Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Love it or leave it: Calculator?

Posted by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:23 AM
  • 16 Replies

giving heartOR devil

Do you love calculators for your kids, or would you rather them not use them at the stage they are at?

by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:39 AM

We don't use them, yet.

HippieMomma86
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:21 AM

I don't let them use it. they are just starting out with adding and subtracting and I'm afraid once they get their hands on that, they'll be lazy and never really figure out how to mentally do the math. I can't see them really using/needing one until maybe high school.

oredeb
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:07 PM

i teach them to use it but we dont use it for math class, but we do use it in the store

lucsch
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:25 PM

I showed my dd how to use one, but she does not use one for her math.

somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:28 PM
Dd is 11 and I still won't let her use one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SalemWitchChild
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Nope none allowed till she tries it 3 times without the calculator.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I will not let mine use the calculator for their math. They must learn to work the problems on paper and in their heads. I won't even let my 15 yr old use his for geometry.  He must learn to convert fractions and decimals to get the exact answers. I will use the calculator to check the correct answer and then show him how to get the answer by following the formulas that are given until we get the correct answers. :)  Nope, I just think its bretter to use your mind instead of some gadget. :)

undefined

sheila5745
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:57 PM

I have just started to let my child use one. She has already done the Math work, she did it in pen. Now all the answers are wrong because she didn't read  what she was suppose to do. Pretty simple Math, but not her good subject. So she is correcting the problems. When the school was going to put my child into the Middle school, (even tho the school said they had nothing for her) we still went to check the school out. They were using calculators already, my grand daughter in the 7th grade has been using them since the 5th grade. (At school), So yes I am teaching her how to use them, but she doesn't use them all the time, we still use manipulators.

JDsmomma07
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:08 PM
1 mom liked this

No, not yet.  I'm a firm believer in kids knowing how to do math problems on paper or mentally. 

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Leave it for now.  When they're in high school maybe for some things. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)