Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Not sure I can plan this one myself...

Posted by   + Show Post

We're going to study early American history... all of it. From Columbus to Abraham Lincoln and more. I'm conflicted on how to go about it. This is our first year homeschooling and we usually do studies like this using books from the library... but studying THAT much history without a guide or something is overwhelming! I want to do a good, thorough job. Can anyone recommend any good resources? Textbooks? DD is in 3rd grade.

by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:15 AM
Replies (11-17):
mommytobooger
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:32 AM

i also make my own curriculum, however i was just told about the book "the mystery to history" and i have to say i was researching it today and i love it, i am adding this in our curriculum right away. it explains history from the very begining of time and teaches stories from around the world in a biblical sense. I really love what i have read so far. see what you think.

lifesadream83
by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 10:25 AM
We are starting American History next year using Sonlight' 2 yr program they also have a one yr program ... There is also the story of us books and you could build off those... If I were writing my own( I was going to then liked that sonlight was done already) I would get one of the kids encyclopedia's of American history an then find a book or two for each major topic (usborne, kingfisher,dk) I would have posted nicer with links but my laptop just died :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 14, 2012 at 11:09 AM

I hope you got some inspiration.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Oct. 14, 2012 at 8:59 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amalani
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 2:05 PM
I plan on using Homeschool in the woods Early American History activity packs with my daughter as her next unit study...currently we are working on Native American history through Thanksgiving.

But I am so excited for the activity packs, because my daughter retains sooo much better when we do hands on activities. They are very thorough and not too expensive (under $30).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
swim-mom72
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Go to currclick.com , they have some amazing unit studies for this time period. So, a unit study or literature appraoch is what I would suggest. If neither of those float your boat, Queens homeschooling, Beautiful Feet and Winter's Promise may be more what you are wanting.

swati88
by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 4:05 AM

yes why not,you can give it a try for sure!! Infact i suggest one should try for sure

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)