Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Need book referrals (sonlight users, especially)

Posted by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 2:19 PM
  • 8 Replies
We are in Age Of Discovery...
I need some good historical fiction (or non-fiction if it's interesting to young kids & doesn't read like a textbook) related to this time in our history. I want to especially focus on the puritans & pilgrims, Columbus' voyage, Native Americans, settlements of the 13 colonies and so on...

Any referrals you've got would be great.

(I figured Sonlight users would have some suggestions.)

I hate to say the ages of my kids (6 &4), because then folks tend to recommend only little kid books.
My youngest would read the little kid books, and they'd be appreciated, but I was actually looking for a few books geared toward a higher grade level.

Thanks for all your help and advice!
by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 2:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
coala
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2012 at 3:23 PM

We are not Sonlight users.  However, we happened to check a book out of the library today called "Why We Have Thanksgiving".  It is written by a retired 1st grade teacher, Margaret Hillert.  I read the book and there is a sentence or 2 that I just don't agree with.  My 4 yo who is reading on a 1st grade level will enjoy reading this b/c it has a bunch of sight words in it.  I am sorry that I don't have any other suggestions for you.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 17, 2012 at 4:41 PM

I have not read these, but I've heard good things about them:

George vs. George by Schanzer.  It's the story of the Revolution told from both sides.

Colonial Days by David King.  It's the things that kids did in the colonial days, like the games they played and making maple syrup, etc.

And you might try History Pockets.  They are for slightly older kids, I used them for some middle schoolers who had reading problems and behavioral issues.  There are all kinds of different ones, Native Americans, Colonial days, etc.

Good luck!

tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Oct. 17, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Have you considered going to the Sonlight site and checking the core with that time period in it? They list all the books on their site. Then you can just pick and choose which ones would be helpful for you. :)
I love Sonlight! But we can't afford it, but I frequently use their book lists as cheat sheets ;)
Jlee4249
by Member on Oct. 17, 2012 at 10:53 PM
Thank you!!! I'm heading to the library tomorrow! :)
mem82
by Platinum Member on Oct. 18, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Maybe one of the Magic Treehouse books?

lifesadream83
by on Oct. 18, 2012 at 10:35 AM

This woman arranged all the sonlight books in chronological order for a classical study.  So here is a good starting point they are even arranged by grade level.  

We use sonlight but we are using B+C core this year which is World History.  I recommend sticking with books that are listed in the 1-4 grade level as even if you want more depth than what your getting with little kid books your kids may not sit long enough to get through a chapter and they may not understand things that are written for higher than 4th grade at this age.  One other thing to consider is that sonlight takes into consideration the age that the child is emotionally ready to deal with certain topics.  So there are higher reading level books  in the lower age groups usually read alouds, and there are lower level reading books at the upper age groups if they contain information (more descriptive of topics such as slavery & other topics that younger children may not be developmentally ready for).  

http://homescool-ed.blogspot.com/2007/04/sonlight-books-arranged-by-well-trained.html

MessedUpMama
by Member on Oct. 18, 2012 at 9:27 PM

I read  "Our America ... The Pilgrim Adventure"  by Susan Kilbride recently, I would recommend it for learning about the Mayflower and the first year or so in the new world. It may be a little advanced for your kids to read on their own, but you could read it to them and I think it would be just fine.

I haven't read them yet but I've heard that "America The Story of Us" that the History Chanel put out is pretty good. There are videos as well as books. I think they are more regular history, so they might be a bit dry at some places.

Jlee4249
by Member on Oct. 19, 2012 at 2:59 AM
Loving these ideas. Thank you!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN