Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Super simple and fun birdfeeder craft!! (w/pics)

Posted by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 4:04 PM
  • 9 Replies
1 mom liked this

We had so much fun with this today, I thought I would share with everyone.  This is so easy, everyone in the family can help!  Most likely you will have all the supplies you need around the house. 

This week my son is studying birds in their natural habitat.  One of the projects was to make a birdfeeder and observe what happens.  So here it is......

The supplies needed are a grapefruit, wooden skewers or pencils, twine(we used jewelry cording), and bird seed.  Cut the grapefruit in half, remove pulp.  Punch 3 evenly spaced holes towards the top of the grapefruit.  Thread twine through one of the holes and secure with a knot.  Repeat with the other holes.  Tie all 3 strings together at the top.  Place 3 wooden skewers through the center for a perch.  Fill with seed and watch the birds enjoy!

by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 4:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 17, 2012 at 4:28 PM
1 mom liked this

That's cool!

SuperMommy408
by Tamara on Sep. 17, 2012 at 4:39 PM
1 mom liked this
That's awesome, I bet my kids would love to make this,we're going to study birds next month and we will try this thanks..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 5:09 PM
1 mom liked this

andrea thats so neat! good job kids!! we are gona do it also tell them thanks!

love the pictures

kirbymom
by Sonja on Sep. 17, 2012 at 5:55 PM
1 mom liked this

That is super fantastic Andrea!  Those kids of yours are so cute too.  I am going to get this and do this with my kids. I know they would love doing this and we all love having the birds in our yard anyway, so this will be perfect. lol :)

tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Sep. 18, 2012 at 12:04 AM
1 mom liked this
That is very cool!
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Sep. 18, 2012 at 7:09 AM
1 mom liked this
How cute!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Sep. 18, 2012 at 8:03 AM
1 mom liked this
Aw, how neat! That's a great idea! We make bird feeders out of all kinds of things, but I haven't thought to use grapefruit peels yet. Cool!

I see your kids are dressed for autumn. It's still hot as the surface of the sun here and I'm lucky to get clothes on LO at all. How about sending some of that cool air down to Florida?
mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 18, 2012 at 8:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Aw, cute! Great project!

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Sep. 18, 2012 at 10:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I sure wish I could send this cold air your way!!  It's going to get down to the 40's tonight....time to turn on the heat.  I guess I don't mind, fall is my favorite season.  I love the leaves, and the sky is so uniquely colored this time of the year.:) 

Quoting tuffymama:

Aw, how neat! That's a great idea! We make bird feeders out of all kinds of things, but I haven't thought to use grapefruit peels yet. Cool!

I see your kids are dressed for autumn. It's still hot as the surface of the sun here and I'm lucky to get clothes on LO at all. How about sending some of that cool air down to Florida?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)