Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Benefits and drawbacks of where you live for homeschooling

Posted by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 9:03 AM
  • 53 Replies
If you live in the city, country, whatever - what are good and bad things about where you live in regards to homeschooling?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 9:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maggiandmike
by Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 9:05 AM
The main benefit here is for me is no regulation at all. But, for other people, it might be a draw-back since there's no accountability. I live in Ok.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjp2707
by Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 9:07 AM
I like homeschooling where I live I have a lot of resources at my fingertips. Cincinnati has a rich and diverse history, we have ample amounts of recreational activities, along with having a large base of homeschooling families. Of coarse you already know this ( ; I have found no negatives yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Sep. 26, 2012 at 9:11 AM
:)
I am not sure exactly where you live, but I know you want to live in the city. How do you think that will benefit you as a homeschooler?
I could see being close to so many things, being able to walk to places, etc.

Quoting mjp2707:

I like homeschooling where I live I have a lot of resources at my fingertips. Cincinnati has a rich and diverse history, we have ample amounts of recreational activities, along with having a large base of homeschooling families. Of coarse you already know this ( ; I have found no negatives yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Sep. 26, 2012 at 9:16 AM
1 mom liked this
For me, we have a lot of parks nearby, a large hs community like ashley said, one of the largest hs conventions is here. We have a school up the road with nice playgrounds and a fenced area for the dog to run while we play. Hs regulations are not too strict.

Drawbacks - I want to live in the country so we can have chickens, a cow, etc. be able to live off the land more. We have a nice yard but it is clay so it is difficult to grow things. I have to drive to get to anywhere.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BramblePatch
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 9:39 AM
I am in a small Idaho resort town. The best part is that we have no regulations, not even reporting or LOI's. We are surrounded by nature and rich history and tourists from cultures around the world (my 4 and 5 year olds know greeting in 9 languages). We are also closely surrounded by kind, but famous, people. My kids have looked at the moon with a man who walked on it, discussed the movie Cars with a Nascar driver, learned to snowboard with a kid who has won the x-games, learned songs with a well known singer (or three), and know the voice from their favorite movie, Toy Story.

Drawbacks are that the doctors, therapists, and the community at large frown on homeschooling. I used to have to justify my choice everwhere...now I don't bother....butvthe snarky comments are always there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjp2707
by Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 9:40 AM
It will be the same. We only live 15 mins from downtown. So we will just be slightly closer to everything we do. We will prob walk much more. I want to move downtown so we can have a diverse culture and Ditch the gas guzzler as much as possible.

Quoting Boobah:

:)

I am not sure exactly where you live, but I know you want to live in the city. How do you think that will benefit you as a homeschooler?

I could see being close to so many things, being able to walk to places, etc.

Quoting mjp2707:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ballerina.2006
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 9:49 AM
Benefit: no snow days ever! I don't have to worry about the bus and weather or the bus and bullys. We go at our pace. I do have guidelines and what not but I don't find it a hindrance. We can live anywhere in the state and be able to use the same HS program we just switch our paperwork to the nearest office. I never have to go in and see our contact teacher as long as we email once a month :)

Downside: there isn't much we can do in the winter without spending a fortune for indoor activities or freezing! Getting up on time is difficult because of the constant darkness. We don't have a very large network of friends so play dates are usually with the same person and it gets boring. For me, not many people are willing to discuss, in depth, their curriculum choices and/or show them off.

I'm in Alaska
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
swim-mom72
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 10:09 AM

We have lived in both the country and now we live in the city.

So, for us, the city has far more social opportunities for the boys. There are so many groups and activities to choose from in the city (ok, that can be a downside due to how overwhelming it can feel trying to choose). I do not have to drive as far to get to things like Dr appt., grocery store or sports practices. BUT, we spend way, way more time in the car now due to traffic.

The country allowed us to enjoy nature, like, every day. That was a big plus for me. Living in the city our "nature" walks are very different and few and far between. But, we do have a wonderful zoo! Also, living in the country had a much more relaxed feel to it. Part of the constant tension I feel now is probably due in part to the amount of time I have to spend in traffic : (

So, which would I choose if I was given the chance? The country, hads down! I feel like Nikki. I would love to have a real garden, have some chickens or a goat and even let the boys have a couple horses. But, for now, I just have to dream.

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2012 at 10:11 AM

I'm in a very small town, there are not many benifits except that the state is easy to homeschool in.  I really miss the big city.  Here I don't have a co-op or even a play group for my kids.  I did when I was in the big city.

MamaHome
by on Sep. 26, 2012 at 10:53 AM

I'm also in the queen city. Are you a part of any co-ops/charter schools that you recommend? We're new at this game, and are still building our resources/relationships.

Quoting mjp2707:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN