Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

help with field trips for a second grader please

Posted by   + Show Post

trying to think of fun and eduacational field trips for ds.  I can always think of great nature trips, but would love some more ideas.

also bible study type field trips.

thank you for your help.

by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 12:27 PM
Replies (11-14):
sourflower
by on Sep. 18, 2012 at 7:08 PM

We have an orchard a couple towns over that will let you go pick your own apples. I really want to take my kids over there! :)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I'm taking my crew to the pumpkin festival and an apple picking/cidering in October.  We are visiting a one room schoolhouse and (weather permitting) an environmental ed day at a local state park in November.  We're going to grandma's house twice in December to do trips to the Johnstown Flood museums and then to the Heritage Discovery museum downtown!

I haven't planned next "semester's" trips yet.

In Sept, we went to a Farmer's and Thresherman's Jubilee.  The boys got to ride on one of the steam engines and thresh using the old beater sticks!  They had a great time and learned all about the modernization of the threshing process.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 18, 2012 at 8:53 PM

If we help the local farm pick the apples and crank the press, we'll get a few gallons of the cider.  We did it last year and the boys LOVED cranking the press.  We did all kinds of math, pounds in a bushel, # of bushels to # of gallons, how many ounces we did.  The older kids loved listening to my little guys asking questions and seeing all the calculators that came out to answer them!

Quoting sourflower:

We have an orchard a couple towns over that will let you go pick your own apples. I really want to take my kids over there! :)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I'm taking my crew to the pumpkin festival and an apple picking/cidering in October.  We are visiting a one room schoolhouse and (weather permitting) an environmental ed day at a local state park in November.  We're going to grandma's house twice in December to do trips to the Johnstown Flood museums and then to the Heritage Discovery museum downtown!

In Sept, we went to a Farmer's and Thresherman's Jubilee.  The boys got to ride on one of the steam engines and thresh using the old beater sticks!  They had a great time and learned all about the modernization of the threshing process.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Sep. 19, 2012 at 12:59 AM

If the Creation museum isn't close enough to you, there might be some Creation Science Seminars nearby.    Not sure how "2nd" grade it is... but my daughter is one of those braniac type kids and she managed to enjoy one our church held once.   She zoned out a few times, but paid enough attention to absorb some of it.... and afterward, they had some artifacts that she could look at...

sourflower
by on Sep. 19, 2012 at 11:29 AM
1 mom liked this

That's super cool! I haven't contacted the people to see what all they offer. I've seen it advertised a few different times in various brochures/bulletins around town. I hope they let us do an apple press, my little ones would LOVE that!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

If we help the local farm pick the apples and crank the press, we'll get a few gallons of the cider.  We did it last year and the boys LOVED cranking the press.  We did all kinds of math, pounds in a bushel, # of bushels to # of gallons, how many ounces we did.  The older kids loved listening to my little guys asking questions and seeing all the calculators that came out to answer them!

Quoting sourflower:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN