Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Looking for ideas.

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:30 PM
  • 9 Replies
I want to teach my son about mammals, birds , reptiles, amphibians. What are go to fun projects for teaching these groups to your kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Oct. 7, 2012 at 9:35 PM
Nature walks, zoo trips, animal rescue groups, etc.

Www.enchantedlearning.com has great printables for those.

If you like where you can have animals, maybe hatch chickens. I've lways wanted to do that. I still may and then just give them away.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BramblePatch
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:14 PM
I get tons of resources at the local Ranger Station...there also great resources at

http://www.fs.fed.us/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HippieMomma86
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Nature walks.. maybe going to a pet shop and looking at them. I recently took out a book from the library on some random animal and it mentioned it was a mammal.. right away my kids started asking questions and now whenever we talk about an animal, they ask if it is a mammal, reptile, amphibian, then the "is it cold blooded ot warm blooded" questions start. It's amazing how curious kids can be.

oredeb
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:27 AM
1 mom liked this

the zoo!!!

one thing i always do with each child is make a large map of world and as we study the animals we put a little cut out picture of what we are studying on the map where the animal comes from

we start note books of our animals

for a game- we cut out lots of pictures of animals and catagorasize them under mammals, reptiles, birds, amps,

in our notebooks we make sure we find the foot print the animals make and then i cut some out, put on the ground and let the kids go hunting for them,

i make the animals have moving parts out of hardstock so the kids can put them together, naming the parts

we make masks of the animals

take our drawing pads and go hiking hoping we will see some!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 8, 2012 at 6:28 PM

You can go to the Discovery Channel and the Animal Planet Channel. They have projects on their website and all kinds of pictures that you can download and print.  My middle boy is in to all things animals and has such a great  affinity for them and can get them to obey him without having to make a whole lot of verbal commands. I also let him look up all the animals he wanted and make small reports on them and as many as he wanted. He LOVED doing that. learned so much because he would get sooooo animated talking about hie report and what he found out. He was soo adorable when he was animated too. :) 

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Good ideas!!!  I'm going to check these out.  My little guy is having a hard time focusing, I think he needs some new projects...and he loves animals. 

Quoting kirbymom

You can go to the Discovery Channel and the Animal Planet Channel. They have projects on their website and all kinds of pictures that you can download and print.  My middle boy is in to all things animals and has such a great  affinity for them and can get them to obey him without having to make a whole lot of verbal commands. I also let him look up all the animals he wanted and make small reports on them and as many as he wanted. He LOVED doing that. learned so much because he would get sooooo animated talking about hie report and what he found out. He was soo adorable when he was animated too. :) 

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:29 AM

I looked into the Apologia curriculum.   It's a tiny bit costly, if you homeschool on a very strict budget, but they cover Astronomy, Botonay, and then three levels of Zoology, and then Anatomy... at the elementary level (say K-6th?)

It's from a very Christian perspective, though, sorry if that doesn't apply, I don't know what else to suggest except maybe if your child is old enough to volunteer at an animal shelter.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 9, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Yeah, I was skeptical at first but when I saw how much he was actually learning, I decided it was well worth it. :)  And it was just as easy to incorporate what he was learning with animals into his other subjects as well. :)  

Quoting irvinehiker:

Good ideas!!!  I'm going to check these out.  My little guy is having a hard time focusing, I think he needs some new projects...and he loves animals. 

Quoting kirbymom

undefined

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN