Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Going Crazy

Posted by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 4:38 PM
  • 10 Replies
I am having the hardest time managing my time with my kids. I have my 7 6 and 5 year old doinv lessons together and my 4 3 and 2 year old doing their lessons together. But the younger group never gets enough time doing wodrk I spend most of my time wih the older group. How can I manage my time better?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 4:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oredeb
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 4:42 PM

whats your schedule look like?

when do you start school?

what subjects do you do with the youngers? and the olders

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Well, your older group should be doing more work.  The younger group should be playing more.  My 7yo does about 6-7 hours of work per day (except Fridays), my 5yo does about 5 and my 3yo does about 2 (split up quite a bit!)  So it would seem that I was spending much more time with my 7yo's lessons!

What are you doing with each group?

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 5:49 PM
2 moms liked this

Hm, this is a toughie.

I would change what exactly you think the younger ones should be learning. I would fill a tub with sensory toys and turn on some educational music. Let them explore their world and they'll pick up stuff along the way. Don't worry they can't say the ABC's in 3 languages. Put on a CD that has them on it and they'll learn while they play.

Noley03
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 11:40 AM
With the older group I am doing math english history science
And the youngergroup abc numbers shapes colors
He older group is doing some rype of activity from 9-4 with breaks and the tounger group works 2hours a day during the older groups breaks. So this is okay?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 12:30 PM
1 mom liked this

yes thats ok!! hey have the older kids help with the younger kids, my kids loved that big sister would be helping them!

Quoting Noley03:

He older group is doing some rype of activity from 9-4 with breaks and the tounger group works 2hours a day during the older groups breaks. So this is okay?

kirbymom
by Sonja on Sep. 22, 2012 at 12:50 PM

I think you are doing fine. Since I have some similar issues with mine, I have one of my older kids work and help with one of the younger ones when I am in the middle of school with one of the other kids. I also have the older ones take turns helping with the younger ones so that they are not felling like its a chore but more like being a teacher's aide instead. They love that idea and even come up with some ideas that help themselves and the younger ones with the schoolwork. Maybe you can even combine some of their lessons so that you are not spread so far apart.?   

Quoting Noley03:

undefined

Noley03
by on Sep. 22, 2012 at 5:39 PM
Lately I have been allowing the younger ones sit with them while we do history and health the older group likes to teach them what they are learning. I motice that when they play they play sxhool often ans teaxh eachother what they learned or what they jeard me teach the younger group. I love it :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Sep. 23, 2012 at 4:37 PM

I agree! Plus helping teach reinforces the lessons for the older kids. 

OP- also keep in mind you should only be doing (at most) 45 minutes a day with the younger group. so maybe you can do an hour everyother day, and on the offcdays have one of the elder kids read or kead the littles in a game, etc 

Quoting oredeb:

yes thats ok!! hey have the older kids help with the younger kids, my kids loved that big sister would be helping them!

Quoting Noley03:

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Sep. 24, 2012 at 6:16 AM
You make me feel like a slacker! Lol, jk. My 7 yo only works 3-4 hours a day, depending on if she focuses or not. I do prek with the 3 yo m/w/f but maybe 30-45 minutes of work. We do workboxes. By work, I mean play mostly. I do throw in a trace the letter page, coloring page, a little glue or scissor project, a book, and an artsy activity.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Well, your older group should be doing more work.  The younger group should be playing more.  My 7yo does about 6-7 hours of work per day (except Fridays), my 5yo does about 5 and my 3yo does about 2 (split up quite a bit!)  So it would seem that I was spending much more time with my 7yo's lessons!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 24, 2012 at 11:43 AM

My 7yo added a language (spanish) this year and he's in the Advanced learner's program, so he's writing a lot of essays etc, so we have a pre-write on Monday, a draft on Tuesday, a revise on WEd, a proofread on thurs, and a type and turn in on most Fridays.  So he really chose to have all that extra work, but it ends up kickin my butt!  LOL  If I don't spend time every day with my 3yo, he throws fits.  So we do a lot of reading together and writing his name and stacking blocks by color (he's color blind, so this is VERY time consuming)  We got a really cool I Can Cut workbook that Q is doing, too! 

Quoting Boobah:

You make me feel like a slacker! Lol, jk. My 7 yo only works 3-4 hours a day, depending on if she focuses or not. I do prek with the 3 yo m/w/f but maybe 30-45 minutes of work. We do workboxes. By work, I mean play mostly. I do throw in a trace the letter page, coloring page, a little glue or scissor project, a book, and an artsy activity.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN