Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Are you your children getting proper exercise?

Posted by   + Show Post

According to the CDC, childhood obesity has more than tripled in the past 30 years. The percentage of children aged 6–11 years in the United States who were obese increased from 7% in 1980 to nearly 20% in 2008. Similarly, the percentage of adolescents aged 12–19 years who were obese increased from 5% to 18% over the same period.  http://www.cdc.gov/healthyyouth/obesity/facts.htm

These are frightening statistics. Academic education is extremely important but so is physical exercise. Balance is the key.  Plan about an hour a day for outdoor exercise for your growing children.  There are classes for almost every type of interest. Joining a soccer league for home schooled children is quite common.  Outdoor exercise is a great way to bond and grow with your children. Get out and start moving today!

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:56 PM
Replies (11-19):
starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:34 PM

My boys get plenty of exercise.  If it is nice enough to be outside then they are..

My daughter will be 6 tomorrow.  She loves to be outside also.  It has just gotten cool enough here to be outside.  If we don't get to go outside we do at least 10 minutes of constant exercise.  I have also been slowly modifying (sp?) our meals. 

My kids have always loved fruit so that is not an issue.  I try to always have apples, oranges, bananas, and raisins available.  When possible I also have grapes and strawberries here (depends on cost).  I also keep cans of fruit around all the time.  I know that it is not as good for you as fresh, but certain things like pineapple, mandarin oranges, peaches, and fruit cocktail are things I can only usually find in a can..

I have also cut our fried foods down from 5 days per week to about 1 to 2 days per week.  We are eating alot more meals from the crockpot and oven.  We also eat veggies at nearly every meal.  My kids all love corn, especially corn on the cob.  One of my boys loves turnip greens and has since he was younger.

None of my kids are obese.  My daughter is slightly bigger than she should be, but I've noticed the last few months she is losing it and is really growing taller.  Both of my boys  also went through this stage at her age and they are in very good shape now.

donnadea
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 10:36 PM

my kids play outside, we have a park in our subdivision, they play on the swing, slides etc. run around and play kickball, baseball, soccer. They like to ride scooter and my youngest has skates. I would like to get them bikes but I can't afford it.

We also go for a walk as a family at least 3 times a week, usually more.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 6:46 AM

IMO children that are given ample free time will execise all on their own and they'll call it PLAY.  They will do work all on their own and they'll call it PLAY.  They'll learn all on their own and call it PLAY.  And if they are offered healthy food, multiple times everyday, and see parents eating it right along with them, they will eat healthy all on their own.

My boys and I walked to the creek yesterday.  They ran, skipped, jumped, and wrestled their way through the woods.  They threw rocks across the river.  They climbed a tree.  We sang songs and moved differently for the tempo and pitch.  While they do their lessons, they will bounce on my exercise ball, balance on one foot, hop as they count.  All things that woud be a no-no in the ps.  All exercise, but we don't call it that.

somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 5:45 PM
I do agree exercise is part of, I also believe a lot of it has to do with what people are putting in the foods we buy from the store. Now a days we don't churn our own butter, make our own teas, flour, bread and so on. We go to the store and trust that the food we are buying doesn't have anything harmful in it. Granted there are a bunch of us out there who do make their own flour, butter and so forth. I'm sure they are healthier than those of us who buy processed food. I'm the first to say I buy processed food. However I am doing my best to have fresher foods in the house by growing and making my own.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coala
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 5:53 PM

My kids bounce off the walls.  I turn on Just Dance Kids on the WII if I need them to burn more energy.  We go to the park once a week for playdates, and again on another day to skate in the out door rink.  They go rollerskating on the Saturday for 3-6 hours depending on how long we want to hang at the rink.  I have to say that they are getting a TON of exercise.  The days are finally cooling off here so I can send them outside a little more often.  My kids also eat healthy b/c they aren't given any other alternatives.  You eat what Mom cooks and that is IT!!  I also pack our food when we go to the rink.  I have a child with allergies and I don't know what is in those foods.  They get healthy snacks and I pack a healthy lunch for them.  My kids are learning by example....although if Mom would quit falling and hurting herself she would get more exercise with them.  LOL

rebeccasmly
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 6:05 PM

We attend PE once a week, they are in organized sports. Here at home they help care for the livestock. We also like taking walks and using the trails on the mountain that live at the base of, for hiking.

firehorse13
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 6:09 PM

We've been eating seasonally, which is helping quite a bit.  My kids all ride horses multiple times a week, my oldest is enrolled in a World dance class, and my boys and I go to the park/play in the back yard a few hours a day.

amandae21
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 10:55 PM

My DD plays softball. They practice 3x a week for 2hrs and have 1-2 games a week. Plus I send her and my 2yo outside for at least 30 minutes after lunch. It's the only peace I get lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)