Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Getting Frustrated.. I could use some fresh opinions/point of views (kind of long)

Posted by   + Show Post

A little background- I'm homeschooling for the first year (K) with my twin sons. In NY they don't have to start school until 6, so I figured this would be a trial-run to see how they/I do with it. We've only been at it a month and I'm getting frustrated..

Now, in NY, the homeschooling laws are pretty strict. Unschooling is not an option. We have to send the school a copy of our curriculum, keep a detailed record of how many hours we work on everything, what is covered in each session and send in quarterly reports. I will have to notify them by July 1st with my intent to homeschool and will have to do all of these next year (1st grade).

My problem now is keeping their attention and making it fun. One of them says he wants to only homeschool, yet it is hard making it fun because I'm worried about them getting in a groove for next year. They zone out sometimes, or get caught up in playing with random things around us while we work. Here's an example of what we did today.. I'm trying to do fun things to keep their attention but I also try to work in some of the "boring" things they'll need to know.

This was all in random order throughout the morning.

We looked through a book on Spain and read about a different culture. After that, we looked through a "My first thousand words" book where everything was in Spanish. We did this on the couch and one actually covered his ears saying he doesn't want to hear me.

Then we all worked together to read an "I Can Read Level 2 Iron Man Book" - they did the first two pages alone, then gave up so I read it for them, slowly and with pointing at the words as I said them.

We talked about the primary colors with paint and secondary colors. We used the paint to create the secondary colors. They did okay with this and actually had fun.

We read a book on Frogs and colored in a worksheet "Life Cycle Of Frogs" - This they did really well on. I had them follow instructions on what to color and what color to use. They asked questions and actually paid attention.

For math we talked about new shapes (cone, cube, cylinder) and I showed them the shapes.

Second part of math was learning more, less, and estimating with a little bit of fractions. I took out a bowl of beans, my 4 measuring cups and 3 different sized glasses. They had to estimate how much they thought would fit and then try it. Once they did, they told me if they needed more or less. I have circles cut out in fraction sizes so I used that to explain (1 and 1/4 cup, etc) how fractions worked. They actually enjoyed this but got sidetracked with pouring beans and playing "drums" with the measuring cups.

Sorry it's so long, but I just need a fresh point of view to know if they are acting normally and maybe ideas on how to make things more fun. I know we have a long time left before July when I need to notify the school, but I can't help but be nervous.. I don't want to let them down and I don't want to give up and send them to public school... Thanks in advance.

by on Oct. 1, 2012 at 1:17 PM
Replies (21-26):
lucsch
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Our Kindergarten day was never longer than 1-1/2 hours. We covered phonics/reading, a short handwriting lesson, a little bit of math (simple stuff), and we read books from all subjects--poetry/nursery rhymes, science, community helpers, great children's literature. Keep the lessons very short and allow a lot of activities they can choose for "free play." You may want to purchase a curriculum to keep your enthusiasm within reasonable bounds (I tend to want to do too much, so I know!).

sheila5745
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Quoting HippieMomma86:

I use level 2 because they can read level 1 with very little help. One has been reading them as bedtime stories for a couple months now. I guess because they are so smart already, I'm moving along quickly. They count over 100, know the alphabet, and can do addition up to 20's. I'm definitely going to slow down a bit though and just let them lead the way. We go to the library once a week so maybe I'll let them decide on the books instead of me. They've watched Dora so I figured it would be a great time to introduce the beginnings of a new language. They can count to 5 in Spanish and seem excited about different words meaning the same thing.

Quoting sheila5745:

Quoting mem82:

Can I be honest?

You're doing too much! At five, even in Kinder at public they wouldn't be hitting all those subjects. 8) Try to half your day, from what you are doing now.

I was thinking the same thing. Spanish books?

How about colors and ABC and abc order (maybe) go back to a level one book unless they can read the level two book on their own.  Basic adding 1+ 1.. Little things and see how they do, then move from there.

You know best where they are, so go with your heart. I would let them chose their own books. but I would also supervise that. My child use to come home from the school library with books way over her head, noone to help her.  Yes dora is a good one to start for Spanish. If they are ahead, you go for it. But I would let them pick a few things to keep them interested.. From what you said to begin with, maybe things are moving to fast but not hard enough for them, I mean give them a little harder just not as much.

rowansmum
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 12:31 PM

That's what I was thinking too.  Just try to scale it back a bit.  You're on the short road to burnout and that's not where you want to be.  

Both of you will enjoy it much more if you stick to one or two subjects at a time. 

Quoting mem82:

Can I be honest?

You're doing too much! At five, even in Kinder at public they wouldn't be hitting all those subjects. 8) Try to half your day, from what you are doing now.

lifesadream83
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 7:28 PM
1 mom liked this

To me they sound fine.  It maybe a little much but you can adjust that depending on their attention span that day.  Do more where they seem interested and pull back when they are not.  Think of it like eating.  You don't want to stuff them until they are uncomfortable and you don't want to deprive them when they are hungry. :)  Mine is in 3rd grade and does about 5 hours of work a day.  Math, Language Arts, Science, History, a Read Aloud, her independent reader (which will actually be a part of history starting next year) & to finish the day we do either 15 min of Spanish, A page of health and a page from her manners book or an Art lesson.  We only school a full 4 days a week although we read and do history on Friday and if she is struggling with math we focus on it on Friday.  She has a playdate with kids her age on Fridays that I am looking to expand.  

pixydustmommy
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:08 AM

I think that they did very well! They are little boys, they like to wiggle.

Have you considered scheduling in some "wiggle time"? If they had to sit for a bit, finish up the subject, put on some fun music (like 50's bop music) and let them dance for a while!Teach them the twist, the mashed potato, all of those silly dances from the 50's. Nerxt year I'm sure you wil need to have "gym time" and dancing is perfect for that!

HippieMomma86
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:50 AM
1 mom liked this

I love this idea. I'm going to try it today with them. We have been using a more "unschool" approach for the past week and they have been doing exceptionally well, and have learned so much without one complaint. I think they would love to have a little "gym" time. Thanks!

Quoting pixydustmommy:

I think that they did very well! They are little boys, they like to wiggle.

Have you considered scheduling in some "wiggle time"? If they had to sit for a bit, finish up the subject, put on some fun music (like 50's bop music) and let them dance for a while!Teach them the twist, the mashed potato, all of those silly dances from the 50's. Nerxt year I'm sure you wil need to have "gym time" and dancing is perfect for that!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)