Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My reply to her!

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:42 PM
  • 38 Replies
1 mom liked this

Today in CafeMom confessions a mom said that a homeschool parent is selfish! 

Here is my reply! I normally let stuff go but I had to reply to this one!

Ok here it is plan and simple. I live in an area with a very high crime rate. The school here are the worst in the state. When I pulled my kids from public school their test scores ( yes they still take exams) went up! I have home schooled a total of 8 years now. They always have read above grade level. I taught my son how to read myself using a different method than our local schools, before he ever went to school. My son could read at a second grade level before kindergarten!  I let the public school teach my daugther how to read and she knew only two words ( with my help at that) using their method. When I homeschooled her the next year she was reading on a 2 -3 grade level within 6 months! You tell me public schools can teach my kids better? NO way cause why did there scores suck in public school? I will tell you one reason why. My son is half death and I had doctor notes saying that he needed to be in the front row to hear the teacher better. Yet she would start one week with him in front and always move him back and his grades would sink with his hearing ability! I would pop in a few times a month and see him right back in the back! Most teachers here are over burdened and can't handle so many kids or meet their special needs to boot because they are to busy baby sitting the troublemakers whos parents at home do not care to raise them right!

With in just  the last few years my kids had dozens of field trips and when they were in public school they got ZERO! 

My kids have seen DC (6times), Coloinal Willismburg ( 5 times), Will soon see NYC, have seen been on cruises and seen and traveled the Islands and have been to some of our countries finest Museums. What public school could offer that?

I also started a homeschooling social group in my area. It grew in just one year from 2 parents and 4 kids to over 300! Now I have sprung off since my kids are teens and started a teen only group. They have so many friends its hard to keep up with them all! They are all great friends. We have parties, field trips together , they play sports together and have a lot of fun, with out the unnecessary pressure or bulling they would of got in public school. My group is a group for people of ALL faiths or homeschooling methods to so they can be around people who are different and can learn respect and unity and have peace & real friendship with people who may not believe like you do. Its WORKED well! 

I proudly this year graduate my son with a fully complete, by my state requirements College Prep diploma, not a standar just get by diploma! He has grades good enough and exams so high in scores he could apply to any Scholarship he wants. He is brilliant and was able to flourish in his abilities when I took him out of the public schools and gave him what he needed to truly love learning and not hate it anymore and grow to be the fine young man he is today! 

So do not tell me homeschooling is selfish. Its actually a sacrifice that I happily made. And I will continue to make for my 7th grade daughter. I had to give up a nice car to stay home, nice job I could of had etc. It was a sacrifice but for the better. Because they deserved better than what our public school could give them!!!!!!! 

Home Schoolers ROCK!

by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol I replied to that last night! I was so annoyed! I was very sarcastic. Lol
Me.and.Them
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:51 PM
I just ignore those types of posts/comments
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DesireMM
by Desire' on Oct. 11, 2012 at 2:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I saw that post and got so annoyed. I had to restrain myself from posting. My middle child is blind and public school would have put her in a class of mentally handicapped children, with a teacher that could barely control them. I can not see how that is better than one on one attention. As for needing a college education to teach. LMBO We learn what we have to. Even if it is along with them. It wasn't easy for me to learn Braille. I did though.

SuperMommy408
by Tamara on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:02 PM
1 mom liked this
I saw the post and wanted to respond. But it wouldn't have been a nice response. So I just didn't reply.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:20 PM

LOL - I read a few pages of it - definitely NOT worth the effort to reply! LOL Someone that ignorant and biased isn't going to change theirmind off a discussion forum.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:24 PM
3 moms liked this

This was my reply:

Wow! You really opened a can of worms here. I was a high school teacher. I was certified to teach both language arts and physics and I was only a couple Praxis tests away from being able to teach math as well. Then I had a son and gave it up to stay home with him. When he went to kindergarten I thought that in a few short years I could start prepping to go back to teaching, but the school system was broken! Completely broken. I have 3 boys; they are 3, 5, and 7. I will not send them back to a system that will not allow them to excel! They are very bright. I watched in dismay as my oldest son began to act out. He was bored by the work and the answer in the school was that they couldn't promote him, they wouldn't allow him to do extra work that I sent to them, and that he would have to just ride it out until he had taken the first PSSA (our standardized test).

