Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What should a 1st grader know?

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:20 PM
  • 21 Replies

At the end of first grade; what should my son know?

I am wanting to make sure I don't allow him to fall behind. I feel like we are doing ok but sometimes I feel like I am allowing him to slack off. 

Things we are working on:

reading... He is picking up reading a lot better. Can read small reader books. He stumbles a lot tho. I am working really hard on this skill with him. We have readingeggs.com; starfall.com, time4learning.com and I have him read to me.

math- teaching him single digit addition right now. I am going slow wtih this as we have had some isssues. Also I have worked with him on counting money. We worked a little on reading a clock over the summer and I have worked some on subtraction.

Science- I am doing a science curriculm. It has covered living/non living and we're on earth science right now.

Spelling- he is almost throught HOP: Hooked On Spelling and I am going to start on "All about Spelling."

Grammar- I am using "Growing with Grammar." He has learned that sentences start with a capital and end with a punctuation mark. He knows the difference between question sentence, exclamation, statement, and fragments.

Social Studies- we have worked on how to read a map, where continents, oceans, etc... are, learned about Columbus, Pocahontos, Native Americans, George Washington and other things. I am half way through his Social Studies curriculum. I also get outside books and read to him and movies as well. 

With Science and Social studies- I use a lot of extra stuff from the library over the topics that we are discussing. I also use cartoons and other media that is at my disposal. We have brainpopjr.com that we use a lot. I also try to do hands on experiments and hikes and stuff that would be fun for him. 

I am trying hard to do this right, lol.

I feel bad tho because today I allowed them to do readingeggs.com, starfall.com and time4learning.com. I strayed away from my usual curriculum and allowed a light day. However they did time4learning for 3 hrs and they did at least one lesson of each subject. 

by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Eve4brandon
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:48 PM
1 mom liked this

My son is in first grade too. We use the K12 program. He is learning at same level yours is at. We are having a bit of trouble with one digit addition too. Today we both needed a break. We have great days and we have bad days too. Times when I can't keep his attention any more than 10 minutes or so for lessons. Don't feel bad if you need to have a light day. I forget that myself. Sometimes I get so overwhelmed and frustrated that I want to cry. Then I have to remind myself that I am in charge of the curriculum. I am in full charge of my day, not K12. It's ok not to finish everything. By the way, I love Reading Eggs! Matt has learned a lot just from doing lessons off of that site. I'm also going to check out some sites that are mentioned in this homeschooling group that I never heard about. This is my 2nd year homeschooling with K12. Have a wonderful weekend!

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 10:45 PM

They are all different.

From what I hear that is a great start to education.

My own son by the end of first grade could...

tell you about the nitrogen cycle, how decomposers are used in the environment, what an biome and biosphere were, what pollution was and ways to help protect the earth.   He could tell you the difference between deciduous, evergreen, and tropical forests were.    He could lable a world map with the continents, oceans, poles, equator, and the compass rose (nsew).    He also, if you gave him a list of countries per continent, plug in about 58 differnt countries of the world and knew something about a few more prominent countries on each continent.   He had learned 29 memory verses, too, and had a decent grasp on the book of Matthew.

However, that was due to the My Father's World program we used and the games we played that helped them to learn the countries and cultures.

Now?   He can't remember half that stuff... but he still has the love of learning that it put in his heart.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:32 AM

See...this is a post I was 99% sure I replied to... LOL

Get the "What your __ grader needs to know" books. they are great!

BraydensMama163
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:40 AM
Your using time4learning and supplements?

I also have a first grader and we just started t4l
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lucsch
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 2:01 AM
2 moms liked this

If you can see steady learning and progress, then that's where he should be. I always try to challenge my dd but not to the point of frustration.

A 1st grader needs phonics and reading practice. I would guess that some 1st graders read very well, while others are still struggling. Just keep plugging along. Have him work on handwriting, perhaps some simple copywork. IMO, there is no need for grammar and writing at this age. He needs to learn to read and do lots of it so he can spell well. Writing early just reinforces bad spelling IMO. For a similar reason, grammar makes no sense until he can see and read sentences. Copywork will expose him to proper spelling, punctuation, and capitallization.

For math, keep practicing the addition/subtraction facts and make sure he gets a good understanding of what it means to add and subtract. Count to 100. Include some money identification, place value to 100's place, maybe some measurement, time to the half hour. Math is one area I feel strongly about, and a great math curriculum will guide you through it. We like CLE (Christian Light Education), but there are many other good math programs. I personally  like workbooks so there isn't a lot of copying involved for math. There is enough writing in the computation without that! Manipulatives are essential to demonstrate the concepts at this age. For something very inexpensive, I like the Advantage Math series. You will have to do the teaching with that, though.

Read aloud to him about a variety of other subjects (science, history, children's literature, poetry). Listen to music. Do a variety of art and drawing projects. Go outside for nature walks. We have just started this--quite accidentally because we started walking mainly for exercise. I am amazed at what we are observing and learning just by walking in the woods and fields. We will see somethiing and go research it. Learning can be fun!

Seriously, 1st grade should not take more than 2 hours per day. Don't overdo it.

BTW, my dd is a 4th grader. We are in our 6th year of homeschooling..

romacox
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:40 AM
chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Time4learning is not his core curriculum. I bought him a core curriculum but I use t4l on light days or for things that I might not think about teaching him. I also use readingeggs. brainpopjr. and starfall to help them as well. I have 3 sons; 6.5, 4.5, and 2. So these programs help all of them in some way or another. 

Quoting BraydensMama163:

Your using time4learning and supplements?

I also have a first grader and we just started t4l

chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Thanks! I definitely feel like I am on the right track now after reading your reply. We do journal for writing. I sit there and help him spell out the words that he does not know. Most of the math stuff he actually already knows :) Just addition and subtraction are our hard ones right now. He knows (for the most part) his coins and we do work with him on that and he can add them fairly well. I need to work with him on counting by 2s but yea I feel tons better. Thanks a lot. I read a post in another group and I started to worry if I was failing my child.

Quoting lucsch:

If you can see steady learning and progress, then that's where he should be. I always try to challenge my dd but not to the point of frustration.

A 1st grader needs phonics and reading practice. I would guess that some 1st graders read very well, while others are still struggling. Just keep plugging along. Have him work on handwriting, perhaps some simple copywork. IMO, there is no need for grammar and writing at this age. He needs to learn to read and do lots of it so he can spell well. Writing early just reinforces bad spelling IMO. For a similar reason, grammar makes no sense until he can see and read sentences. Copywork will expose him to proper spelling, punctuation, and capitallization.

For math, keep practicing the addition/subtraction facts and make sure he gets a good understanding of what it means to add and subtract. Count to 100. Include some money identification, place value to 100's place, maybe some measurement, time to the half hour. Math is one area I feel strongly about, and a great math curriculum will guide you through it. We like CLE (Christian Light Education), but there are many other good math programs. I personally  like workbooks so there isn't a lot of copying involved for math. There is enough writing in the computation without that! Manipulatives are essential to demonstrate the concepts at this age. For something very inexpensive, I like the Advantage Math series. You will have to do the teaching with that, though.

Read aloud to him about a variety of other subjects (science, history, children's literature, poetry). Listen to music. Do a variety of art and drawing projects. Go outside for nature walks. We have just started this--quite accidentally because we started walking mainly for exercise. I am amazed at what we are observing and learning just by walking in the woods and fields. We will see somethiing and go research it. Learning can be fun!

Seriously, 1st grade should not take more than 2 hours per day. Don't overdo it.

BTW, my dd is a 4th grader. We are in our 6th year of homeschooling..

MButterfly
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:15 AM
http://www.worldbook.com/typical-course-of-study

I go here to see if my kids are 'on track'.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
downsouthjunkin
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 10:08 AM
1 mom liked this

Get Rebecca Rupp's book Home Learning Year by Year. Gives excellent guidelines for each grade.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN