it and is picking it up very quickly.

It is cheaper than Rosetta Stone, and we decided to use it as a way to guage her interest and commitment. After she has completed Primsleur, we will move into Rosetta Stone, I think.

You might also check out Mango, which is available through some libraries. http://www.mangolanguages.com/

pixydustmommy
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Thanks I will look into that!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN