Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Hi. K12 "Homeschooler" here.

Posted by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 10:49 PM
  • 12 Replies

Hi, I guess you can consider us homeschoolers. I don't really know if others consider K12 homeschooling or not. But since we're at home and I definitely do my share of teaching as a learning coach, it's just easier when people ask why my daughter isn't in school to say we home school.

We are just starting k12 and previously she was in a traditional school. We got tired of the substandard school curriculum and the constant bullying. She's in 5th grade btw and so far we both like it, though it certainly keeps me busy throughout the day! I also have a toddler to look after and a two story apartment that always seems to need cleaned. So needless to say I'm one busy momma.

I guess I don't really have any questions. I just kind of wanted to introduce myself. We're in Ohio btw, and Dd attends Ohio virtual academy.

by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 10:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BramblePatch
by on Sep. 27, 2012 at 11:29 PM
Hi and welcome! I have two kiddos, 4 and 5. We use Oak Meadow. We are in Idaho.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
studentmomof2
by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 1:20 AM
Hi I have a 1st and a5th grader also and use k12.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kckmom3
by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 4:13 AM
We're using A BEKA...my son watches his lessons online and all I do is grade his work and send it in to them,so we're doing the same thing as you. How do you like the k12? What do you see as the pros and cons so far?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SalemWitchChild
by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 8:45 AM

We are just starting. Definitely pro is getting away from the bullies in school. On the first day of school she came home and said "Mom they called me Sasquatch all day because I'm the tallest in my class." That just really broke my heart. So DD is really enjoying that, and more time with us.

The schools here are terrible as far as rank by the school assessments. I could see she was bored most of the year last year.

Having a toddler in the house while we are doing school work is a definite distraction, and I've been a bit confused on how to do things, but I've been learning more every day.

Quoting kckmom3:

We're using A BEKA...my son watches his lessons online and all I do is grade his work and send it in to them,so we're doing the same thing as you. How do you like the k12? What do you see as the pros and cons so far?

coala
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2012 at 9:21 AM
1 mom liked this

Welcome!  We are also using ABeka Academy.  My DD watches the instruction.  I help where she needs it, I grade it and then send it in for a report card.  This is our second attempt with this program.  We had custody issues that year that precluded us from finishing the program.  We LOVE it and my oldest is thriving.  I say even though you are doing K12 you are homeschooling.  This means that you make sure those assignments are done, you make sure that they get sent back to where they need to go, and you are there to help when she has questions.  All HS'er parents are learning coaches/teachers.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Sep. 28, 2012 at 9:35 AM
1 mom liked this
Welcome Robin!!

Yeah, some people don't consider k12 HS, but I do! Your kids are home learning, aka home school! Lol.

Ps, it's great to chat again! Haven't chatted w/ u in a looooong time! ;)

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

SalemWitchChild
by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Yes it has been awhile. I certainly have to do more than just sit her in front of the pc and let her work. I am reading her assignments the day before she does them. Making sure I know what she is learning so I can answer questions. Printing out and gathering the materials she needs, etc... Right now she is taking her assessments which I can't help with other than making sure she understands a word or two.

Quoting KickButtMama:

Welcome Robin!!

Yeah, some people don't consider k12 HS, but I do! Your kids are home learning, aka home school! Lol.

Ps, it's great to chat again! Haven't chatted w/ u in a looooong time! ;)

oredeb
by on Sep. 28, 2012 at 10:27 AM

welcome salemwitchchild!!!

congratulations on choosing to homeschool!!!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 28, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Hi!  And welcome!  We use k12 as well.  I have 3 boys: 3, 5, and 7. 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Sep. 28, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Well Hello SalemWitchChild.  :)   Welcome!  :)

I have 7 kids. 4 girls. 3 boys.  Having you kids at home rather than in a school building is such an awesome adventure!  

This is a great group of ladies. So, pull up a chair, make yourself at home and dig into the conversations that are just flying around here. :)  

undefined

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)