Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

It's 10am and I'm already emotionally exhausted......

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:21 AM
  • 21 Replies
2 moms liked this

I just need to vent.  The last couple of days we've been gone a good part of the day.  Tuesday I had bible study in the am, yesterday we ran errands, got our haircut, went grocery shopping...  Now DS seems to think we are leaving the house everyday.  He got really angry this morning bc he wanted to go to church.  It's like he got into this routine and he can't get back into our regular routine of schoolwork.  It was only 2 days.  With him being autistic it is so hard to help him understand.  Words aren't enough.  Once he gets an idea stuck in his head it's impossible to change his mind.  I had such high hopes for today.  I got up at 6am and started housework with the intention of being ahead. ughh...  I know it will get better, I just need a little encouragement....thanks!

by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Precious333
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this

hugs! My kids can have trouble adjusting too, especially when we have been so busy, they will ask "ok, mom, where are we going today?" Maybe a little walk outside, that way you are still close to home, but are still out?

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Taking a walk is a great idea...Thanks!!  It is a bit cold today, but maybe after lunch it will warm up a bit.  The weather could have been another thing that set him off.  It's 20 degrees colder today than it was yesterday.  Yesterday was almost 80 and tomm. there's a chance of snow.  He's so sensitive to all change. 

Quoting Precious333:

hugs! My kids can have trouble adjusting too, especially when we have been so busy, they will ask "ok, mom, where are we going today?" Maybe a little walk outside, that way you are still close to home, but are still out?

swim-mom72
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Those really busy weeks can get that kinda reaction from any kid, not just one with autism. Just breath and try to have little or no reaction to his reaction.

And I like Precious333's idea of taking a little walk. A breath of fresh air may do all of you some good. Heck, even get a little science done while walking by talking about the seasons, identifying birds or plants, or even talking about some geology facts when you spot some cool rocks.

Maybe it isn't so much the places that you were going that he loved, but the fact that it was different than his normal routine. So, switch things up a bit and make the rest of the week a bit lighter, with more outside time and a more hands-on approach.

Precious333
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:50 AM

I can totally relate! I have trouble with things like that, but I also have a son who is very sensitive to changes, it can be hard! :(

Quoting irvinehiker:

Taking a walk is a great idea...Thanks!!  It is a bit cold today, but maybe after lunch it will warm up a bit.  The weather could have been another thing that set him off.  It's 20 degrees colder today than it was yesterday.  Yesterday was almost 80 and tomm. there's a chance of snow.  He's so sensitive to all change. 

Quoting Precious333:

juliakf333. Get yours at bighugelabs.com
downsouthjunkin
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 11:53 AM

(((((((HUGS)))))) to you irvine. Hope your day gets better. I can relate......DD had problems last night at her church activity. She has Aspergers and kids that are not on the spectrum  (98% of the time) want nothing to do with her. It's very hard on her. Yeah, most of the time, words don't help.  Good luck to you.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 12:31 PM
1 mom liked this

*hugs*

motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 1:32 PM

I am just asking how old is your son? I have a 13 year old and I have them days. I let him take out the garbage ride his bike take a 10 to 15 minute break let him relax and I have a time out as will. Then I have writing class and let him writing for 10 to15 minutes. So I have 30 minute of relax time to my self so I can breath.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 4, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Aww ~ ((( Hugs )))  

Today is a rough day for me too. :) uhmmmm 

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Oct. 4, 2012 at 2:42 PM

I'm having one of those days... he last 2 days, DD has been a space cadet..OMG..Taking an hour to do a handwriting page that usually takes her 20 minutes! It's usually one of her fast and easy subjects. UGGG!

I had another one of my, "I reallyhate yelling at you, but I really can't handle your attitude either" talks. She starts crying, swears she is trying, but her pencil is under her desk @@ Yeah.. that's trying hard!

I planned some studies of great artists and composers and was really excited to have the kids do painting and projects... We haven't been able to do them because it is taking so long to get their mandatory stuff done.

usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 4, 2012 at 3:01 PM
1 mom liked this

We have days like that it gets better as they get older, especially for kids on the Autism spectrum.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)