Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Not sure I can plan this one myself...

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:15 AM
  • 17 Replies

We're going to study early American history... all of it. From Columbus to Abraham Lincoln and more. I'm conflicted on how to go about it. This is our first year homeschooling and we usually do studies like this using books from the library... but studying THAT much history without a guide or something is overwhelming! I want to do a good, thorough job. Can anyone recommend any good resources? Textbooks? DD is in 3rd grade.

by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Just remember, the way to eat an entire elephant is one bite at a time. I make my own curriculum so I can't really recommend anything. Good luck!!

amandae21
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:25 AM

LOL thanks!

Quoting mem82:

Just remember, the way to eat an entire elephant is one bite at a time. I make my own curriculum so I can't really recommend anything. Good luck!!

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Rod & Staff offers North American history for the 5th grade level.   My 3rd grade son is advanced and we r going to do it with my 5th and 3rd grader next semester and thru the summer.   u can go to rod & staff website and see example lessons online.

It covers the native americans, columbus, etc...  It's about 50 bucks...   would be easy to add to by getting books from the library or to adjust to make easier.

usmom3
by BJ on Oct. 12, 2012 at 12:40 PM

I would still look at the library for a history book to aid you.

downsouthjunkin
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Here are some of the books I use for American history:

The Complete Book of United States History (American Education Publishing) says for grades 3-5

Everything You Need to Know About American History Homework (Scholastic Homework Reference Series) says for grades 4-6, but I used it starting in 3rd)

The Civil War for Kids-A History with 21 Activities by Janis Herbert

Colonial Kids-An Activity Guide to Life in the New World by Laurie Carlson

Westward Ho!-An Activity Guide to the Wild West by Laurie Carlson

An American Army of Two by Janet Greeson

What's the Big Idea, Ben Franklin? by Jean Fritz (J. Fritz has quite a few books to use for A. history)

Journey to Ellis Island by Carol Bierman

A More Perfect Union-The Story of Our Constitution by Betsy &  Giulio Maestro (there are more books by these authors for history and DD would actually read them-LOL)

You Wouldn't Want to Be at the Boston Tea Party!-Wharf Water Tea  You'd Rather Not Drink by Peter Cook (these are a series/there are more about different parts of history/really funny)

By the Dawn's Early Light-The Story of the Star Spangled Banner by Steven Kroll

If You Traveled West in a Covered Wagon by Ellen Levine (these are also a series)

Scholastic Encyclopedia of the Civil War

kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 12, 2012 at 1:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with mem.  Take one bite at a time. Start with the first name on your list and do a research on him. What are all the pertinant things you want your kids to learn? Teach on those things. Do the same with the next one on the list.  And so on and so forth. I also, like mem, make my own curriculum. I don't buy any at all.  You can utiliize your library for each person and you can also use websites for each person. I have a link to Christopher Columbus' Journal. Its an amazing read. This Journal is supposed to be about his personal/private thoughts.                                                                                                   You may want to check it out.... http://www.historyguide.org/earlymod/columbus.html 

Quoting mem82:

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:10 PM
1 mom liked this

could look at beautiful feet.  they have early american history for many different grades, their book isn't very expensive, it's all the other books that go with it, but i'm sure you could find them at the library.

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:14 PM

When my children were little we used the Beautiful Feet Early American History and LOVED it.  I passed it on to one of the boys and they are going to use it for Cameron :-)     Well, it isn't letting me paste the link. I will try again in another reply.

TarotMommy
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:24 PM

For gently used books, http://www.homeschoolbooksmart.com/

To see if Pagan Mothering is in your cards,  just click my siggie...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)