Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mastery based curricululm?

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:58 PM
  • 14 Replies

I homeschooled my son last year for most of the school year due to bullying the year before at a new school.  We moved and he begged to go back to school as it was the area we had lived in before, he knew the kids and the school wasn't too bad when he had gone before, so he started the middle of March, two weeks later he was being bullied, but he finished out the year.

This year he would have been in middle school and due to a lot of issues with the school, bullying aside, I said no way was he going.  Right now we are doing Connections Academy and it's been a fight since the second week in to get this kid to do his work.  I think part of it is they introduced a concept one day, and a new one the next, so he doesn't have time to master the old concept before a new one is being added and it's confusing to him.  Then when you throw in the ADHD/autism and puberty we have a hell of a time getting anything productive done.  

So I am really considering going back to homeschooling with out a PS curriculum and was wondering if there are any mastery based curriculum out there for a 5th-6th grade level that is fairly inexpensive, worksheets, videos, online etc.  I would like something that will tell me how to teach it, or at least be easy enough to look up on line so I can figure it out.  Oh and if anyone has any lesson ideas to do with robots, that would be a big bonus too! Thanks.  

by on Oct. 3, 2012 at 10:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Oct. 4, 2012 at 5:33 AM
I am brain dead at 5am, so here is a bump. ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2_kiddos
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:48 AM

I have heard many places K12 is better than Connections academy. here's a bump

jellybeans5
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:11 AM

for math, my kids like math mammoth. I use the blue series & the worksheets because I needed the flexability and this works well for me and my kids enjoy it, but they also have a complete curriculum for grades 1 - 6. The price is very good too.  

here's a link :-) http://www.mathmammoth.com/complete-curriculum.php

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:47 AM

Math U See and All About Spelling. The teachers copy for Math U See (the book and video) and the blocks are the most expensive, but you can easily find used copies. The student workbook I think is only $20...  We've been loving them this year. They're also multi sensory approaches.
I'm not sure about mastery science, but if he likes hands on activities I know theres Real Science 4 Kids and Real Science Odyssey. I'm pretty sure it'd be easy enough to work at your own pace until the concept is mastered for both of those... I'm not sure on cost for these two anymore right off hand...

kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:36 PM

I write my own curriculum. Or I use books that have been very cheaply bought or donated to us. I also will copy some straight from a website.  :)  

1Redapple
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:57 PM

My DD is 11, in 6th.  I unenrolled her from K12 for the same issue noraa21 is describing w/mastery.  We were in our fourth year of K12.  Now I have her doing Extramath.org. Back to basics for math, she is thrilled.

Quoting 2_kiddos:

noraa21
by Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Quoting 2_kiddos:

Thanks, we actually tried K12 last year for a while, and it was worse than connections academy, at least we do have a teacher that communicates with us, K12 we were there for two months and still had not been assigned a homeroom teacher and could not get any questions answered when we had them.   

oredeb
by debbie on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:22 PM

i think any homeschool  hands on curr would be better than the connections or k12, or being signed up with a program

when you buy your own books you can take as long as you all want on a subject, no time limit so he can master what hes learning, so buying your books from any of the homeschool publishers would be a benefit

calimom1123
by Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 2:55 AM
If you dont mind religious, Ace school of tomorrow paces are really good for mastery especially at that age. They arn't too expensive either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
noraa21
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:55 AM

Quoting calimom1123:

If you dont mind religious, Ace school of tomorrow paces are really good for mastery especially at that age. They arn't too expensive either.

Nope religious are just fine, I was trying to think what this one was called, I remember looking  at it last year but going with something different, thanks, I will check that out again.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)