Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

OT - I love coupons!

Posted by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 4:59 PM
  • 18 Replies
4 moms liked this
Ok this has little to do with HS, except for the fact that I'm teaching the boys about finances. But I did our quarterly extreme Couponing today. I spend a little over $300 and got $500 in free groceries with my coupons! I had to warn several people who came into line behind me that I had 3 full carriages and more than 100 coupons, but by the end I had an audience who didn't believe I'd be able to get my $800 bill down to $338 - leave it to my kids to get the whole store involved! Lol sorry just had to brag!
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 4:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Good for you!!  I never seem to remember them!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Good job!!

I coupon and save between 40% -60% percent which is good enough for me, right now. One day, though...LOL

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Sep. 21, 2012 at 7:32 PM
2 moms liked this
Quoting bluerooffarm:

Good for you!!  I never seem to remember them!

It's almost a full-time job to get the big savings. You have to be willing to scout lots of store, be very familiar with all the stores coupon policies, get all the fliers etc. it takes me about a week, just to plan a single trip for the big savings like I got today, and it's really only possible at most 4 times per year. That's one of my biggest pet peeves on the show Extreme Coupons, they make it see. Like you can just decide to do it one day, but it takes a LOT of prep time and is only possible about once per season.
oredeb
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 7:33 PM
1 mom liked this

thats great shannon, you should run your coupon articles here again! and you should video your at the store buying with coupons!! put it on utube!!!

PEEK05
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Yes, I wish I knew how to do that lol.

awilliams77
by on Sep. 21, 2012 at 8:07 PM
I love coupons too! I usually spend an hour or two a week making a list of what is on sale, clipping the coupons to take with me. I use a local matchups site, southern savers.com . Most weeks I go to 1-2 grocery stores, and maybe a drugstore, depending what is on sale. I save 50-75% most of the time this way. I even buy produce based on what is on sale that week. When one of our favorite brands or items goes on sale, I try to stock up. I do not meal plan, rather we eat what we have on hand already, or is on sale that week. I keep the fridge, pantry, and deep freezer pretty full. Every once in a while we will need something that just isn't on sale, but that doesn't happen very often.
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Sep. 21, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Quoting awilliams77:

I love coupons too! I usually spend an hour or two a week making a list of what is on sale, clipping the coupons to take with me. I use a local matchups site, southern savers.com . Most weeks I go to 1-2 grocery stores, and maybe a drugstore, depending what is on sale. I save 50-75% most of the time this way. I even buy produce based on what is on sale that week. When one of our favorite brands or items goes on sale, I try to stock up. I do not meal plan, rather we eat what we have on hand already, or is on sale that week. I keep the fridge, pantry, and deep freezer pretty full. Every once in a while we will need something that just isn't on sale, but that doesn't happen very often.

one of the things it took me a while to realize was that all the $$ saving tips i learned as a kid do NOT work w/ extreme couponing. for instance:

1) do not buy in bulk - if you think of a bulk pkg of rice, it costs around $16, if you have a $1 off coupon that is still $15 out of pocket. So you instead get 10 of those coupons and buy 10 of those small rice packages that only cost $1.99 which means only $.99 out of pocket (at most)

2) do not buy store brabds - they almost never have coupons

3) never meal plan and make a grocery list based on it - this will inevitably require you to purchase some non-sale/couponed items. instead, build a good stock (by spending an extra $50/week for 1 month) then STOP SHOPPING! Instead, you only go to the store when a great sale matches a great coupon. 

And remember 'buy 1 get 2 free' sales mean you can still use 3 coupons!! Thats how i got most of the best deals today.

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Sep. 21, 2012 at 9:16 PM

YAY!! Great job Shannon. Thats how you show what homeschooling and brains can do!. :)  

starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Sep. 21, 2012 at 10:27 PM

I use coupons and do pretty good most of the time for my area.  The only main store we have is a walmart.  If I want to go to Publix or Kroger I have to drive at least 40 minutes out of town.  I do that about once every three months.  I wish the coupons would be as good as they used to be.  I am usually able to save more on toilet paper, paper towels, razors, shampoo, and soap rather than on groceries. 

I do save alot by price matching Kroger though.  I also go to Fred's on Saturdays because they double up to .70.  Unfortunately they only double one like coupon.  I have given my daughter a coupon and money and let her get my free deodorant and soap...lol.  I've also taken my boys several times to do the same.

I really need to get back into a little bit more.  But, the coupons that I've got are just not that great.  I am planning on going tomorrow to get some more razors and toilet paper.

I wish we had a Walgreens and CVS nearby.  When I was going to college out of town, I would stop at Walgreens and pick up their deals.  But then Extreme Couponers came on and everything was always sold out. 

But by price matching and using coupons I am able to save at least 25% most of the time depending on what I am buying.  Many times by the time I price match and then use coupons I have been able to use my overage from coupons to pay for something else I need, which is pretty good for Walmart.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Sep. 21, 2012 at 11:37 PM
Thats fantastic!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN