Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

help with field trips for a second grader please

Posted by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 12:27 PM
  • 14 Replies

trying to think of fun and eduacational field trips for ds.  I can always think of great nature trips, but would love some more ideas.

also bible study type field trips.

thank you for your help.

by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 12:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oredeb
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 12:31 PM

where are you located at? there might be some childrens museums etc there?

some kinda of kids festival

is there something he perticularly likes? find a field trip on it in your town

ohh do you have a pumpkin mazise there? those are fun

usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 18, 2012 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I would do a google search for interesting off the wall places to go to in your aria. A few towns over from where I live there is a Creationism museum that tells how dinosaurs did live along side man & ties all that information to the bible, not many people know about it, it is an interesting place to go.

Precious333
by Julia on Sep. 18, 2012 at 12:41 PM

we live in LA and there are so many things here I take my kids to, they usually have homeschooling days where you can get in for cheaper :) But really, any kind of outing can be turned in to a learning experience/field trip.  Also, you can ask around different places. Fro instance, I have a photography class I teach to homeschoolers. I contacted a local photography studio and they gave us a tour, a lesson and a free photoshoot!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 18, 2012 at 12:55 PM

I'm taking my crew to the pumpkin festival and an apple picking/cidering in October.  We are visiting a one room schoolhouse and (weather permitting) an environmental ed day at a local state park in November.  We're going to grandma's house twice in December to do trips to the Johnstown Flood museums and then to the Heritage Discovery museum downtown!

I haven't planned next "semester's" trips yet.

In Sept, we went to a Farmer's and Thresherman's Jubilee.  The boys got to ride on one of the steam engines and thresh using the old beater sticks!  They had a great time and learned all about the modernization of the threshing process.

oredeb
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 1:24 PM

wow usmom, we have one of those just a few miles up into washington state, (creationism museum) up by the mt st helens volcano, didnt realise they were other places!

Quoting usmom3:

I would do a google search for interesting off the wall places to go to in your aria. A few towns over from where I live there is a Creationism museum that tells how dinosaurs did live along side man & ties all that information to the bible, not many people know about it, it is an interesting place to go.

usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 18, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Cool I didn't know there where others! Here is the website for the one here

http://mtblanco.com/index.htm

Quoting oredeb:

wow usmom, we have one of those just a few miles up into washington state, (creationism museum) up by the mt st helens volcano, didnt realise they were other places!

Quoting usmom3:

mommytobooger
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 1:33 PM

WOW! thank you for all the ides! i am researching our state and town now. we live in CT, we do have a couple great museum here, but i will be looking for other things as well. thank you agian.

swim-mom72
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Post office

Fire Dept.

Chamber of Commerce

Local courthouse

Zoo

Animal shelter

We went on a behind the scenes tour of a local movie theatre once and that was a big hit with my boys. Our co-op did a tour at an area CiCi's and they got to make their own pizza. Of course, this needs to be scheduled ahead of time because they have to plan for it and open the store before regular lunch hour starts.

Radio sation

Doctor's office

Library

Channell07
by Member on Sep. 18, 2012 at 4:39 PM
Theres a creationism museum in cincinnati Ohio also. Funny note: we were on vacation in Orlando Florida and we saw a billboard for the one in cincinnati. Said something like 958 miles ahead! There's some advertising! Lol
Quoting usmom3:

sourflower
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 7:06 PM

What a great idea! I want to go to a Creationism museum. My kids would love that!

Quoting usmom3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)