Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

she is taking too long

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:34 PM
  • 39 Replies

She's taking up to 2 hrs to do an assignment. Some things she struggles with. Other things like spelling she is just taking too much time and I don't know why. That should be 20 mins tops. All she had to do is write 10 sentences and she keeps asking me what to write. Example: She had to use triumph in a sentence. I have her a couple of examples but told her not to use my own examples and to come up with her own. She sat for 45 minutes crying because she couldn't come up with her own sentences and I wouldn't just tell her what to write?!

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 3:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Oct. 3, 2012 at 4:25 PM
1 mom liked this
My eldest is a visual learner, so he struggles with broad instructions like "just make something up". So instead I have him do it orally, if he can use a word in a sentence then I don't need it written out. Or he can make a cartoon that uses certain words. Things that are more directed/visually stimulating than sentences.
SalemWitchChild
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 4:31 PM

I've tried to do it orally. still no go. Ive tried to break it down. I told her that Triumph means winning something you've worked hard to get. I've told her come up with something you'd work at to win. gave her a few examples like an art contest (she is entering one). Or a triathalon. Then I told her to come up with a name. any name would do. Or use her own.

Then put a sentence together like, Sierra worked hard to win the art contest, and in the end she triumphed. It didn't have to be the exact word. Just a form of it. She still coudn't do it.

I don't know how much easier I can make it?

Quoting KickButtMama:

My eldest is a visual learner, so he struggles with broad instructions like "just make something up". So instead I have him do it orally, if he can use a word in a sentence then I don't need it written out. Or he can make a cartoon that uses certain words. Things that are more directed/visually stimulating than sentences.

2_kiddos
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 5:23 PM
I would have mine use google and look up the meaning it might help her to write out a few sentences with the word I do that somtimes. In fact I do it alot :) let her take as much time as she needs to get ahold of the word and the meaning. THats what I would do :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BraydensMama163
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 5:25 PM
Mine is the same way! I hope you figure something.out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SalemWitchChild
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 5:42 PM

I do google it for her. Sometimes I know the meaning of the word but find it hard to articulate what it means. So I usually just google it.

Quoting 2_kiddos:

I would have mine use google and look up the meaning it might help her to write out a few sentences with the word I do that somtimes. In fact I do it alot :) let her take as much time as she needs to get ahold of the word and the meaning. THats what I would do :)

oredeb
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 6:01 PM

i forget how old is she??

kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 3, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Hi. :)  

I used to be the same way. Its not making a connection in her mind yet. On the one hand she does understand what you are saying but on the other, she doesn't. has she learned what nouns and verbs are yet?  Sometimes you just need to start out with small sentences using just nouns and verbs and have them circled and underlined to show them in a physical sense. It's her perception that hasn't caught up to her learning yet, for her to understand what you're asking.  I had to do the same thing with a couple of my kids for the same reasons.   After about a month, sometimes a little longer or shorter depending on the child, we were able to move on to other work.  

undefined

lifesadream83
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 6:07 PM
1 mom liked this

It's spelling right?  Have you thought about eliminating making her write sentences and just learning how to spell the words?  Or maybe dictation exercises.  I don't know how old your child is but last year my daughter had issues coming up with her own sentences. This year is sort of better but the curriculum I am using does not make her construct sentences for spelling.  

SalemWitchChild
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 6:20 PM

She is 10.

Quoting oredeb:

i forget how old is she??

SalemWitchChild
by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Yes she knows her grammar better than I do. She does the underline verb, noun, etc... exercises too and usually needs no help.

Quoting kirbymom:

Hi. :)  

I used to be the same way. Its not making a connection in her mind yet. On the one hand she does understand what you are saying but on the other, she doesn't. has she learned what nouns and verbs are yet?  Sometimes you just need to start out with small sentences using just nouns and verbs and have them circled and underlined to show them in a physical sense. It's her perception that hasn't caught up to her learning yet, for her to understand what you're asking.  I had to do the same thing with a couple of my kids for the same reasons.   After about a month, sometimes a little longer or shorter depending on the child, we were able to move on to other work.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN