Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

My chaotic cabinet is organized finally!

Posted by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 3:00 PM
  • 9 Replies

Sooooo....

We had a LOT of stuff that just got shoved in to our wall of cabinets in the dining (now school) room.  Needless to say, this made for a fairly bothersome organizational issue.  All our school supplies were shoved in what little space I could find, in two seperate cabinets.

I removed EVERY single item from one cabinet, and I have made it our official school cabinet.  Most everything has a new home now, and a lot of stuff is getting tossed in to the dumpster today.  I was surprised how much junk we had that we didn't need lol. Our dining room is a disaster area right now of course, because I still need to put all the other stuff in their new areas, and run the 3 boxes of junk to the dumpster (assuming the torrential down pours stop for at least 10 minutes).  But it is done.  Next step, move our table to the living room, and desks and play kitchen to the dining room lol.  I got the dining area all set up with some great decorations and made it very bright and fun...so DH agreed to not let my hard work go to waste, and has consented to rearranging the entire living room (which luckily is just a couch, and now a table) to make it a family and dining area, and make the dining room a classroom.  It will be nice to have an area JUST for them.  

And it's only temporary...we're only at this apartment for another few years until he finishes grad school.  HOpefully we can afford at least a nice rental house, and more space for learning.  Because one cabinet is not going to be enough for supplies for very long LOL!  I wish I had thought to get a before pic, but here is the after.  Considering the fact that I have severe chronic disorganization lol, I'm rather proud of my achievement today! 

Check it out...my functional school supply cabinet...and yes, that is a pink trick or treat pumpkin.  They make for great crayon storage.  And our first aid kit is also within reach.  

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 3:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Sep. 17, 2012 at 3:07 PM

That is so awesome! Congratulations katzmeow!  :)   Now come over to my house and show me how you did that so I can copycat you and get this done for me and mine!  ahahahahaha  :))

pixydustmommy
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Very well done! My homeschool cabinet is in my bedroom, and it's almost done! Woohoo! I'm chronically unorginzed too, so I know what an acheivment this is!

usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 17, 2012 at 3:22 PM

We remodeled our dining room in to a computer/learning center but it is still not completely finished so I can't organize it the way I would like to. Your cabinets look great, here's to hopping mine will look as good as yours when I get them straitened around!

katzmeow726
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Really it was easy.

Clear out the cabinet(s) you want to use, totally.  Organize the items into groups.  Things you want to keep, things to toss/donate, and things that will be moved.  

Then just place everything back in a more organized fashion :-D 

Quoting kirbymom:

That is so awesome! Congratulations katzmeow!  :)   Now come over to my house and show me how you did that so I can copycat you and get this done for me and mine!  ahahahahaha  :))

katzmeow726
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 4:15 PM
1 mom liked this

We still have some word to do as well.  We're moving their desks into the room.  They love the desks, we bought a princess one for DD, and a Cars (or, in his words, ZOOM ZOOM DESK!) desk for DS.  I have some more things I want to hang on the walls.  I'm wanting to do a bulletin board type thing. It will have the month we are in, and a border that will correlate to the month. Inside, I want to print out pictures of some of the various topics we are going to cover.
     If I had it already, this month would have mail boxes, postal workers, doctors and nurses, Trapezoids, Pentagons, and hexagons (oddly enough, my kids can tell you what an Octagon is, and how many sides.  So we are moving from basic shapes in to more complicated ones since they already know basics like the back of their hands).  We would have the numbers we plan to cover this month, maybe a picture of scissors, since we're learning how to use them properly, and pictures of the bible stories we are covering this month.

I also want one to frame a part of the wall where I hang some of the work they do every week.  We already have one cool map of the US I got from Nat Geo hanging up.  I traced the outlines of the states by hand...ugh, and since I had almost NO lines to guide me I had to go from memory and a map on my phone.  I was quite pleased lol. It says "oh the places you'll go!" and we put in a safety pin on each city we have visited in the U.S.  Only a few so far, but then again they are only 3, hehe.

We also want a fun rug for activities, music, and reading time.  And I want to move their toy kitchen in there. I'm also buying some of the cheapo spice racks from dollar tree, and will be using them as book shelves for our reading corner, which I will have some bean bag chairs set up for comfy reading...

Okay, sorry for the book, and poor typing.  Can you tell I am having fun with setting up our classroom?  HEHE! 

Quoting usmom3:

We remodeled our dining room in to a computer/learning center but it is still not completely finished so I can't organize it the way I would like to. Your cabinets look great, here's to hopping mine will look as good as yours when I get them straitened around!

SuperMommy408
by Tamara on Sep. 17, 2012 at 4:44 PM
1 mom liked this
It looks great, I really need a cabinet and a bookshelf, so that we can be more organized also..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kirbymom
by Sonja on Sep. 17, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Wow! you have some really great ideas!  I wish I could fly you here to do my organizing!  :)

Quoting katzmeow726:

We still have some word to do as well.  We're moving their desks into the room.  They love the desks, we bought a princess one for DD, and a Cars (or, in his words, ZOOM ZOOM DESK!) desk for DS.  I have some more things I want to hang on the walls.  I'm wanting to do a bulletin board type thing. It will have the month we are in, and a border that will correlate to the month. Inside, I want to print out pictures of some of the various topics we are going to cover.
     If I had it already, this month would have mail boxes, postal workers, doctors and nurses, Trapezoids, Pentagons, and hexagons (oddly enough, my kids can tell you what an Octagon is, and how many sides.  So we are moving from basic shapes in to more complicated ones since they already know basics like the back of their hands).  We would have the numbers we plan to cover this month, maybe a picture of scissors, since we're learning how to use them properly, and pictures of the bible stories we are covering this month.

I also want one to frame a part of the wall where I hang some of the work they do every week.  We already have one cool map of the US I got from Nat Geo hanging up.  I traced the outlines of the states by hand...ugh, and since I had almost NO lines to guide me I had to go from memory and a map on my phone.  I was quite pleased lol. It says "oh the places you'll go!" and we put in a safety pin on each city we have visited in the U.S.  Only a few so far, but then again they are only 3, hehe.

We also want a fun rug for activities, music, and reading time.  And I want to move their toy kitchen in there. I'm also buying some of the cheapo spice racks from dollar tree, and will be using them as book shelves for our reading corner, which I will have some bean bag chairs set up for comfy reading...

Okay, sorry for the book, and poor typing.  Can you tell I am having fun with setting up our classroom?  HEHE! 

Quoting usmom3:

undefined

coala
by Silver Member on Sep. 17, 2012 at 4:59 PM

That is awesome!!!  I have most of our supplies in the living room/dining room organized.  Now on to my craft supplies and the overflow.  I also suffer from chronic disorganization.  I will have to do some before and after shots of mine as well.  My office space is a mess which is where everything ends up.  Congrats on the classroom and your awesome organization efforts.

oredeb
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 5:06 PM

yea!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN