Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

ugh he isnt getting it!!

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:22 PM
  • 15 Replies
I have been trying for nearly an hour to get DS to understand place value with numbers.
hundreds
Tens
Ones

He does fine watching the video on time4learning he aced his quiz with some rewording help from me.
But he just lost it. He can't remember anything. I showed him a chart we did two worksheets and he still isn't getting it!! I am getting so frustrated with it!

Help! How did you cover the topic? What worked best for your kids?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
romacox
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:30 PM

How old is he?

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:40 PM
2 moms liked this
Step away from the computer....lol....take a break from it. If he initially did the work correctly, then it got through. Let it go for today. Try again tomorrow to see what he can remember. If he is still struggling I'd say leave it for a week, then try again.
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:44 PM
2 moms liked this

Math U see teaches it by showing three houses...a little small one, a bigger one and then an even biggger one..they say that up to 9 people can live in one house. Once the 10th person wants to move in, they all need to move to the bigger house.... it was a visual that worked well for my kids.

tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:47 PM
Somedays with things like that at our house we have to walk away..and come back to it the next day. Some times it just needs a little while to sink into their brains. :)
BraydensMama163
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:49 PM
He is 6

Quoting romacox:

How old is he?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katzmeow726
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Sometimes, it is best to step away, and try it again another day, or even week.  When you're both frustrated, it is just not going to work.  Set it aside, and rest for a bit.

I feel you on the math.  My dad spent hours every evening trying to help me with basic concepts, and I just could not get it.  We didn't find out until last year that I have numeric dyslexia...no wonder I sucked at math all those years! 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
coala
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I say try pointing it out in real life situations.  Just ask what number do you see in the one's spot or ten's spot.  I did this and realized it sunk in and I didn't need to drill it.  My 4 yo caught on too.

pixydustmommy
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 5:36 PM

It's a hard concept, it took my daughter forever.  Just try tomorrow, do a little every day.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 11, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Yes. Just walk away. I had the same trouble with my daughter. She would get it right one time and the very next, she would get it wrong.  I had to walk away and come back several different times before it finally caught in her brain. This is one concept that should be repetitive for a month or so.   This concept should be used in every math problem she is doing. When you point it out what the numbers are and the place value of those numbers are each and every time, he will catch on. It just takes time.  I know it seems easy to you but that is because you already know it.  You should try remembering something that you had some difficulty learning and how that made you feel and then you can know where he is coming from. Its not easy but you both can and will get through this. I promise. :)  Just take a break from it for awhile. Then come back and do it again. :)  

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 6:08 PM

He is only 6. Please don't stress.  Take a bit of time off that and come back or just touch on it a bit each day.  

Quoting BraydensMama163:

He is 6

Quoting romacox:

How old is he?

I am a stay at home,  home educating, non-vaxingmother to many children :)  And a very happy wife to a wonderful man!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)