Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

And this is why block scheduling doesn't work for us!

Posted by   + Show Post

I finished our third art lesson early this afternoon.  I was so jazzed that we were back on schedule even after taking a vacation week at the beach last week!  Then I looked at my daily plan.  We were supposed to be doing music, not art today!  DANG!  So we did one music lesson and hope to get back-back on schedule tomorrow!

I'm going to try to convince the boys to choose single lessons next month! 

PS I was also very proud that I started right in on art... I HATE art!!

by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 5:08 PM
Replies (21-25):
oredeb
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:22 AM
1 mom liked this

hahahahahahahaha!!

celticdragon77
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:03 AM

I am starting school this week, but I decided that for this month, I will only cover some basic skills that I want them to use when homeschooling with me.

A lot of writing stuff - like how to use m.s. office, do an outline, a research report, paragraph writing, and just some other misc writing stuff that I have here. We are going to be doing a lot of notebooking and unit studies, so I want to make sure that these skills are covered first. 

I also want to go over the scientific method, some math drills and games, phonics, and some geography. 

But once we got into August, I had planned to everyday do the core subjects of math, science, history and english. I just don't know if a half hour of science or history is enough when you add in the projects / experiments, reading, writing... that I want to do within these subjects.I want them to have more time to dive into them with some depth.

I only have 4hrs a day that I an work with them, with school.    

Quoting bluerooffarm:

It did not work for us.  We now do:  Math, Language Arts, History, Science, and Geography every day, and we do Music and Art twice a week.  At the time we were using k12 and they determined the "length" of a lesson and how many lessons needed completed each week.  Lessons at the public school are about 45 minutes, I can cover the same amount of material with my 3 kids in less than half that time, so even doing 30 minute lessons gets more material covered than the ps does (other than some experiments in science).   So our day goes something like this:  7:30-8 Language arts, 8-8:30 Math, 8:30-9 history, 9-9:30 science, 9:30-10 snack or finish science experiment, 10-10:30 geography, 10:30-11 health and nutrition, 11-12 gym, 12-12:30 lunch, 12:30-1:30 music or art.  1:30 begins "flat on bed" time which the older ones read for fun and youngest naps.  2:00 on id writing, other language arts skills like grammar, spelling, dictionary, etc.  And documentaries, etc.  Basically anything learning goes!  LOL  They usually break to play the wii or go play outside by 4:00.  They make most of the choices about what we do when although I like science to be aroun d snack time to give us the extra time.

Quoting celticdragon77:

Did this block scheduling work for you? Or did you ditch it for some reason? I am curious because to every subject each day, in a short day, seems "superficial".

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting celticdragon77:

I know that I am digging a really old post up, but what is block scheduling? Is it like public school, where they only do half the subjects for half the year - but do each subject for longer each day?

You hate art?! That concept baffles me. 

Block scheduling can be done one of two ways.  Either you can do half of the subjects the first "semester" and half the second "semester" OR you can do half the subjects on Monday and Wednesday and half on Thursday and Friday.  We set our week up like this:  Language Arts and Math every day, then Art on Monday, Science on Tuesday, Music Wednesday, and history Thursday. (I think that was the schedule, it's been a long while) and we would do our block subject for 2 hours for art and music or 3 hours for science and history. 

As for art it is one of the scars from public school for me.  I got a D in art in middle school.  Not because I didn't finish the projects, not because I didn't try really hard.  Just because I had to explain what everything I drew was to the teacher.  I just wasn't good at it (drawing, that is.  I can crochet, cross stitch, knit and throw pottery like nobodies' business.).  So to this day I avoid it where I can.  The boys LOVE art, but I cringe each time I think of art lessons.

Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air... Emerson 

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:30 AM
I like your idea to focus on the writing stuff before expecting them to do so much writing. Do you have any resources for teaching that stuff that you can share? My kids will need some skills like that, that I don't think they got in ps.

I like the idea of blocks, because they can dig in deeper, it's good for some subjects. How old are your kids? I wonder if you could do some blocks...cover what you need to teach in the four hours, do the 'block' subject last, then they can dig in more while you go to bed. If they have questions they can't find the answer too, they can write them down and you can review them first thing the next school day, or over dinner maybe. Just an idea.

Quoting celticdragon77:

I am starting school this week, but I decided that for this month, I will only cover some basic skills that I want them to use when homeschooling with me.

A lot of writing stuff - like how to use m.s. office, do an outline, a research report, paragraph writing, and just some other misc writing stuff that I have here. We are going to be doing a lot of notebooking and unit studies, so I want to make sure that these skills are covered first. 

I also want to go over the scientific method, some math drills and games, phonics, and some geography. 

