Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

If you have both genders, do you teach them different things?

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you teach your girls 'how' to be girls and your boys 'how' to be boys?

by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 10:35 AM
Replies (11-18):
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 10:07 AM

I didnt think about chilvary.  We are teaching my son that.  I just didnt think about actually teaching him.  He sees his dad do most of those things and we tell him not to hit girls, unless they hit him first.  Sorry I am not having my son beat up by a girl because we told him not to hit girls.  I always thought that was a wierd rule, but it is just my opinion.  I dont judge others for teaching it.  But chilvary to us is about being polite.  My kids hold the door open for everyone, probably because I do. But my husband is teaching my son through actions about being a good man.  So we have never told him to do those things. 

Quoting No_Difference:

I teach both mine to cook, clean, sew, etc BUT I also teach my son to hold a door specifically for women versus teaching them both to hold a door open for their elders. I've also taught him how to pull a chair out for someone to sit in...bascially, the things I wish my hubby would do I make sure I teach him LOL. I'm not going to lie, I get a little jealous seeing all of my neighbors when they get home and their hubby's open the car door for them and carry the majority of the things in from the car... So I've determined to teach my little guy at least basic chivalry.  I have every intention of teaching my daughter how to change tires and oil on the car, check fluids and air pressure, etc, just like I'll teach him. And I'm sure they'll both learn how to repair holes in walls, and fix a toilet/sink, and basic electrical issues too -maintenance for latter on in life when they're adults and hopefully have their own home and car so they're not spending hundreds on something they could've fixed theirsevles...

ProudMommy05.07
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 11:43 AM
I have two girls, but I let them be themselves. I do not believe the stereotypical gender roles. One loves princesses, science, and reading. The other loves pirates, dancing, and math. My husband is a better cook and does our gardening and canning (we help, he guides us).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 1:15 PM

nope, they all learn it! how to cook, sew, make menus, clean a house, scrub a toilet, do laundry, chop wood, light a fire, dress an elk or deer, bait a hook, make a bed, clean a frig, change a diaper, feed a baby, change the oil in the car, take a carbarator out, change a tire, mow the lawn, grow things, to much to name!!!...........................................................................................................

katzmeow726
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Nope.  I have boy/girl twins actually.  Funny thing is though, DD has been a girly girl from early on, and DS has been all boy.  They do play with each others toys though.  Heck, when we take DD to dance class and DS is in the lobby with me, he likes to play with the My little ponies in the toy bucket the most.  One of the parents were shocked, but it doesn't bother me.  He just likes them because they are horses, and he has played with DD's MLP toys at home.  And DD is the same, she loves playing with his box of army men toys as much as she loves her princesses.

Girlie stuff is fine with him...but heaven help you if you accidentally put one of DD's pull ups on him.  I accidentally did that one day and he walked up and pointed down while saying "mom, you're so silly...you gave me kathryne's undies" and just bursts out laughing!  

I had tears rolling down my face from laughing so hard!

AmyG1976
by Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 1:38 PM
1 mom liked this

besides girls need to wipe from frt to back... umm no

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 9:10 PM

I've taught my son to hit back even if it's a girl, but I've also told him never to strike the first blow regardless of boy or girl. I don't want my kid getting beat up either.

I've tried teaching my kids through actions but hubby is becoming more and more handicapped lately and doesn't do much when he's actually home. The kids see me holding open doors for people, and I open the door for my hubby and have to help him out of the car, but I really want my little guy to have know that is something that is nice to do when he's older. I don't want him to think that because Daddy isn't doing anything that he's going to be getting a free pass when he's older and his eventual girlfriend/wife is the one who needs to be doing all the work while he gets to take it easy. I already see him trying to coerce his big sister into doing all the work while he sits back and watches TV just like his daddy... this is where me teaching him these things come in sadly :(.

Quoting debramommyof4:

I didnt think about chilvary.  We are teaching my son that.  I just didnt think about actually teaching him.  He sees his dad do most of those things and we tell him not to hit girls, unless they hit him first.  Sorry I am not having my son beat up by a girl because we told him not to hit girls.  I always thought that was a wierd rule, but it is just my opinion.  I dont judge others for teaching it.  But chilvary to us is about being polite.  My kids hold the door open for everyone, probably because I do. But my husband is teaching my son through actions about being a good man.  So we have never told him to do those things. 

Quoting No_Difference:

I teach both mine to cook, clean, sew, etc BUT I also teach my son to hold a door specifically for women versus teaching them both to hold a door open for their elders. I've also taught him how to pull a chair out for someone to sit in...basically, the things I wish my hubby would do I make sure I teach him LOL. I'm not going to lie, I get a little jealous seeing all of my neighbors when they get home and their hubby's open the car door for them and carry the majority of the things in from the car... So I've determined to teach my little guy at least basic chivalry.  I have every intention of teaching my daughter how to change tires and oil on the car, check fluids and air pressure, etc, just like I'll teach him. And I'm sure they'll both learn how to repair holes in walls, and fix a toilet/sink, and basic electrical issues too -maintenance for latter on in life when they're adults and hopefully have their own home and car so they're not spending hundreds on something they could've fixed theirsevles...

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
coala
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 9:22 PM

I have 2 girls, but if I had children of the opposite sex they would learn everything that the other is learning.  I want my children to be ab productive member of their households as well as society.  I have to learn to sew, so I am betting that the children will be learning with me.  I can do basic mending by hand, but I need to learn how to do more.  When I learn to can they will be learning right along side of me.  They will be learning all of the stuff that I can teach them and more b/c I will find people to teach us some skills that I want to learn that I don't have ie. field dress a deer.  On the other end of the spectrum they will learn how to change the oil and tires on a car before they learn to drive (this is important to know for basic maintenace).  There are so many things that everyone should learn how to do that aren't gender specific.  I can tell you that I am greatful to my MIL b/c she taught her son how to be a self-sufficient, chivalrous man w/o having one at home to learn from by example.

awilliams77
by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 7:46 AM
Dh showed our girls how to change a tire and check the oil in a car,which has come in handy now that they are 17, 19 and 22! I have had all of our children help around the house, including the kitchen. Our son is 12, and can bake a pie or loaf of bread on his own! We've taught them all to type and handle a computer.
Basic life skills.
The one difference would be the chivalry piece.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)