Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling and Work - How Do You Do It?

Posted by on Sep. 16, 2012 at 9:48 PM
  • 12 Replies

I am really wanting to homeschool my son who is now 11. I have pretty much decided that we will give this a go next school year. My concern is that we both work full time. Is this even possible? We both work M-F dayshift hrs. I'll do what I have to do to make it work but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

by on Sep. 16, 2012 at 9:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
zebrachick83
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 8:08 AM
1 mom liked this

There are lots of parents who homeschool, even though they work outside the home. They just use evenings and afternoons to do the bulk of their one-on-one schooling. The biggest issue is making sure that someone is with your child during the day that can provide supervision and help him work on his independent study. You'll also have to make sure that whoever is providing the care during the day gets him out to do activities regularly so that he's not cooped up inside the house. That's a recipe for a child who hates homeschooling...lol.

Homeschooling, writing, JW mom to three. Wife to one and only. expecting girl

Hsmom1966
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 10:17 AM

For us, I work overnight and I get home about 5:15 a.m.  I take a 4 hour nap or longer if I can while dad is teaching our son.  Then once I am awake I work with our son and we go over what they have done.  Then if we have a field trip planned or an outing, we get going.  We take every opportunity to keep things going for our family needs here.  Shifting whenever we need to so that we can and do accommodate each other's needs.  It's all about team work.  :)  with lots of practice and patience!    

JDsmomma07
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 10:48 AM

I work 2-3 mornings out of the week but luckily I have my dad to do a little work with my son whether it's reading a book or doing worksheets. He's very old school and doesn't really have the patience for hands on activities.  But I like going to work knowing that my son is learning something new and reinforcing what he already knows instead of sitting in front of the tv for 3 hours watching cartoons. Granted,  there are some educational shows there but my dad tends to put on the cartoons instead.   My dad also takes him outside to kick the ball and take a walk so he's not cooped up all morning.  When I get home (before lunch), I'll do something hands on with ds, we will have lunch, and then sometimes ds has his recreational classes to go to. I work every afternoon/early evening so dh lets him watch an educational show and reads some books with him or sometimes does some arts and crafts.  I come home in time for us to have dinner together.  I make it a point to make sure ds has some socialization every week and a fun class that he can enjoy away from home.  

denmomof3
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 12:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi, I started homeschooling my 11 year old daughter this year.  I also have a 13 year old son but he did not wish to be homeschooled.  We live in a very small rural area and I was very unhappy with our school, which by the way happens to be the only school in our area.  They had been at this same school since headstart but many things have changed due to the administration and school board.  Needless to say, I pulled both my kids out.  My son is now attending a school that is 45 minutes away from our home and he travels with me on a daily basis since I have to commute to work.  My daughter on the other hand had tons of anxiety switching to a different school and she was lacking in confidence because her grades had really fallen down the last couple of years.  At the end of last school year, while she was at the public school, I found Time4Learning and started using it to try and teach her some of the skills that she was not being taught in her math.  We found that she was learning things that her teacher just would not take the time to explain to her (the teacher would just tell her that she was lazy and didn't want to learn). 

My daughter loved what she had found with Time4learning and begged me to let her try homeschooling this year.   After talking to my husband about it, we decided to let her give it a try.  I didn't know if I would be able to pull it off since both my husband and I work full time.  Also, I do have a masters degree but it doesn't mean that I am able to teach her what she needs to learn.  I'm not great in math so this was a huge concern for me.  After doing a lot of research, I found that there are some great curriculums out there and several of them rely on using a computer or internet connection (such as Time4learning).  After finding this out, we decided to go ahead and let her try it.   My daughter is using Time4Learning for her Language Arts, Social Studies and Math. She also uses Teaching Textbooks for the extra help with Math and Switched on Schoolhouse for Earth Science. We also use workbooks and textbooks to supplement some of her studies and to give her a much needed break from the computer.

My daughter has had the same sitter since she was 2 months old and she is more of a grandmother to both of my kids.  She offered to help us with this and so did my sitter's daughter.  So far, she is doing well with this computer/virtual approach and does a lot of it on her own but my sitter's daughter (who is excellent in math) sits with her while she is doing math to make sure that she is getting it.  We use the evenings to go over things she doesn't understand or if there is something in the textbook that I want to expand on with regards to what she is already learning. I try to make Fridays kind of fun by doing science experiments with her during the evenings (which she looks forward to).  We also make sure that she is doing PE and she is also doing an art program.  We use the weekends if necessary to do some of the PE and Art stuff.

Our family thinks that we are crazy for doing this but I have found that people have this idea that you have to be a stay at home mom to make this work.  I think that as long as you have some support you can make it work out.  If my kids were younger, I probably wouldn't have done it this way but now that my kids are older and a little more indepedent with their work, I certainly think it can be done.  I now see my daughter who is much more motivated and excited to learn.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Sep. 17, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Hi janesgirl! Welcome! :)

You certainly can do this, if you want to.  I think the previous posters had some great advice.  I really like what denmomof3 said.  Are you able to find  someone that is willing to *sit* and possibly help some during the days when you are at work?  

undefined

janesgirl4297
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 4:47 PM

I don't have anyone right now. I'm going to start asking around very soon. I am very grateful to your replies. The more I learn the less impossible it sounds. :)

awilliams77
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 2:57 AM
Our children have always been home schooled, now ages 12, 17, 19 and 22. I started working 8 yrs ago. Full time, but second shift hours with 2 weekdays off. That gave me 2 full days and 3 half days with the children. My husband generally works days, M-F.
Are there any alternative shifts available at your company? Or, would you be able to go part time and still make it financially?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Sep. 18, 2012 at 7:01 AM
Bump for more. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
denmomof3
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 5:55 PM

BUMP!

janesgirl4297
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 8:12 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)