Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

When YOU are sick... update

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 1:57 PM
  • 15 Replies

Update:

Dd ended up doing a little school with her dad when he got home. She is barely starting to read but she attempted reading her 2 brand new books daddy bought her. I'm so proud! She doesn't know a lot of the rules but she tried really hard! BUT today will be a day full of educational dvds like Planet Earth (one of our favorite series!) and a couple eyewitness movies. I woke up and can barely speak in a whisper so teaching won't work lol.

I appreciate all the advice! Thank you so much!!

Do you teach when you're sick? I don't mean sniffles. I mean you can barely pull yourself out of bed sick, dripping with sweat from fever etc.

I'm feeling guilty for not wanting to school today but I'm still battling a fever, have a cough so bad my chest aches and my voice comes and goes. Dd is a lesson behind in reading (her weakest subject) so that's my only concern beyond getting back on our schedule.

Would you school anyways?

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 1:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 2:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Well to be honest I haven't had so much as the sniffles since Dec. 1999.  But if I felt bad I wouldn't do school. I would just have them read (if they are able) or play any educational type games.  I have never worried about "schedules". Never have, never will.  When my late husband became ill (cancer) we stopped all school and just took care of him til he passed away and then didn't do any school for months after he passed.  The children did quite fine and still graduated on time.

lifesadream83
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 2:42 PM

I would wait.  One lesson won't kill you.  You can make it up on the weekend and give her a "weekend" while you are sick during the week.  Just tell her that ok we can't do school cause mom is sick so you can play but on ... day when I am better we will do the lessons we missed. She will be fine.  I hope you feel better!! We are schooling today from the couch because I have been dizzy since breakfast ( I am 7 months pregnant),  On days I am really out of it we just do when I feel good on the weekend.  This usually only happens on fridays for us as it is our going out day and it tends to make me really sick.

OneToughMami
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 2:44 PM
I usually lay in bed and have her come to me. She pets my hair while I talk and plays nurse. It's quite lovely and I give her health points...she then usually does light cleaning and scooping dog doodoo for me. She's 9 but she is quite the good helper.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NiceMom06
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 2:52 PM
My DH takes a day off work and does the HS, also takes care of the other two kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ballerina.2006
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 2:55 PM
Oh I wish this was a possibility!

Quoting NiceMom06:

My DH takes a day off work and does the HS, also takes care of the other two kids.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NathansmomEmmie
by Member on Oct. 3, 2012 at 2:59 PM

I've never been all out sick in many years, but if I was, I would probably have my son do his seatwork and then just play catch up with everything else the next day

NiceMom06
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:00 PM
Can your mom help ? Or anyone? Or just skip the day and make it up on Saturday. I really hope you feel better.

Quoting ballerina.2006:

Oh I wish this was a possibility!

Quoting NiceMom06:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Oct. 3, 2012 at 4:22 PM
I usually supplement on daytime sick, so the kids get do watch educational movies, or do educational games on the computer or tablet. The beauty of HS is that it isn't confined to Monday-Friday 8am-3pm, so if I need to take a few days off we can make them up somewhere else with little trouble.
oredeb
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 6:04 PM

i have them read, work on craft projects or i put one of the kids in charge and let them do the teaching! they love that!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 3, 2012 at 6:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Aww!!  ((( HUGS )))       I hope you feel better soon!  :)            

Actually, I have done schoolwork when I was sick. I've even done it when I was tossing up my cookies too. And, I have also taken a day or two off for being sick(which is rare).  One time I even remember my kids all ganging up on me and pushing/dragging me up the stairs to my bedroom and forcing me to lay down and stay in bed. When I attempted to get back up, they had another kid standing guard to make sure I wouldn't leave my bed! Darn/Cute little rascals! 

If I were you, I would just take some time to recoup. You can have your kids read and play test each other on some basics if you feel too guilty for taking any time off.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN