Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you think a principal should text a student under any circumstances?

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:02 AM
  • 4 Replies

High School Principal Deserves to Lose His Job for Texting Student 3,000 Times

Posted by Kiri Blakeley on October 3, 2012 

There are so many things wrong on so many levels with this story that I'm not sure where to begin. Let's just get straight to it. A Brooklyn high school assistant principal has been stripped of his duties after it was discovered that he sent almost 3,000 text messages to one of his students in three months. He's married. She's 18. They apparently do nothing -- I mean NOTHING -- but text. And, if you can believe it, the guy is claiming he did nothing wrong! He was just helping her out with her problems! Excuse me while I call bullshit.

It all started when another student observed some unprincipal-like behavior between Christian Del Re, 32, and his female student. Some of the suspicious behavior reportedly included him playing with the girl's hair and her leaving his car. That's when officials discovered 3,000 text messages (along with some 3 a.m. phone calls!) between the two over 90 days.

But ... get this. Both student and principal say he did nothing wrong. Both say the principal "never touched" the girl. He says that he was merely helping the girl with some issues. He reportedly told investigators that the girl "would talk to him about problems at school, problems with other students and problems with her boyfriend."

How is this an excuse?! Is he a counselor? Is he a therapist? Is he the world's savior? Did he do this for the male students too? Did he tell his wife about the texts and calls since they were so innocent?

Parents send their kids to school to learn and to be taken care of by mature, responsible adults. Any adult who can find 3,000 messages to tap out to a teen girl a) isn't performing his job, and b) isn't mature and responsible. What about this girl made her so worthy of so much individual attention? Hmmm. I'm going to go out on a limb and say this girl wasn't a toothless hunchback.

Many of you will probably ask why the teen's parents weren't checking her cellphone. It's a good question, but a better question is, Why is a 31-year-old principal texting his student?? Considering the texts all happened over a short period of time, and considering she may have deleted them as they came in, let's not play "blame the mother."

Anyway, officials say they are seeking this guy's termination, but they also say he's been "reassigned." Does that mean to another school? Hope not.

Do you think a principal should text a student under any circumstances?

by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
2_kiddos
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:25 AM

Nope thats all im going to say about this

blueyedbaker
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 8:50 AM

That's really bad! I think if that happened in my family my husband would have gone crazy! Looks like they got caught before something bad happened to the student...well hopefully.

SalemWitchChild
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Couldn't the cell phone company print out a record of the text messages? I don't believe for a second that they were innocent. No one texts at 3am and are innocent. lol

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Wow.  Definitely NOT okay

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN