Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

When Did you decide?

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:07 PM
  • 28 Replies

When did you decide to HS your kids? where they in B&M or did you just start to HS from the start?

What kind of HS do you do? do you HS part time and let them go to B&M ? 

Or do you Unschool?

or maybe you have a curriculum?

Was it a decision you and DH made or just one or the other?

Why did you decide to HS your kids? (doesn't have to be detailed )

I was just courious about how HS is decided on and how it is a option for some ladies :).  Thanks ladies

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb357/2_kiddos/Dragion/fantasyfelicity2.gif

by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:13 PM
We decided halfway through public kinder because of bad experiences. Let her finish (mistake) and started I'm first grade. She is now in second and I have a prek3.
Homeschool completely on our own (besides a gym and swim class at the YMCA) eclectic/Charlotte mason/classical style
We piece our curric but have considered oak meadow
We made the decision together.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rowansmum
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:21 PM
1 mom liked this
My oldest is still just in kinder. Dh was totally against it for no concrete reason. I showed him my lesson plans, started working with our oldest, showed him studies, groups, events etc but he still said no. I finally had to do my version of digging my heels in and put the responsibility of all the school stuff on his shoulders and started looking for a job. School time came ..... And went and he said "well he doesn't need to be in school just yet so you might as well try it for a year"
Meh, he just needed to be given the info and some time. We actually for the most part agree on things and giving him some say on things really has helped :)
We have a book with everything in it but there is way more we want to.teach that isn't in there. We're still finding our way :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2_kiddos
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:28 PM

yeah I do agree DH does have some say in it BUT you have the last say :)

I am a mom of 2. I believe in loving how you choose to live. As long as your not hurting anyone who cares?.My kids are my life you mess with them YOU MESS WITH ME!!!!. My husband loves me with all his heart! 10 years and still counting. We knew each other 2 weeks before we got married!.  I love my life the way it is a few tweaks it will be all right!!!

in love     blowing bubblesice creamteacher

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:32 PM
My oldest two went to public school, I pulled them out at the end of their 1st and 3rd grade years. I came up with the idea and DH said, "whatever it takes for DS to succeed." One was bullied and beat up by kids, the other was put down and bullied by the teacher. DS2 also has ADHD but scored too high toreceive services because I was supplementing his school 2 hrs a night at home.

We use a homeschool charter school. They offer classes, electives and field trips and I get the freedom to choose our own curriculum. DS1 I get the "boxed set", DS2 and DD I mix and match.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
carolkey74
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:06 PM
We did the ps thing until 6th and 3rd. We started hs as school at homers, and now we unschool.
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Quoting 2_kiddos:

When did you decide to HS your kids? where they in B&M or did you just start to HS from the start? DD11 was in brick and mortar school (Catholic schools and part a year in public); my sons have never been to B&M school.

What kind of HS do you do? do you HS part time and let them go to B&M ? In my state it's "all or nothing"; the state does not allow partial or part time enrollment in the public schools. There are couple of private schools that allow it, but they are associated with Bob Jones and we prefer not to be affiliated. So, my children are completely homeschooled. We are traditional, scholastic homeschoolers with somewhat of a classical bent.

Or do you Unschool? Not my cuppa, personally.

or maybe you have a curriculum? We do use an eclectic mix of curricula; I make my own lesson plans. We use Ellen McHenry with Behold and See 6 for science (as well as some TOPS units), Hake Grammar and Writing, Human Odyssey Volume 1 for history, St. Joseph's Baltimore Catechism for religion, Cambridge Course 1 for Latin, Caesar's English 1 for vocabulary; Math Mammoth 6, DragonBox Algebra, and Hands on Equations for pre-algebra.

Was it a decision you and DH made or just one or the other? We both made the decision; I would never homeschool against his wishes - they are his children just as much as they are mine.

Why did you decide to HS your kids? (doesn't have to be detailed ) So many reasons. Academics, faith, exposure and environment.

