Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do people take you seriously?

Posted by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:11 PM
  • 13 Replies
1 mom liked this

Does your family or friends take you seriously when you tell them you homeschool?

My MIL just seems to think we do nothing all day. She wanted to take my son shopping the other day & we already had plans for school. She does "well, its not REAL school so I don't know what the big deal is" *sigh* She says stuff like that all the time.  I really don't say anything, it's not worth it but it is kind of annoying.

by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JoeMax
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:13 PM
My family is pretty supportive. My MIL tends to be a little hard to read, she and FIL are both public school teachers. But still she has never said anything negative about it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Well... I have had a family member recently ask me a question. She said to me, "You do actually teach them something, right?" I said yes but was thinking, "no i just sit at home all day and do nothing at all." Of course I teach them! I was upset so I quckly went through a list of things he has learned since I took over his education and then went through a list of things that the school failed to teach him. I shouldn't defend myself and get so touchy over it but that just got to me.

Knightquester
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Yes, and I would be more then a little offended if they didn't.

I would invite her to sit in on your schooling one day, perhaps offer for her to help teach something.  Unless you think she'd just be just as rude, some people really are that way and there's no changing them.  In that case I'd state to her that during such and such time to such and such time every day you're not able to take the grandchildren because they are schooling, and don't answer your phone or respond to her during those time frames.

Sooner or later as those children age and start to verbally and physically demonstrate the lessons you've taught them in school then she may open her eyes and start to show more respect, hopefully.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:34 PM

I get these types of remarks but my husband doesn't.  The remarks stop after we go through the list of what the kids do in a day. Which happens to be triple that the ps's do in a week. lol  :)  

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Oct. 5, 2012 at 7:37 PM
I think people take us seriously, they are always amazed at what the boys are learning...but it doesn't stop some of them from saying the 'real school' thing. Ugh!
Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 8:07 PM

My grandmother in law does the same thing. I let the kids go but my dd had to finish her homework. Didn't see a problem with it as the other grandkids come in from public school and must finish theirs before they can do anything else. Well dd didn't have her homework finished when I picked them up. Gmil says, "We decided to take a 'field trip' to the park."

SalemWitchChild
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 8:16 PM

If I didn't do K12 they'd probably say something. I did online college so my mom is pretty comfortable with that and she seeks K12 as similar.

lifesadream83
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:26 PM

I feel like I have the neediest friend in the world.  She has 4 kids and 3 step children (for summer and holidays)  Somehow she calls, texts, or facebooks me non stop all day long.  Yes, I make time in the am before school to get my chat on or while my dd is doing some of her on her own work. But I need to be right there ready to give my dd my undivided attention at any given moment because she is easily distracted.  Well my friends kids leave to go to school in the am, I tell her if she wants to chat it has to be either via "chat" or between 8-9am.  I have been homeschooling for 2 years and nothing has changed.  I kid you not my phone starts going off at like 930am without fail everyday.  I am convinced she does it just to piss me off.  And to top it off.  I not only homeschool but I am in college full time.  So typically I read my stuff when there is down time from my dd's school work.  

Don't get me wrong I love my family and my friends.  Last year I gave into them everytime they called.  I feel like that is part of the reason last year went so poorly for us.  So now I have  a policy that NOTHING interrupts our homeschool day (except the mail man cause he is ususally bringing curriculum or things I don't have time to leave the house to buy).  

Other people have pretty much figured out I am unreachable until at least 3/4pm now.   

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:30 PM
They take us seriously, but even I say "real school". Lol! Or regular school I guess I say more often.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BraydensMama163
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:32 PM
2 moms liked this
Yup. We just started homeschooling 3 weeks ago. And so far people have been asking me about him when we are in public. Goes like so:

"Why ain't he in school? Sick?"

"No, he's trying to get some school work done now."

"How?"

"We homeschool."

"Who teaches him?"

"Santa. But only in his off season."
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN