Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How do you know if your doing it "right"?

Posted by   + Show Post

Sorry this is long, but I am really scared of ruining my child's education.

To be honest, I always said that I would never homeschool my children because I wanted them smarter than me and I felt that if I didn't know it, how could I teach it?  So here I am, homeschooling my daughter (she has selective mutism and social phobia).  We can not afford a paid curriculum, not even a second hand one, so I have done all my research on the internet and have all subjects bookmarked and worksheets are printed on Sunday to be ready for the following week.  I feel organized with my planner and workbooks that we got from when she was in public schools and her older sisters old workbooks. But to be honest, I am scared to death. She is advanced in Math (she is a 5th grader and she is doing Algebra and not having a hard time with it), she doesn't like to read, but I make her and she actually does very well with grammar and writing. Her state tests last year were 5's which were the highest grade.

I am so scared that instead of moving forward, she is just going to stay where she is.  I don't know where she should be in a month, by the end of the year.  I don't know how to determine if what I am doing is working.  I have a few people around me that homeschool their children too, but they do the "paid" curriculum and their kids LOVE reading, and they are well educated parents (I graduated high school barely with "c's".)I have people watching me and I feel like they are watching me waiting for me to fail.

So here is the biggest question.  How do you know that your doing it right?  How do I know what to teach her in Science or Social Studies?  Those are probably the two subjects I have the most problems with.  To be honest, I don't like Social Studies at all, but am learning with my daughter and I love Science, but I love the experiments, not the learning part (guess that is the kid in me).

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Leigh

by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 6:20 AM
Replies (11-17):
WildatHeart918
by Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 11:49 AM

I love the "What your ____ needs to know" series, it keeps me aware of guidelines for learning and is available at most libraries. They have fifth and sixth grade editions.

downsouthjunkin
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Check out Rebecca Rupp's book Home Learning Year by Year. It will give you excellent guidelines for each grade. She homeschooled her three sons for over ten years. I agree with mem, we all feel like you do sometimes.

usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 6, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Quoting mem82:

You can do this!

Everyone feels the way you do sometimes. 8)

I was going to say this too!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Nov. 6, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Everyone has given you very great advice!  So I just want to say, relax and enjoy your daughter and you will both do well.  :-)

nancysyt
by on Nov. 6, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Fear is a fairly normal experience for homeschooling parents, especially conscientious ones.  From everything that you are saying here, it appears to me that you are a caring and self-aware/self-examining homeschooling parent.  That in itself tells me that your child will do well in your care.  I am done homeschooling now, and my son has since successfully graduated from one of the top colleges in the country for both his undergraduate and graduate degrees.  Throughout my homeschooling experience I knew fear as well... so I read Ed Hershey's books to keep myself aware and I tried to keep his knowledge level a grade or two above what was typical for his age.  But more than anything I learned with him and really enjoyed doing that.  

During all of this I was not a college graduate.  I went back to college when my son entered college, and when he went to graduate school, I too went to graduate school.  He was in law school and I was earning a Masters in education.  Now we both have graduate degrees.  I loved homeschooling because it offered me a chance to learn... so that I could in turn teach him!

Nancy
www.teachthemhowtofish.com
leighp1
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 5:46 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you so much for your kind words.  One thing you said, was you learned with your son.  That is what I tell my daughter when we do something that she nor I understand.  I explain that I am learning right along with her.  I think sometimes that helps her try to enjoy it more.  She is so bright and I do worry about her future, suffering with SM and Social Phobia, but I try not to project that onto her.  I keep telling her that she can do anything she puts her mind to and I truly believe that (it just may take more than it would for others)

On a side note, I went to Amazon and read about your book.  I plan on putting that on my wish list for Christmas.

Thank you again.

Quoting nancysyt:

Fear is a fairly normal experience for homeschooling parents, especially conscientious ones.  From everything that you are saying here, it appears to me that you are a caring and self-aware/self-examining homeschooling parent.  That in itself tells me that your child will do well in your care.  I am done homeschooling now, and my son has since successfully graduated from one of the top colleges in the country for both his undergraduate and graduate degrees.  Throughout my homeschooling experience I knew fear as well... so I read Ed Hershey's books to keep myself aware and I tried to keep his knowledge level a grade or two above what was typical for his age.  But more than anything I learned with him and really enjoyed doing that.  

During all of this I was not a college graduate.  I went back to college when my son entered college, and when he went to graduate school, I too went to graduate school.  He was in law school and I was earning a Masters in education.  Now we both have graduate degrees.  I loved homeschooling because it offered me a chance to learn... so that I could in turn teach him!

nancysyt
by on Nov. 7, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Thank you, Leigh!

I wouldn't be surprised at all if you should discover great gifts while conquering the challenges.  

Nancy

Nancy
www.teachthemhowtofish.com
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)