I was just courious about how HS is decided on and how it is a option for some ladies :).  Thanks ladies

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my place, as a woman, is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of our home.             Aimee

6Fish
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:33 PM

My older boys were in a private Christian school until the beginning of 3rd and 1st grades.  We've always known we did not want our children in public school.  We reached a point financially where we could no longer afford private school.  I'd always said I would never homeschool, but the Lord has a way of changing our hearts! LOL  Our original plan was to homeschool for a year until we could refinance our house and then send them back to the private school.  But, we are now into our 3rd year of homeschooling and we love it.  We won't go back to the private school.  I have realized how much better my children do when they can learn at their own pace, and study the things that truly interest them.  My youngest daughter also has health issues that would make sending her to school a nightmare. 

We use Heart of Dakota curriculum, although we will also branch out and do unit studies if the kids find something they are really interested in.  Last year we studied the Titanic for the 100th anniversary, and right now we are doing a unit on the election.  The thing I love about Heart of Dakota is that I can have my two older boys in the same guide and my younger two in the same guide.  Easier for me, and more fun for them!

My husband is totally on board.  He has wanted to homeschool for a long time, it was me who had to get on board! LOL  I just wasn't sure of my own capabilities, I didn't have anything against the idea of homeschooling.  We also attend a co-op, and my kids are enrolled in other activities---Tae Kwan Do, First Lego League, etc. 

downsouthjunkin
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Quoting 2_kiddos:

When did you decide to HS your kids? where they in B&M or did you just start to HS from the start?----DD was removed in first grade.

What kind of HS do you do? do you HS part time and let them go to B&M ?---We use an eclectic mix. We can dual-enroll here in our state if we choose to.

Or do you Unschool?--No, DD needs structure.

or maybe you have a curriculum?--Singapore Math, Teaching Textbooks,Key to.......workbooks, Michael Clay Thompson Language Arts, Brave Writer, Daily Paragraph Editing (Evan-Moor), Sequential Spelling, Vocabulary Connections, Elemental Science, Daily Geography Practice (Evan-Moor), Switched On Schoolhouse History & Geography,living books, Kingfisher Encyclopedia of History, etc.

Was it a decision you and DH made or just one or the other?---I was actually the one that removed DD. DH was still on the fence. He has since changed his tune and agrees that it was the right choice.

Why did you decide to HS your kids? (doesn't have to be detailed )--DD was removed due to bullying/social problems. Her first grade teacher was awful and bordered on being a bully.

skeletor1017
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 1:24 AM

Quoting 2_kiddos:

When did you decide to HS your kids? where they in B&M or did you just start to HS from the start? Our son has mostly been a B&M school. I did HS his K year and then he asked to go back to school. I wanted to keep HSing but since we had moved and at a base with a bigger school, I figured they would be able to help him better. We'll be back to HSing full time after we move back to the states. Our girls have not been to a PS and won't, If I have my way :)

What kind of HS do you do? do you HS part time and let them go to B&M ? It's going to be ecclectic and full time. 

Or do you Unschool? No, our kiddos need structure.

or maybe you have a curriculum? I've made my own. A little from here and there.

Was it a decision you and DH made or just one or the other? At first, it was my decision. The only thing holding my hubs back was the social aspect. He was afraid that they would end up like him and his siblings. I reassured him that that wouldn't happen and then he was totally on board with it.

Why did you decide to HS your kids? (doesn't have to be detailed ) In my son's K year he was having a lot of problems(undiagnosed ADHD/Autism) and needed to be put into a Special Ed. Pre-K. Because he is smart and we were moving from England to Germany, I chose to HS his K year. That was a very unschooled year since he was above K level and we just had fun. He wanted to go to a "real" school and since it was a larger base and school, I figured it would be okay for him. He started to regress about a month in in 1st grade. Come to find out he and other kids were being bullied by another child on the bus. After pulling him off the bus, I've been driving him since. It's been okay for him but about half way through last year(2nd grade) I've noticed the kids are really not being nice to him and picking on him and his quirks. So, when I found out we are moving back to the states I decided we were going to HS full time. There are many other reasons for HSing but that is a bit of our history with the PS system.

bether89
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 7:47 PM

We started last year in the middle of the year because of the situation in my son's classroom.  We decided to continue hs because ds did not want to go back to B&M school.  Dh and I made the decision together.    Ds is in 4th grade and I have preschooler.  My 4th grader has a curriculum that is a mix of BJU, Saxon, and others.  I make my own for the preschooler.  We do not unschool.  We do all our hs at home.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN