Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

And this is why block scheduling doesn't work for us!

Posted by   + Show Post

I finished our third art lesson early this afternoon.  I was so jazzed that we were back on schedule even after taking a vacation week at the beach last week!  Then I looked at my daily plan.  We were supposed to be doing music, not art today!  DANG!  So we did one music lesson and hope to get back-back on schedule tomorrow!

I'm going to try to convince the boys to choose single lessons next month! 

PS I was also very proud that I started right in on art... I HATE art!!

by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 5:08 PM
Replies (11-20):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:04 AM

Quoting Precious333:

I tried that last year....I could no make it happen. We try and do all the subjects everyday....its still hit and miss sometimes!

I'm pretty organized, so when Zave asked for it, I thought why not?  I didn't think about the way I look in my book and write it all on the white board.  Since I don't look back in the planner until the end to check it all off, I've found a chink in my armor!  LOL

ablessedlife
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:26 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting bluerooffarm:

We actually do Art and Science together. We also sing the national anthem, sing other learning songs, do maps together and we make a morning out of it. They even get recess and I ring a bell when recess is over. The kids have been having a really good time. It's been the best change I've made this year.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:38 AM
1 mom liked this

LOL aw! I'm sorry.

MamaHome
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Quoting ablessedlife:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

We actually do Art and Science together. We also sing the national anthem, sing other learning songs, do maps together and we make a morning out of it. They even get recess and I ring a bell when recess is over. The kids have been having a really good time. It's been the best change I've made this year.

This is exactly what we do...combine art and science. It makes it a duel lesson and my kiddos retain the info better. :) Glad I'm not alone.

jynkx
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 5:27 PM
1 mom liked this

i try to do the daily assignments, but we often end up doing it by blocks.  i use the percentage rates to know what we need to catch up on with block learning.  works for us.

celticdragon77
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 6:08 AM

I know that I am digging a really old post up, but what is block scheduling? Is it like public school, where they only do half the subjects for half the year - but do each subject for longer each day?

You hate art?! That concept baffles me. 

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 6:57 AM

Quoting celticdragon77:

I know that I am digging a really old post up, but what is block scheduling? Is it like public school, where they only do half the subjects for half the year - but do each subject for longer each day?

Block scheduling can be done one of two ways.  Either you can do half of the subjects the first "semester" and half the second "semester" OR you can do half the subjects on Monday and Wednesday and half on Thursday and Friday.  We set our week up like this:  Language Arts and Math every day, then Art on Monday, Science on Tuesday, Music Wednesday, and history Thursday. (I think that was the schedule, it's been a long while) and we would do our block subject for 2 hours for art and music or 3 hours for science and history. 

As for art it is one of the scars from public school for me.  I got a D in art in middle school.  Not because I didn't finish the projects, not because I didn't try really hard.  Just because I had to explain what everything I drew was to the teacher.  I just wasn't good at it (drawing, that is.  I can crochet, cross stitch, knit and throw pottery like nobodies' business.).  So to this day I avoid it where I can.  The boys LOVE art, but I cringe each time I think of art lessons.

celticdragon77
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 8:30 AM

Did this block scheduling work for you? Or did you ditch it for some reason? I am curious because to every subject each day, in a short day, seems "superficial".

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting celticdragon77:

Block scheduling can be done one of two ways.  Either you can do half of the subjects the first "semester" and half the second "semester" OR you can do half the subjects on Monday and Wednesday and half on Thursday and Friday.  We set our week up like this:  Language Arts and Math every day, then Art on Monday, Science on Tuesday, Music Wednesday, and history Thursday. (I think that was the schedule, it's been a long while) and we would do our block subject for 2 hours for art and music or 3 hours for science and history. 

As for art it is one of the scars from public school for me.  I got a D in art in middle school.  Not because I didn't finish the projects, not because I didn't try really hard.  Just because I had to explain what everything I drew was to the teacher.  I just wasn't good at it (drawing, that is.  I can crochet, cross stitch, knit and throw pottery like nobodies' business.).  So to this day I avoid it where I can.  The boys LOVE art, but I cringe each time I think of art lessons.

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... Emerson 

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 8:49 AM

It did not work for us.  We now do:  Math, Language Arts, History, Science, and Geography every day, and we do Music and Art twice a week.  At the time we were using k12 and they determined the "length" of a lesson and how many lessons needed completed each week.  Lessons at the public school are about 45 minutes, I can cover the same amount of material with my 3 kids in less than half that time, so even doing 30 minute lessons gets more material covered than the ps does (other than some experiments in science).   So our day goes something like this:  7:30-8 Language arts, 8-8:30 Math, 8:30-9 history, 9-9:30 science, 9:30-10 snack or finish science experiment, 10-10:30 geography, 10:30-11 health and nutrition, 11-12 gym, 12-12:30 lunch, 12:30-1:30 music or art.  1:30 begins "flat on bed" time which the older ones read for fun and youngest naps.  2:00 on id writing, other language arts skills like grammar, spelling, dictionary, etc.  And documentaries, etc.  Basically anything learning goes!  LOL  They usually break to play the wii or go play outside by 4:00.  They make most of the choices about what we do when although I like science to be aroun d snack time to give us the extra time.

Quoting celticdragon77:

Did this block scheduling work for you? Or did you ditch it for some reason? I am curious because to every subject each day, in a short day, seems "superficial".

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting celticdragon77:

Liebschin
by Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:01 AM
1 mom liked this

Block scheduling is the only thing that seems to work for my daughter.  She likes to dig into a subject or a project and hates to transition so we do block days.  We do language arts/reading every day (she's 6 and a beginning reader) and science, math, art, music, social studies, and Tech (computers) one day a week.  Music is usually on the same day as Tech and social studies and art often go together.  Work with what works for the kiddos.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)