Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

New to homeschooling where do I start??

Posted by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 11:21 PM
  • 7 Replies

Hello everyone, my name is Mary I am going to start homeschooling my 2 boys soon they are ages 6 and 8yrs old..My 6 year old has ADHD that is one of the mail reason we have decided to homescool.He has sleep issues and behavior issues which really make dealing with public schools next to impossible and we chose not to medicate himand I hear alot from teachers there are alot of good medicines out there for ADHDyou just have to find the rite one..My child is not a Guinea Pig and we did try one medication which made the skin peel off his hands and feet so medication is not an option for him. I wanna remove them from school at theend of September  is that a wise choice or is waiting for the end of the school year better for them? Any information that I can get on affordable cirriculum I would very much appreciate..Thankyou all:)

by on Sep. 17, 2012 at 11:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Sep. 17, 2012 at 11:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Sounds exactly like my DS that I pulled out at then end of his 1st grade year.

I would say pull him ASAP. Why wait for more damage to be done? He is starting 7th grade this year and it is the first time he would even consider a co~op class because he was terrified of being in a school-like setting.

We use a multi~sensory approach whenever possible.
All About Spelling for phonics and spelling
Write Source for writing
Math U See for mastery of the basics....kinder to 4th grade each years ..starting with 1st~addition, 2nd subtraction, multiplication and then division. For 5th we switched to a computer based spiral program.. Teaching Textbooks.

For science I use Science in a Nutshell boxes for my 7th and 4th grader. We started them 3 years ago when they were 1st and 3rd grades (We have skipped DS grade around a lot)

History we jump around....4th we did the state standard of learning about our state. 5th we did US history. We skipped 6th..lol..and for 7th are doing ancient history and religions and a timeline. We do a lot of history channel and documentarys.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
myfamily04
by Member on Sep. 17, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Thank you very much this information is very helpful to me:) I am pulling them out ASAP just wanna get everything in order and have their cirriculum ready I am a little nervous but I feel the schools really aren'thelping my boys again thank you!!

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Sep. 17, 2012 at 11:51 PM
I also stick somewhat to the state curriculum for Science but we veer off into what the kids find interesting. We use a homeschool charter school so we have minimal accountability but max flexability.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Sep. 18, 2012 at 7:10 AM
1 mom liked this
I just want to say good for you or not medicating! And welcome!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 18, 2012 at 11:25 AM

My advise is remove them now & take the time from now to the beginning of next year to deschool them & deschool yourself. Trust me this is a step that can help make the transition easier on all of you because homeschooling is nothing like PS.

oredeb
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 11:44 AM
1 mom liked this

hi mary!! yea for not medicating your child!!! good for you!!

now first of all you need to check out your homeschool law and do what it says  http://www.homeschoollegaladvantage.com/resources/homeschool-laws-by-state

and as usmom suggests  deschool them and your self!!!!   as for curriculum what are you interested in ? secular or christian?

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 12:55 AM
1 mom liked this

We are struggling with impulse control and behavior issues.   They both were in PS and had issues.   KG teacher for my son wanted to work with him on sensory objects and such... so I think they were going toward that with him, too.

My daughter has been depressed on and off, even though she's only 10.   We pulled her out of public school because she couldn't handle things socially. 

Long story short...  I'm going to try them on St. John's Wort and see what that does.   I had a Christian psychologist talk with me a bit about what they are going through and he agreed that St. John's might help.

Just thought I'd mention it.

As for the homeschooling, find out your state laws first about homeschooling.   Every state is different.   You can check out the HSLDA website and they should have links on their website for your particular state.

Once you know your laws, you can start looking into what type of schooling you want to do....   from unschooling, ecclectic (where you pull together different resources to teach from), following one particular curriculum, E-schools, charter schools, co-ops, etc. etc...

I, personally, am ecclectic.   I use the computer, TV, traditional curriculum text books, learning by reading exerpts from books, etc..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)