Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:13 AM
Replies (11-18):
superwoman0105
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:49 AM

I did for about a month but it was not a great fit for our family so we pulled out and are doing Abeka now.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 9:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Welcome!

Quoting tracykelly79:

This is our 2nd year. I have a first grader this year. Bluerooffarm gave you the best advice! Don't let it get to you. I have been considering traditional homeschooling myself, because sometimes the amount of material and busy work can seem overwhelming. If you use K12, it is great because the material is laid out for you and the curriculum is wonderful. On the other hand, it is very time consuming and you definitely have time restraints. Just try to stay were you need to on the progress and select the lessons you think are necessary and pass on the others. I know in LA, we are given about 3 different activities. I usually choose 1 out of the 3 that I feel will best help my son learn the material. Don't try to do it all. 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Welcome!

Quoting beautifulsmiley:

I just started k12 kindergarten this week im lost too... we were doing my fathers world while waiting for my dear sons books and approval. he has a IEP and it was a long waiting process to get that set up.

we have only done it for one week and im thinking of just going back to my fathers world! however my Dear Sons teacher requested we give it a month... she said it takes that long to get the hang of it! we shall see......

lifesadream83
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 10:09 AM
We use k12 independent study for la... It takes like 2-3 hours / 4 to get through a days work and we have been re thinking it as it does end up being the longest part of our HS day. I did all k12 last year and it was a total flop as we ended up switching almost all subjects by the end of the year....I also swapped or the grammar for first language lessons then when she has an issue I pull out k12's grammar and that seams to work... It is a lot of material! And it caused a very big rift for me and my dd8 last year... Now LA is all oral. That also helped alot
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Do you have to pay for the independent study?

Quoting lifesadream83:

We use k12 independent study for la... It takes like 2-3 hours / 4 to get through a days work and we have been re thinking it as it does end up being the longest part of our HS day. I did all k12 last year and it was a total flop as we ended up switching almost all subjects by the end of the year....I also swapped or the grammar for first language lessons then when she has an issue I pull out k12's grammar and that seams to work... It is a lot of material! And it caused a very big rift for me and my dd8 last year... Now LA is all oral. That also helped alot

LoriAlane8
by Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 10:47 PM
1 mom liked this

K12 offers a whole lot of sessions for parents. Be sure to check your Online School's Announcements area and attend as you can. Some great info!

NiceMom06
by Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 2:24 AM
thank you

Quoting LoriAlane8:

K12 offers a whole lot of sessions for parents. Be sure to check your Online School's Announcements area and attend as you can. Some great info!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lifesadream83
by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Quoting mem82:

Do you have to pay for the independent study?

Quoting lifesadream83:

Yes, you do have to pay for the Independent Study option.  You pay for 1 year access to the course (or by month) and you pay for the curriculum (books, teachers guides, materials, etc.) itself.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)