Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Having trouble meeting other home school kids

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:41 PM
  • 11 Replies

We have been at this since August and we love it. The only thing missing is socialization. My 8 yr old rides dirtbikes and has a few neighborhood friends but we don't really get a lot of play dates out of these relationships. My 11 yr old has zero friends and no activities right now since he quit football (he hated it).

We went to a 4H meeting and they were the ONLY boys. I have decided to hold off a bit to see if I can find other things to do.The park has a few classes but they are all after school-time and really nothing that interest the boys. I want things we can do during school hours.

Where do you guys find activities & friends. Our zip is 93535 if you know how to search better than I do.

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommytobooger
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:25 AM

i was having the same problme with my son, well kind of, he does lots of activities, but i wanted him around the same group of kids and kids that school like him. well i had no luck so i have started my own homeschool group. i just started it about a month ago, and so far i have 11 families involved. no, everyone can not always attend an event but someone always does, and i have met some great women as well. just pick a park around you or central to the people you are targeting and start having play groups, have a museum day, a volunteer day, a arts and crafts day, offer classes. i do all of these, and they are things i can offer, maybe you can offer something your kids are interested in and then other parents can do the same. thats how i hope my group will end up. right now i am providing all the activities but thats fine with me. i really am so happy i started it. good luck.

if this doesnt work call librarys, autubon centers, museums etc and ask about homeschooling groups and or activities, lots of people do things for us now.

donnadea
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:29 AM

I don't know. I just happen to be lucky enough to be in a congregation that has a few other families that are homeschooling also.

Tesserae
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 9:24 AM

how did you get the word out that you were planning days like this? Just go hang out at the park or did you post a flyer at the park?

Quoting mommytobooger:

i was having the same problme with my son, well kind of, he does lots of activities, but i wanted him around the same group of kids and kids that school like him. well i had no luck so i have started my own homeschool group. i just started it about a month ago, and so far i have 11 families involved. no, everyone can not always attend an event but someone always does, and i have met some great women as well. just pick a park around you or central to the people you are targeting and start having play groups, have a museum day, a volunteer day, a arts and crafts day, offer classes. i do all of these, and they are things i can offer, maybe you can offer something your kids are interested in and then other parents can do the same. thats how i hope my group will end up. right now i am providing all the activities but thats fine with me. i really am so happy i started it. good luck.

if this doesnt work call librarys, autubon centers, museums etc and ask about homeschooling groups and or activities, lots of people do things for us now.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:12 AM
2 moms liked this
Here's what I suggest:

1) search yahoo groups for a HS group in your state but also search for your district/town - for instance I belong to a huge yahoo group for my state, where people post tons of activities for HSers, but my state is also broken into 4 regions (even though our state is super tiny) and each region has its own HS yahoo group.

2) search/post on meet-up.com

3) check out the local library, if they don't have any activities during the day for HSers, if not they may let you post an add on the community board

4) go to the local museum on HS'er day (most museums have 1 day where HSers get a discount).

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

mommytobooger
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Quoting Tesserae:

how did you get the word out that you were planning days like this? Just go hang out at the park or did you post a flyer at the park?

Quoting mommytobooger:

hi,

well yes, i did make flyers for local libraries, and ymca, coffe shops etc. but honestly i did not have to do that. i joined some homeschool groups, plus the ones i was already a  member to and started posting my group, or posting when an activity is, and thats how most of my members heard about my group. go to yahoo groups and type in homeschool and your state, then join groups that post activities, advice, even links, not all of them you will be able to post on but you'll figure it out, just read other posts and words yours the same. i made a free website on webs.com and a new email just for the group. it works out very well. also if you have a face book page i assume that would be  great way too. i do not have face book so not sure, but my aunt puts in on her face book page. let me know if i can help any more. good luck!

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:46 PM

we had the same problem.  Though she knew people from Church and girl scouts, no one wanted to do things with her on the weekends.  UNTIL this year, and there is a possibility of us moving next year.  I'd just keep looking, libraries, YMCA, youth camps, gymnastics, or martial arts.

usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 4, 2012 at 3:09 PM

This is what I was going to say!

Quoting KickButtMama:

Here's what I suggest:

1) search yahoo groups for a HS group in your state but also search for your district/town - for instance I belong to a huge yahoo group for my state, where people post tons of activities for HSers, but my state is also broken into 4 regions (even though our state is super tiny) and each region has its own HS yahoo group.

3) check out the local library, if they don't have any activities during the day for HSers, if not they may let you post an add on the community board

4) go to the local museum on HS'er day (most museums have 1 day where HSers get a discount).

kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 4, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Me Too!! lol :) 

Quoting usmom3:

This is what I was going to say!

Quoting KickButtMama:

Here's what I suggest:

undefined

mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 8:56 AM

I used yahoo groups, also. It's funny. Once you find a few homeschoolers, more comes out of the wood work. LOL You'll find them everywhere.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN