Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Health/Home Ec Elective Ideas

Posted by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 11:02 PM
  • 9 Replies

My 15 yo 10th grader is going back to public school next year.  We've HS for the past 2 years & I've kept up with core classes...electives are another story.  He is a computer geek, so every free moment of his has been spent on the computer.  I don't mean just cruising websites, he built his own computer & has "upgraded" his lap top.  He also uses editing programs to edit video game play and people actually pay him to do this for their youtube channels.  Since this has real world application, I've let this take precedence over pretty much everything else.  Now, I'm realizing that I'm going to have to get moving on elective stuff so he'll have enough credits to graduate on time.  What kind of electives do you do with your older kids?  

by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 11:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
usmom3
by BJ on Sep. 24, 2012 at 11:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Having him help make meals, meal planing, budgeting and sewing will count for home ec. Cooking meals &  planing them could count for health as well if you go in depth about it with him.

pixydustmommy
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 8:38 AM
1 mom liked this

I think that home ec should be prepairing them for real life. Have him make a grocery list for the week (with you observing, can't live off of twinkies! haha), do the shopping (with an adult present), and make 3 dinners and one breakfast for the family. Laundry and stain treatment. Hem a pair of pants and put a button back on (go to the thrift store, get a pair of khakis, any size and a button shirt, any size for him to work on). Budget for the fmaily for the month.

Also, automotive: he needs to leanr to change the oil,battery, and tires of a vehicle (and spark plugs if you can do it!). He also needs to lean to shop for those items, and to learn what the "dummy lights" on the dash all mean.

SusanTheWriter
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Health seems to cover a lot of human anatomy, not just the reproductive bits. I have to work out a quarter of health this year, too. I keep procrastinating on finding a curriculum!

almondpigeon
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Finally!  Somthing I'm prepared for!  I used to work in health care & every time I attended a conference, I picked up tons of anatomy sheets.  Ooooh, I can also slip in some medical terminology when talking about woord roots.  

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

Health seems to cover a lot of human anatomy, not just the reproductive bits. I have to work out a quarter of health this year, too. I keep procrastinating on finding a curriculum!

almondpigeon
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 10:11 AM
3 moms liked this

Thanks for the suggestions, ladies! I've been thinking about having him plan meals native to the countries we study in World History....it would be perfect to let him plan a meal, come up with a shopping list, give him a budget & let him do it. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone

swim-mom72
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 12:55 PM

This year, my 15 yo is taking driver's ed, second year of spanish, and is on swim team.

In the past, some electives we have done are drama through our co-op, art, typing, health, Bible study, and American Literature.

Other ideas: woodworking, first aid (seperate from health), extra science classes, foriegn languages, sign language, photography, movie making, movie history, volunteer work, and robotics.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Sep. 25, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Nice suggestions ladies! These are some great ideas for elcetives. :)  

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Sep. 25, 2012 at 4:08 PM
1 mom liked this
My boys both bake and sew, plus I usually hand over the reigns in the kitchen one night per week, where the kids can cook their own dinner. Since he likes computers so much, maybe he can create a digital cookbook, incorporating some of his fav foods?

He could also get in on the financial planning - maybe start a savings acct or give him a fictitious one where he can lean to pay monthly bills, invest, etc.

When I was in high school I belonged to DECA where I learned the ins and outs of managing a business. So maybe he can take his editing business and learn to make a business plan, budget, advertise, etc.

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

oredeb
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 12:25 PM

we did home ec, shop, art, cake decorating, sewing, us govenment, logic, debate,

heres a list of some!

Bible
Etymology
P.E. (Physical Education)
U.S. Government (.5 credit)
Personal Finance
Civics (.5 credit)
Speech
Debate
Logic
Computer Programming
CAD (Computer Aided Design)
Computer Applications
Political Science
Computer Technology
Principles of Business
Intro to Computers
Computer Networking
Webpage/Website Design
Typing/Keyboarding (.5 credit)
Intro to Engineering
Robotics
Journalism
Drafting
Graphic Communications
Cinematography
Audio Production
Multi-Media Productions
Medieval History
World Religions
Church History
Tennessee State History (Max .5 credit)
Biblical History
Mock Trial
Intro to Electronics
Constitutional Law
Anthropology
Civil Air Patrol (2 credits max)
Flight Instruction
Intro to Business
Business Management
Psychology
Sociology
Computer Literacy
Computer I & II
Apologetics
Current Events
Christian Worldview
Agriculture
Building Trades
Criminal Justice
Theology
Sign Language (does not meet foreign language requirement)
Accounting
Culinary Arts
Home Interior Design
Cosmetology
Small Animal Science
Driver Education (Max .5 credit)
Equestrian Training
Auto Shop
Shop
Carpentry
Auto Mechanics
Computer Graphic Design
Auto Body Repair
Calligraphy
Life Management
Home Economics (Recommend 2 credits max)
Woodworking
Small Engine Repair
Animal Husbandry
Equine Science
Ethics
Horticulture
Industrial Arts

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN