Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

a little help?

Posted by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 5:23 PM
  • 8 Replies
I am a stay at home mom of a 2 year old and a 1 month old. My husband and i have discussed home schooling ever since we got pregnant with my son. It is getting about time i would like to start preschool or homeschooling him. I am not sure how to go about getting ready to school him myself? I know i have the time, i am just worried about how much it will cost, and i don't really know whereto get information. Does anyone know anything about homeschooling or where i can get some information about it?
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 5:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
2_kiddos
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 6:52 PM

hello First of all I would like to welcome you to HS :).  I wouls start just showing him things helping him out from time to time also I would invest maybe in some playdough so you can mix colors he would love that :). Also I would show him maybe how to hols a pencil right.  you can also go under google and find some things to do with him GL :)

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Wow, there is a ton of info available. You have a lot of time to research too. Here are some skills you might think about... but they are just suggestions... Pre-reading: Of course, alphabet skills. At about 2 1/2 I started my eldest working on a letter of the week with letter sounds. We went through the letters with very VERY simple worksheets and activities. We kept the letters to one sound a piece at first, although I know that some letters have two sounds.

More prereading skills has to do with patterns.   Patterns allow a child to get used to the whole left to right skills.  Even if the pattern itself isn't challenging, working with them frequently helps.

Lots and lots of books and read alouds!   Pictures books are awesome, I still use them in some areas with my older kids (almost 11 and 8)... they learn so much from them.

Memorizing simple rhymes (bible verses?) sharpens their mind for retaining words.

Lots of following directions work and games...  for example, put the sticker of the stars OVER the doghouse... now, put the doggie INSIDE the doghouse... (can teach opposites this way too!)

Write a couple of the letters on different squares of paper, tape to floor in different places and have child hop on the letter you call out!  ((can generate more interest by putting on shapes like stars and worlds and have child pretend to be an astronaut... or something similar))

Singing!!!  So much fun and good memory work, too!   Add some musical instruments and let him go at it!  After a while, try to get him to follow your simple beats!

Fine motor skills:  like glueing, cutting, tracing, drawing, coloring, beading, playing playdoh, etc... 

Gross motor skills:   Catching a ball, hopping on one foot, throwing with control, balance beams (or tape)... kicking a soccer ball, playing T-Ball... riding his bike or skooter.

Math...   More, less, or the same...   hands-on simple measuring...  learning to recognize numbers... shapes... direction...  counting (1-5,  1-10...)   after counting is mastered, you can try counting backwards or simple skip counting... but that's kinda advanced.   Shape puzzles like simple tanagrams...

Pretend play... pretend play can incorporate ANY skill you want... just creatively add it in.   For example, pretend you are a doctor and read the pattern chart.   Pretend you are a sales clerk and measure a cup of rice or beans to sell...

:)

Have fun, it has been such an enjoyable ride so far!!   I have 4 kids (10, 8, 4, and newborn!)

romacox
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:41 AM

When you home school, the whole world is your classroom.  For a 2 year old there is no need for curriculum.  Play and interaction with you and others is how they learn the things necessary to prepare them for formal education. Here is an article that provides you ways to teach through play.

How To Home School The Pre K Student.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:04 AM
1 mom liked this

First let me welcome you to homeschooling!

My advice is 2 fold:

1) Familiarize yourself with the laws in your state. I suggest googling "Home Education Laws in ____" There is no state that has laws for children as young as yours, most laws start between 5-7 years old. But its never too early to get a handle on what to expect.

2) Start educational play. I started homeschooling when my kids were around 2.5 y/o. I have some articles and such I've written that might be helpful. Basically i thought of where I wanted my kids to be by the time they began more traditional sit-down learning in about 2nd grade. Then I geared play toward it.

Kids behavior changes drastically from moment to moment until they are closer to 7, so it can be difficult to prepare a curriculum. So it's better to do focused play, and have some stuff as backup.

Articles:

How Young Is Too Young?

Home Education  of Your Young Child

You might also like websites like -

http://www.letteroftheweek.com/

http://www.dltk-kids.com/

http://prekinders.com/links/

http://www.tlsbooks.com/edulinks.htm

Hope these help!

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Hello! Welcome! With all the other advice here, I'd like to add a few tidbits.

-Go to the library and get out all the books on homeschooling. Flip through them, read them, show your hubby , and just really get a feel for all the different ways of doing it out there. Read about how other families do it and think about how you want your homeschool to go. It's a completely different thing than public schooling. It doesn't take as much time and it can feel very different. The sooner you understand that and your hubby, too, the easier Homeschooling will be. There are tons of homeschool blogs, too. Read through a few and see unschoolers, classical, Charlotte Mason, eclectic, and special needs. Looking at other people and how they do it, will help you see how it works.

2. I homeschool my two oldest for less than 200 bucks. Don't worry about money until you land on which type of homeschooling you would like to try.

3. Find the conventions that run in your state and go to them! You will get to look at all the books and touch everything and really get a feel for the different methods.

4. Try to find a few homeschooling groups in your area and see if they have a preschool group.

hopechrism
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:50 PM

oh my goodness this is all so helpful!! thank you all so very much, i am super excited to get started! he is 2 1/2 and soaks everything up like a little sponge!

romacox
by Silver Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Welcome hopechrism.  No need for curriculum for a 2 year old.  Here is an article to help you.

How To Home School The PreK student  It is really very easy, and lots of fun too.

hopechrism
by on Nov. 4, 2012 at 7:24 PM
Thank you so very much
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)