That said it all to me, they wanted to make sure that his good score stayed in the appropriate grade level. They never set goals above the test standards. They eliminated music and art from the elementary curriculum. The main school (the town school) made all of the lesson plans for the district so that any class in the particular grade would be on the same math page/ language arts page/ phonics page at the same time. They slowed the entire student body down to the slowest child in the class. It was completely ludicrous.

I pulled him out and will not look back.

We are in a vey rural area, and some of the rural areas that you dismiss have very poor local schools. We make sure he has "socialization." He socializes with all age groups, not just his immediate peers. We volunteer at food drives, are very involved in our church family, attend sponsored field trips with a local group, volunteer at a local farm, and are involved in a local soccer organization.

I can honestl say we have a very strict schedule, but they also have many choices inside that schedule. They decide what class comes next each hour. We must wake with the alarm in time for the milking at 6:30 in the morning. They have chores that must be finished before breakfast. They have school in 3 shifts: 7:45-9:45, 10:30-12:00, and 2-4 every day.

From one teacher to another, you sound incredibly closed-minded about the whole thing. When I was teaching I had a number of Mormon families that homeschooled until 9th grade. All of the kids that I saw from those families were mature, intelligent, well-spoken and very happy social little beings. I think you should broaden your horizons a bit.

suziejax
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:34 PM

I normally ignore those posts but today I just couldn't sit silent ,, we have worked to hard!

suziejax
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:35 PM

good

Quoting bluerooffarm:

This was my reply:

Wow! You really opened a can of worms here. I was a high school teacher. I was certified to teach both language arts and physics and I was only a couple Praxis tests away from being able to teach math as well. Then I had a son and gave it up to stay home with him. When he went to kindergarten I thought that in a few short years I could start prepping to go back to teaching, but the school system was broken! Completely broken. I have 3 boys; they are 3, 5, and 7. I will not send them back to a system that will not allow them to excel! They are very bright. I watched in dismay as my oldest son began to act out. He was bored by the work and the answer in the school was that they couldn't promote him, they wouldn't allow him to do extra work that I sent to them, and that he would have to just ride it out until he had taken the first PSSA (our standardized test).

That said it all to me, they wanted to make sure that his good score stayed in the appropriate grade level. They never set goals above the test standards. They eliminated music and art from the elementary curriculum. The main school (the town school) made all of the lesson plans for the district so that any class in the particular grade would be on the same math page/ language arts page/ phonics page at the same time. They slowed the entire student body down to the slowest child in the class. It was completely ludicrous.

I pulled him out and will not look back.

We are in a vey rural area, and some of the rural areas that you dismiss have very poor local schools. We make sure he has "socialization." He socializes with all age groups, not just his immediate peers. We volunteer at food drives, are very involved in our church family, attend sponsored field trips with a local group, volunteer at a local farm, and are involved in a local soccer organization.

I can honestl say we have a very strict schedule, but they also have many choices inside that schedule. They decide what class comes next each hour. We must wake with the alarm in time for the milking at 6:30 in the morning. They have chores that must be finished before breakfast. They have school in 3 shifts: 7:45-9:45, 10:30-12:00, and 2-4 every day.

From one teacher to another, you sound incredibly closed-minded about the whole thing. When I was teaching I had a number of Mormon families that homeschooled until 9th grade. All of the kids that I saw from those families were mature, intelligent, well-spoken and very happy social little beings. I think you should broaden your horizons a bit.

suziejax
by Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:36 PM

So true!

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

LOL - I read a few pages of it - definitely NOT worth the effort to reply! LOL Someone that ignorant and biased isn't going to change theirmind off a discussion forum.

katzmeow726
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 3:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I did too...it was obvious that the anon had no idea what she was talking about.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)