Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I'm not talking about the artform either.   I'm talking about living a minimalist lifestyle.

As one-income homes, we all live SOME form of minimalism.   Our income and, therefore, our budgets are smaller.

However, I'm curious, are you a minimalist by choice or by necessity?   Do you find yourself accepting every bag of unwanted items that people send your way out of nicities, or is that like Christmas to you?   Do you LOVE pouring over the "treasures" that you might find among someone's trash?  

Maybe you earn plenty of extra cash, but just hate having too much stuff, so you live a minimalist lifestyle on a kings budget?  (wish we all could do that!)

Are you sometimes bothered by not being able to provide some things you'd like to for your kids?   When the two income household next door has a swimming pool, video games galore, four wheelers, trampolines, etc...  do you wish you lived somewhere else???

by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 12:58 PM
Replies (11-20):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 25, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Quoting Precious333:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

you sound similar to us, excpet DH has a low paying job! We are a family of 5 in a 900 squarfoot house, or something like that! lol We do cloth everything (excpet TP). The only thing we have is computer (just recently got TV with it), and cell phones.

Right now dh doesn't have any job, and boy are we feeling it, but it makes me even more glad for our small house :-)

We do cloth everything :-)

Precious333
by Julia on Oct. 25, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting Precious333:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

you sound similar to us, excpet DH has a low paying job! We are a family of 5 in a 900 squarfoot house, or something like that! lol We do cloth everything (excpet TP). The only thing we have is computer (just recently got TV with it), and cell phones.

Right now dh doesn't have any job, and boy are we feeling it, but it makes me even more glad for our small house :-)

oh no! I hope he finds a job soon! I bet doing cloth has really saved you! I know it has for us!

juliakf333. Get yours at bighugelabs.com
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Oct. 25, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Quoting Precious333:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting Precious333:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

oh no! I hope he finds a job soon! I bet doing cloth has really saved you! I know it has for us!

Thanks!  He has an interview on the phone tomorrow morning, so keepin my fingers crossed.

Yes it has! It seemed like when we potty trained our oldest he tried to use an entire roll everytime he used the potty!  It's much nicer now.

black.eyeliner
by on Oct. 25, 2012 at 6:05 PM

I was a minimalist for years. I am gypsy and our trailer only held so much. My mother had a way of making everything fit and still have the place be beautiful. That meant she had to have only what was absolutely necessary. 

My partner is a wonderful man whose family has saved so much over multiple generations. I have paintings in the basement that are 300 years old. All of our furniture is at least 150 years old and most hand crafted by a family member. I use antique china cabinets to hold craft supplies in my studio. Hope chests are over flowing with yarn and fabric. 

I only have what we need but it is still a lot since I am professional artist and I need many supplies. I clear the house constantly of what we don't need but I can not imagine getting rid of the history that we have in the furniture, art, and photos. It is so important to me to have our family cradle, their great-grandmothers sewing table, and the prayer shawl their great-great-grandfather brought home to his bride during a war.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Oct. 25, 2012 at 9:47 PM
We recently switched to cloth tp for us girls (I have 3 daughters. The to consumption was insane) for pee only. It is so nice, and saves SO MUCH toilet paper.

Quoting Precious333:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Good question!

I would say we are minimalist by choice.  Hubby is an electrical engineer so when he has a job we make very good money.  We have a very small house (less than 1500 sq ft for our family of 5) with 2 VERY small bedrooms.  When we were building it I was told we would never be able to sell it because it is so small.  Friends told us we could afford a bigger house (yeah, with a bigger mortgage :-P) but I kept saying: then I'd have to clean it! 

We have no cell phone, no kindle, and for a long time we had no computer!  I hear all the time how we would be better off with all that stuff, but then we'd never have peace!  When we come home from biking or shopping or whatever there is almost always a message or 2 on the machine, if we had a cell phone I know we would be as addicted as all the others we see talking on it instead of to the person they are with.  I'm so glad not to have that distraction.

We put our extra money on our mortgage, so in another 6 years, we should be debt free (God willing).  That means a whole lot more to us than other material goods.  It means that hubby can stop working long stressful hours and we can live off our land like we've always wanted! 

We used nondisposable diapers, we use nope-kins, unpaper-towels, reusable sandwich bags, nondisposable pads, and all those other things that make people qo all squidgy when we mention them.

We pieced together our solar power system and now produce all our own power.  We just like being self-reliant.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Oct. 25, 2012 at 9:48 PM
How amazing! You should share pictures!

Quoting black.eyeliner:

I was a minimalist for years. I am gypsy and our trailer only held so much. My mother had a way of making everything fit and still have the place be beautiful. That meant she had to have only what was absolutely necessary. 

My partner is a wonderful man whose family has saved so much over multiple generations. I have paintings in the basement that are 300 years old. All of our furniture is at least 150 years old and most hand crafted by a family member. I use antique china cabinets to hold craft supplies in my studio. Hope chests are over flowing with yarn and fabric. 

I only have what we need but it is still a lot since I am professional artist and I need many supplies. I clear the house constantly of what we don't need but I can not imagine getting rid of the history that we have in the furniture, art, and photos. It is so important to me to have our family cradle, their great-grandmothers sewing table, and the prayer shawl their great-great-grandfather brought home to his bride during a war.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
m0mmyheather
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 7:55 AM
I live nowhere close to a minimalist lifestyle. I grew up spoiled, and I love to buy, buy, buy. Obviously I'm not neglecting the things we need, but I have a lot of extras.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SusanTheWriter
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 8:22 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm a minimalist by nature - except for books. My dh and my mom like decorating with tchotchkes and knicknacks and it drives me crazy. Visual clutter is hell on my ADD.

I keep trying to get rid of stuff all the time, but I swear pixies bring in more while I sleep. Stinkin' pixies.

My DS prefers a clean line, but my DD, the artist, has all kinds of random bits all over her room.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Oct. 26, 2012 at 10:46 AM

I'm working really hard towards a more minimalist lifestyle.  Small apartment, constant decluttering, I work part-time so we can one day be 100% debt-free, 90% of meals are cooked at home (used to be about 60%), I'm a frugal shopper, and we don't buy new large items until the old ones are totally unusable (furniture, cars, electronics, appliances, etc).  Home decor is fairly minimal, we try not to buy many things for convenience, and I always try to get dh and the kids to make do with what we have.  

Of course, having 2 teenage girls and a gamer son makes minimalism difficult, but I think they're all starting to realize the value of a dollar and that we really don't need so much "stuff" in our lives.

The more minimal the better for me.  It gives me a sense of peace and that my life is under control.

CleanAir1
by on Oct. 26, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Would you post more information about your solar system.  I'd really like to be able to get my well and maybe some other appliances "off the grid."  Thanks

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN