Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Reading Eggs website?

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 2:49 PM
  • 22 Replies

Have any of you used the Reading Eggs website?   I just started the 2 week trial and it looks really cool.  But is it worth $75 a year? 

by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 2:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2012 at 3:16 PM

buyer's co-op sometimes has sales for Reading Eggs, so it isn't as expensive for two children.  You can also sometimes find codes online to extend your time for free.

I'm trying it out for my daughter and playing some of the games with my son.  They enjoy it, but I've not come to a conclusion if it's with the money yet.  So I've used some promo codes to have more than 2 weeks to try it.

Rachel728
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Where do you find the promo codes? 

bttrflyvld
by on Sep. 23, 2012 at 4:08 PM

My daughter loved reading eggs.  The graphics are really great and the games are perfect for the age.  I would recommend it. 

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Sep. 23, 2012 at 10:10 PM
We got a code also and ended up paying just over $60
You can google coupon codes and try it for 2-5 weeks free.

We like it, but she got bored with it just a couple weeks after I decided to buy it. *sigh*

I have some issues with it but can't go into detail ATM
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 24, 2012 at 12:37 AM
We tried it with a free trial but I won't spend that much money on any program when there is so much out there that is free to use.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CrimsonRadiance
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 3:41 AM
When you get a chance, I would love to hear the problems. We have also been looking at the free trial, and actually got two promo codes for 4 weeks each free.. I liked what I saw, but we have only had it about three days, so would love input from someone who has used it longer. :)

Quoting Boobah:

We like it, but she got bored with it just a couple weeks after I decided to buy it. *sigh*

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Sep. 24, 2012 at 6:06 AM
Well, the younger section was fine, dd loved it. When I moved her to the older section because she completed all the younger lessons she started not liking it. So, I did it with her a few times, and really, she can't do it without me being close by and explaining things. I thought it taught concepts and then asked about them (like what is a verb, adjective, etc) but it didn't. It expected her to know a lot of things she didn't know. She just turned 7 in July. She reads extremely well, but I guess indeed to focus more on language arts. Our curric last year did not, and it doesn't this year much either so I'm trying to supplement.
Make sure you like it because they will not refund you. Also, you have to pay the yearly fee per child. I thought I could add my preschooler, but no, she would be another membership price. I don't think it's worth all that.

Quoting CrimsonRadiance:

When you get a chance, I would love to hear the problems. We have also been looking at the free trial, and actually got two promo codes for 4 weeks each free.. I liked what I saw, but we have only had it about three days, so would love input from someone who has used it longer. :)

Quoting Boobah:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rachel728
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 6:59 AM

Quoting usmom3:

We tried it with a free trial but I won't spend that much money on any program when there is so much out there that is free to use.

I've done a few other online educational games but have found that Reading Eggs is way better than anything else that I've found for free...so far....
Could you share some links to other programs that are free? 

romacox
by Silver Member on Sep. 24, 2012 at 7:05 AM
2 moms liked this

My babies are all grown, but I still tutor, give home school workshops, and workshops to teachers at the University of North Florida on how to teach children to read. .  Most of the children I am given to help have been taught the phonic sounds incorrectly.

Computer games are great because they physically involve the child in the learning process.  However they teach  the following  phonic sounds D,  P,  T, W, B, H, C,  K, G, and J incorrectly making it hard for the children to blend the sounds to form words.  Thus the children lose the benefit of phonics, and are forced into using the site method. They become slow or poor readers. 

It is important that you teach the phonic sounds, so you can make sure they are getting the basics right.  Here is a link that provides you, the educator, the correct sounds in video format.  Hear Phonic Sounds Free (video format)

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 24, 2012 at 12:11 PM
1 mom liked this

My boys got very bored with it.  We got abcmouse.com instead, all three boys were covered under the same price and it seemed to cover more topics.  Higher numbers and colors, farm animals, letters, books to listen to, etc.  My 3 year old is still interested in it (we're going on 10 months now!) My 7yo outgrew it quickly, but my 5yo still uses it when I'm in a pinch for review games, etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN