Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Helping my son.

Posted by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 10:37 PM
  • 13 Replies

I have been helping my son with his work, and I noticed when he is "under pressure" ( doing homework) he has a hard time, but when I play learning games for him he knows what to do and has no problem. When Im teaching him his work should make it like a game or does it have to be serious? I know it may sound dumb but I'm new to this.   =)

by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 10:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 8, 2012 at 10:57 PM
2 moms liked this

I believe that all learning should be fun & engaging for the child. So if he dose better with games & play then get creative & let the fun begin.

coala
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 8:16 AM
1 mom liked this

You need to teach to his strengths.  If he learns better from playing games and making it fun then that is what you need to do.  I have one that is very hands on.  I have to make as much available to her so that it can be fun for her.  I have one who thrives with intense one-on-one help and not so much hands on.  Homeschooling is all about doing what works best for each child.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Especially when they are young, make if fun. They have plenty of time to do the serious type learning when they are older.

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Nov. 9, 2012 at 11:17 AM

IMO it does not matter how you get there as long as the end result is the same.  There is a lot of research that proves engaging both the right and left brain(as is done with learning games) is a more productive way to learn. 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 11:45 AM

I agree!

Quoting irvinehiker:

IMO it does not matter how you get there as long as the end result is the same.  There is a lot of research that proves engaging both the right and left brain(as is done with learning games) is a more productive way to learn. 

oredeb
by on Nov. 9, 2012 at 12:32 PM
1 mom liked this

fun!!!! have fun!!!!

if anyone here is having a hard time learning what im teaching i try to find a better way to teach it!

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 12:41 PM

I believe a kid needs to learn to produce the work, but it doesn't have to be grueling or unpleasant.

motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 1:10 PM

That is how I do my son everything have to some kind of movement game. That is the way I teach we are doing fractions and we are at a store or somewhere like that. Like for Language Arts this week we played Adjective Bingo, Adjective Scramble, Adjective Jeopardy. Then they had they're Unit Test they both got 100%. I thought you could not either until last year. 

romacox
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2012 at 4:41 PM
1 mom liked this

The traditional method teaches to the left brain only.  But by physically involving the children in the learning process (games and real life experiences) you are teaching to the whole brain (Total Physical Response).  studies show  , they learn faster, retain more, and drop out rates decrease by 90%. This is particularly true with Hands On Learners.    Dr Aman has done some amazing brain scan research, and has found that this method of teaching even strengthens the brain. 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 9, 2012 at 7:00 PM
1 mom liked this

You should always try and make learning as enjoyable, as exciting, as fun as you can possibly make it, but sometimes you just have to use a little seriousness for the information to be processed and learned.  If he learns from play best right now, then let him.  As he gets older, you can add a little more seriousness a little bit at a time.  Until he reaches the age at which he is able to do the type of work  that is more indepth and serious.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN