Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

The District Won't release my kids (update1) (update2)(update 3)(update 4 homeschool update)

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:26 AM
  • 98 Replies

The district my DS and DD is in won't release my kids to online school at home.what do I do?.  This is really bizarre to me because I am looking out for the learning of my children and they won't relase them?.  Can somone help me with this?

*update*

Well I contacted the leagal board member of the schools the one that actually made the decision and he is going to contact me back.

I had to keep my son out of school today cause he had a dentist appointment.  So natrally i had a light bulb pop in my head.  I told him to sit down with me gave him pencil and paper and show me what in math he has problems with.  he showed me 10-9= I helped him out I have him now with a hour of working one on one I have him adding 

+67

-------

carrying numbers he has never seen that we looked at a hands clock and he knows how to tell hours and 1/2 hour times diffrence.  He knows how to write long sentences he knows how to read a few big words out of one of his books.

all this in 2 hour time frame.  They said he was horrible in math well can't be that bad HA I'm telling this that is supposed to call and tell him everything if he dosn't release my kids i'm going to court with it this ain't no joke!!!.  It's ridiclous that my son is doing 2nd grade stuff and being held in first!!!!.

Update 2:

So I belive since they won't release my kids I am going to the news about this make it public.  maybe then they will get up off there butts and go to the fax to sign a paper.  What do you ladies think about this?

So I contacted the HSLDA There is nothing really they can do it is "the districts decision" So I'm stuck with them in B&M for the remainder of the year :( she said it was the districts decision.  I do not like this county at all and there is nothing I can do about this whole situation.

SO therefor I am going to go to the school request different teachers and sit there with them till it is time to go home!!!!.  There is no reason that my kids and this school should be going thru this day in and day out I will be so glad to get them home with me next year Just counting down the days till that time comes!!!.  Any suggestions on how I can make the time they are in school a living hell for the teachers till all they have to do is sign a paper?.  This is ridiculous.

Update 4

To be completed only by parent(s) conducting a home school under the supervision of the superintendent 

of a local education agency (LEA).

A “home school” is a school conducted by parent(s) or legal guardian(s) for their own children.  This form 

may be utilized as notice of your intent to conduct a home school as permitted by T.C.A. § 49-6-3050.  

Please complete both pages of the form and return both pages to your local public school 

superintendent’s office prior to each school year.  

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oredeb
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:33 AM

what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what state are you in ? how old are your kids????

oredeb
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:37 AM

are you in tenn?

do you have highschool dipolma? or a ged?

have your kids ever been in  public school before

heres your homeschool law http://www.homeschoollegaladvantage.com/files/statelaws/2012/TNPacket2012.pdf if your in tenn.

2_kiddos
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:50 AM

yeap i have a GED and so does hubs they are in school now but the way the school is treating my kids i don't like it how there doing me. they have fought me tooth and nail for the past 3 days and treating my kids worse than ever I really have to do somthing

2_kiddos
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:52 AM

its also a virtual school not like a regular school but they are still learning the public school curriculum but at home

WantedNameTaken
by Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:54 AM

I'm not sure of your school's state report card grade, but if it's "continuous improvement", you should be able to enroll your children in any school that's rated higher, and in many cases, similar to your school's rating.  Is your state's online school of similar or higher rating that your B&M?

Sorry you're having to deal with this.

2_kiddos
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:00 AM

yeah they been giving me the run around since i started trying to withdraw them. I will be going thru k-12 as i just got off the phone with them they already tried to get my kids released the district said as of yesterday they are not releasing any more kids!!!!!. but the link she gave me my daughter has been in school for 6-8 weeks so she should have the go ahead and my son had to be held back a year I just don't want this!!!!. this is crazy they have thought over the parents thought in whats best for them i meet all the requirements 

usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:07 AM
4 moms liked this

I would contact HSLDA or Homeschool Legal Advantage to get some help with that.

2_kiddos
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:10 AM

well we will see thanks all for your support.  I found out cause i showed up at the school without anyone knowing and I went to my daughters class and you know what I seen?.  Yeah there sitting there watching golden girls!!!! I am furious with this school OH and to top it off her teacher was talking on the PHONE!!!!! I am so sick of it

oredeb
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:11 AM

have you done this?

Submit attendance records at the end of each

year.

Submit Notice of Intent to local superintendent

prior to each school year. Notice must include

the number of students, names, ages and grade

levels of the children. Notice must also include

the location, proposed curriculum, proposed

hours of instruction and parent-teacher

qualifications. Forms available at website listed

below.

Parent must submit proof that the student has

been vaccinated or submit religious or medical

exemption.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Oct. 3, 2012 at 11:23 AM
3 moms liked this
She doesn't need to do any of that if she is enrolling them in a public K12 school.

I would get with K12, the kids don't need to be "released". You just get the materials and get to work....at least here in CA. It is the same as chaning annd public school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)