Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Sibling Love...

Posted by on Sep. 16, 2012 at 10:42 AM
  • 12 Replies
My kiddos are very close..I think it is mostly because they are together 24/7 and they are each others best friends.
My oldest two (boy and girl) have their moments..and they will argue. But if I separate them they complain. Lol. My middle child and youngest are super close (both girls) I just love seeing them all snuggled up together watch a movies or to see all three of their heads together under a 'tent' they have all built.
I never really got along well with my brothers..but we didn't homeschool until we were older. I am close with one of them now..but not with the other. I often wonder if we had homeschooled at a younger age if we would be closer?
Do you feel that homeschooling helps your kids to be closer?
by on Sep. 16, 2012 at 10:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oredeb
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 9:51 AM
3 moms liked this

i think it depends on the kids, and sometimes the life style, things that will throw kids together in families, also i wonder if it depends on how the parents are, if they are raised without a dad for some makes kids closer, or if theres some kinda abuse in a family

AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on Sep. 17, 2012 at 9:53 AM

This. My kids CAN be close, but they can also fight like cats and dogs. My brother's kids are the same. (He public schools.)

Quoting oredeb:

i think it depends on the kids, and sometimes the life style, things that will throw kids together in families

Knightquester
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 2:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I do suspect homeschooling can have some kind of link to closer family bonds, not just siblings but also a closer bond to parents.

This isn't the case with all homeschooling families and I do agree with a previous poster that the closeness of a family more than likely directly links to how close the parents are and how they were raised, and how stable and positive the children's home life is.

For us our children have grown to where they rarely fight and they love to do things together on a daily basis.  They each have their own friends that for the most part have become all of the children's friends but I have noticed that the best friends my children have are each other.  As for home life they do have parents that very rarely disagree, so they aren't raised in a household where their parents are loud or fighting which may be a contributing factor in how well they get along with each other.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Sep. 17, 2012 at 2:46 PM
2 moms liked this

I am going to go out on a limb here...

Homeschooling may have AN effect but is not what your thinking of.  It is how the children are being raised/have been raised that brings a closeness of family or where there is no closeness of family.  And, lordy help me for saying this, but some families are close even though they have children in the public schools. My aunt and 3 cousins were never homeschooled and they are a very close-knit family.  That is why I say it is how people are raised that is what makes the closeness or the lack thereof.  Does this make sense to anyone besides me?  :)

tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Sep. 17, 2012 at 6:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting kirbymom:

Homeschooling may have AN effect but is not what your thinking of.  It is how the children are being raised/have been raised that brings a closeness of family or where there is no closeness of family.  And, lordy help me for saying this, but some families are close even though they have children in the public schools. My aunt and 3 cousins were never homeschooled and they are a very close-knit family.  That is why I say it is how people are raised that is what makes the closeness or the lack thereof.  Does this make sense to anyone besides me?  :)

I totally agree with you Kibry :) I wasn't trying to imply that public school kids are capably of being close with their siblings. I was more or less meaning they are closer because they are together more because we homeschool..and frankly..they don't really have a choice. They are together 24/7 and have to get along. Lol
I do find that it seems sometimes that society tries to tell our children that it isn't fun or normal to be friends with your siblings. I find that sad and hope to combat that. )
tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Sep. 17, 2012 at 6:05 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree that it has a lot to do with the lifestyle and the way they are raised. Plus the parents matter as well. :)
kirbymom
by Sonja on Sep. 17, 2012 at 6:35 PM

I knew that. :)  

Quoting tiredmomfor2:

Quoting kirbymom:

I totally agree with you Kibry :) I wasn't trying to imply that public school kids are capably of being close with their siblings. I was more or less meaning they are closer because they are together more because we homeschool..and frankly..they don't really have a choice. They are together 24/7 and have to get along. Lol
I do find that it seems sometimes that society tries to tell our children that it isn't fun or normal to be friends with your siblings. I find that sad and hope to combat that. )

That is  so true and it is very sad indeed. I think that we homeschoolers are a great influence on this next generation and how that next generation grows up thinking and doing.  :)   

undefined

tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Sep. 17, 2012 at 7:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting kirbymom:

I figured you did. ;o) and I agree.
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Sep. 18, 2012 at 7:27 AM
I agree :)

Quoting kirbymom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 18, 2012 at 9:02 AM

I also think it's more to do with how you raise your kids, than whether or not they are homeschooled. I've seen plenty of families, homeschool and not, where the kids just fight all the time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN