Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

New Homeschooler in South Carolina

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:36 PM
  • 11 Replies

Hi Ladies! I haven't actually taken the plunge yet but I have made my decision. I want to take my 6 year old daughter out of public school (she is in Kindergarten) and homeschool her. I think it is the best choice for our family. I am feeling a little overwhelmed, however, with where I should start. I have researched the legal side of it and know how to handle that part but I am having difficulty with where I should start on a curriculum. Can you guys please give a newbie some pointers? Who does charter schools and how do you feel about it? Who does their own curriculum and where do you get it, cost, etc? What would you recommend?

I just felt that the best place to look for information would be from other moms with experience. Thanks in advance! I appreciate any help you can offer!

by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TarotMommy
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:18 PM

I buy all of my home-school books, gently used, locally. They do have a website it is http://www.homeschoolbooksmart.com/

Buying gently used will save you tons on a curriculum because they can be very pricey. I also peruse the internet for worksheets. Some great sites are:

http://www.softbooks.com/

http://www.schoolexpress.com/

http://www.scholastic.com/

http://www.SuperTeacherWorksheets.com/

http://www.lessonplanet.com/

http://www.kidspast.com/

http://www.lizardpoint.com/  (I love their math worksheet generators)

To see if Pagan Mothering is in your cards,  just click my siggie...

TarotMommy
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Also look at Kickbutts Resources Worksheets post for more websites of free worksheets. It's a great list!

To see if Pagan Mothering is in your cards,  just click my siggie...

kirbymom
by Sonja on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Welcome NightSky! :)  

Well, I write my own curriculum. I teach according to interests and ability. I use activity books and old used books that have been given and or I will buy an occasional used book that is dirt cheap. :)  I write everything by hand and sometimes I print from the many websites that are free for some of their worksheets.  I prefer very cheap to absolutely free. :)  

For starters, you should probably take a week or 2 and just de-school your daughter. She is used to doing the public school way, that you will want to help ease this transition from public teaching to home school teaching, so that you can teach her freely the way that is best suited to her learning style.  

What does she already know? What do you want her to know?   At this stage, she should have fun and learn to love learning. this is going to be a wonderful adventerous time of getting to really know each other and find out all the things in and around you that are beautiful and see them together. 

Read everything she loves, play with the things she loves to play with, while looking at them in an educational way for her to learn through play. Like the shapes, the names, the colors, the size, the texture.  Use your routines as a way to teach. Meal times are another time for fun and learning.  Talk with her about all she knows so what she does know will be reinforced in her memory.  If you feel like she is really ready for a routine, then set on up and see how she reacts. The best thing about homeschooling is you have the flexability to change up whatever whenever you need to based on what the family's needs are. And if you feel like you need some inspiration and or support, well, that is what we are here for. This is truly a great place for that and for finding resources and for just coming here and enjoying yourself.   :)    

undefined

romacox
by Silver Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 7:00 AM

I get many questions like yours, because I am a home school workshop leader.  As a result, I put together a free website page to answer the most common questions:  How To Home School

carolinamommy3
by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Quoting NightSky1701:

Hi Ladies! I haven't actually taken the plunge yet but I have made my decision. I want to take my 6 year old daughter out of public school (she is in Kindergarten) and homeschool her. I think it is the best choice for our family. I am feeling a little overwhelmed, however, with where I should start. I have researched the legal side of it and know how to handle that part but I am having difficulty with where I should start on a curriculum. Can you guys please give a newbie some pointers? Who does charter schools and how do you feel about it? Who does their own curriculum and where do you get it, cost, etc? What would you recommend?

I just felt that the best place to look for information would be from other moms with experience. Thanks in advance! I appreciate any help you can offer!

carolinamommy3
by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Hi I am also in South Caroline and plan on taking my 7 year old son out after Christmas break. I would love to know what you have decided. Did you join a co-op? Also what organization did you join? I am still trying to figure everything out so that I can begin in January. I am in the upstate and there are tons of options! I am still trying to figure out which curriculum we will use. I have 5 year old twins that will be homeschooled as well. What did you end up doing on the legal side? Thanks, sorry for all the questions! ;)

NightSky1701
by New Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Thank you for all the great suggestions. Im wading through it and have found a ton of things I like. I feel 100% less overwhelmed than I did this time yesterday! Thanks again!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Oct. 16, 2012 at 1:41 PM
Fist, Welcome to the group! Once you have a handle on your states laws, then I'd start talking with and observing your child. What type of learning gets them excited, what type makes them drag their feet. What subjects do they fly through, what subjects are a bit more of a struggle, etc. this will be the best guide.

Cost is really about personal choice. I HS my 2 boys, and don't spend more than $100/year for BOTH (together). We use a lot of technology, so apps on the iPad, Reading Eggs, khan academy, etc.

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 7:08 PM

I am also in the upstate. I'll post more when I get back to the Mac.

ETA: Cool beans. I'm back on the mac instead of typing on that drated cell phone. Lol.

The upstate is incredibly homeschool friendly. The zoo, the skating rinks, and several other venues have homeschool days.

If you choose a virtual program through the state, you do not need to register as a homeschooler; technically you are a public schooler so that would have handled as just a transfer. You have, I believe, 3 options for free public virtual academies in South Carolina - K12, Connections, and Calvert. All come with a teacher to oversee the work, all supplies necessary (though SC does not provide a computer like some other states do), etc. You are accountable to the state and subject to all standards and deadlines that the normal public schoolers are subject to (including standardized tests). I can't speak for virtual programs beyond that; we are "third option" homeschoolers (the most popular option for homeschooling here) - we register as a private homeschool family with an accountability association (required by SC state law). Beyond that, third option homeschoolers have very little to account for - no standardized testing, nothing. We do, however, as third option homeschoolers, have to pay for everything ourselves (which I'm fine with - the less interference, the better).

We belong to the accountability association Our Lady of Perpetual Help (it is a Catholic association but they allow non-Catholics to use their services). The cost is $30 before August, $40 after. Other than that, we also belong to a Catholic co-op that meets every other Friday; like most co-ops in the area, they offer play dates, academic classes, and general support. An example of a friday in our co-op: everyone attends the noon Latin Mass, has lunch together, and then heads to their classes (we are blessed with a parish that allows us to use their facilities).

You have several co-op options local to the Upstate. There are two Catholic co-ops and several protestant co-ops (I'm not aware of any secular co-ops, just an fyi).

We use an eclectic mix of Catholic and secular materials (textbooks, worktexts, etc). You can buy your curriculum from anyone. Google "homeschool curriuclum" and you will find a wealth of information. Check out Cathy Duffy's Homeschool Reviews and that could help you get started sorting through your child's learning style and the different curriculum choices.

Quoting carolinamommy3:

Hi I am also in South Caroline and plan on taking my 7 year old son out after Christmas break. I would love to know what you have decided. Did you join a co-op? Also what organization did you join? I am still trying to figure everything out so that I can begin in January. I am in the upstate and there are tons of options! I am still trying to figure out which curriculum we will use. I have 5 year old twins that will be homeschooled as well. What did you end up doing on the legal side? Thanks, sorry for all the questions! ;)

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my place, as a woman, is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of our home.             Aimee

NightSky1701
by New Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I am also in the upstate. I'll post more when I get back to the Mac.

YAY!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)