But once we got into August, I had planned to everyday do the core subjects of math, science, history and english. I just don't know if a half hour of science or history is enough when you add in the projects / experiments, reading, writing... that I want to do within these subjects.I want them to have more time to dive into them with some depth.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

It did not work for us.  We now do:  Math, Language Arts, History, Science, and Geography every day, and we do Music and Art twice a week.  At the time we were using k12 and they determined the "length" of a lesson and how many lessons needed completed each week.  Lessons at the public school are about 45 minutes, I can cover the same amount of material with my 3 kids in less than half that time, so even doing 30 minute lessons gets more material covered than the ps does (other than some experiments in science).   So our day goes something like this:  7:30-8 Language arts, 8-8:30 Math, 8:30-9 history, 9-9:30 science, 9:30-10 snack or finish science experiment, 10-10:30 geography, 10:30-11 health and nutrition, 11-12 gym, 12-12:30 lunch, 12:30-1:30 music or art.  1:30 begins "flat on bed" time which the older ones read for fun and youngest naps.  2:00 on id writing, other language arts skills like grammar, spelling, dictionary, etc.  And documentaries, etc.  Basically anything learning goes!  LOL  They usually break to play the wii or go play outside by 4:00.  They make most of the choices about what we do when although I like science to be aroun d snack time to give us the extra time.

Quoting celticdragon77:

Did this block scheduling work for you? Or did you ditch it for some reason? I am curious because to every subject each day, in a short day, seems "superficial".

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting celticdragon77:

I know that I am digging a really old post up, but what is block scheduling? Is it like public school, where they only do half the subjects for half the year - but do each subject for longer each day?

Block scheduling can be done one of two ways.  Either you can do half of the subjects the first "semester" and half the second "semester" OR you can do half the subjects on Monday and Wednesday and half on Thursday and Friday.  We set our week up like this:  Language Arts and Math every day, then Art on Monday, Science on Tuesday, Music Wednesday, and history Thursday. (I think that was the schedule, it's been a long while) and we would do our block subject for 2 hours for art and music or 3 hours for science and history. 

As for art it is one of the scars from public school for me.  I got a D in art in middle school.  Not because I didn't finish the projects, not because I didn't try really hard.  Just because I had to explain what everything I drew was to the teacher.  I just wasn't good at it (drawing, that is.  I can crochet, cross stitch, knit and throw pottery like nobodies' business.).  So to this day I avoid it where I can.  The boys LOVE art, but I cringe each time I think of art lessons.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:38 AM

I like to assign some reading (maybe once a week each) for history and science.  They can do that quietly in the afternoon while youngest is napping and we can talk about it and get in depth with it the following day.  We've covered note-taking for informational texts each year, so they take notes on what they read place post-its (yellow for questions and red for "I did not understand this at all") and we can go through those the following day too.  Really the only subject that regularly takes more than the half hour is science.  It's usually twice a week during the longer experiments.

Yours are older than mine.  We only do basic outlines.  We have a poster for the scientific method up in the classroom and review it once a month or so.  They have math drill games on their tablets as well as some phonics games, vocabulary games, etc.  So they often play those in the afternoon or evening.  It doesn't always need to take time out of your "with-them" lessons.  I only work with them in the mornings, really.  Then I'm around to answer questions, but that stuff is pretty on their own, kwim?

Quoting celticdragon77:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting celticdragon77:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting celticdragon77:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Have you tried the hamburger method?  http://freeology.com/graphicorgs/hamburger-paragraph-writing-form/

For informational text note-taking I use the viualize, cover & jot, reread method: http://tworeflectiveteachers.blogspot.com/2012/08/note-taking-strategies-for.html

But I add post-it notes for the areas they are having trouble understanding.  They have 4 colors of post-it note: Green is for making connections and remembering then to make sure they are accurate.  Blue is for writing down a question about a related topic (ie we are covering the water cycle and they want to ask about flooding and the water table, they use a blue post-it for that question), Yellow is for clarification and asking an on topic question, and red is for when they do not understand the topic well enough to even ask a question about it.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

I like your idea to focus on the writing stuff before expecting them to do so much writing. Do you have any resources for teaching that stuff that you can share? My kids will need some skills like that, that I don't think they got in ps.

I like the idea of blocks, because they can dig in deeper, it's good for some subjects. How old are your kids? I wonder if you could do some blocks...cover what you need to teach in the four hours, do the 'block' subject last, then they can dig in more while you go to bed. If they have questions they can't find the answer too, they can write them down and you can review them first thing the next school day, or over dinner maybe. Just an idea.

Quoting celticdragon77:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting celticdragon77:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting celticdragon77:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)