Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Virtual recess

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 7:16 AM
  • 40 Replies

With K12 once a week the kids get a half hour in a chat room setting just as a virtual recess. I was wondering if you know of a website that offers (safe) chatting for other home school kids so maybe she could talk with other kids every day. We do breaks in the day but the kids in the neighborhood don't get home till 3:30. So when we take our break earlier in the day she is bored.

by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 7:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 11, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Here is a link that is for a chat for homeschoolers that I found. It doesn't look like there is a whole bunch out there for chat rooms for young homeschoolers. 

beautifulsmiley
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:48 AM

jumpstart has a program you pay for. its cute and its learning games... the kids can send messages and they can send eachother emails.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:12 AM

Wow!  Where is that?  I've never seen anything like that for my 2 k12ers.  That would be cool.  Or is it in the higher grades maybe? 

amandae21
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:45 AM

It isn't HS specific, but club penguin has chat.

SalemWitchChild
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:27 AM
1 mom liked this

Maybe it's just something her teacher does? Sierra is in 5th grade.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Wow!  Where is that?  I've never seen anything like that for my 2 k12ers.  That would be cool.  Or is it in the higher grades maybe? 

usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Jumpstart.com has something like chat for kids with parent permission.

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:43 PM

I couldn't see the link...

Quoting kirbymom:

Here is a link that is for a chat for homeschoolers that I found. It doesn't look like there is a whole bunch out there for chat rooms for young homeschoolers. 

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Could we set something up? Maybe a private Yahoo group that the kids could log into and share messages back and forth? We'd probably have to set up a specific email account for them.  Maybe do a seperate group for Jr/Sr High age and for Elementary?  If there is interest, I can look into it.

SalemWitchChild
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Maybe we could all skype or something?

Quoting Pukalani79:

Could we set something up? Maybe a private Yahoo group that the kids could log into and share messages back and forth? We'd probably have to set up a specific email account for them.  Maybe do a seperate group for Jr/Sr High age and for Elementary?  If there is interest, I can look into it.

coala
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 2:04 PM
3 moms liked this

I like the idea of doing something like that.  My girls only know how to use Skype.  They aren't able to type just yet.  I think the idea of "virtual recess" is a neat idea.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)