Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

If money were no object, how would you turn your kitchen into the ultimate mom hangout?

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:47 AM
  • 9 Replies

Moms Spend 3 Years of Their Lives in the Kitchen But Maybe That's a Good Thing

Posted by Adriana Velez on November 14, 2012 

kitchenMoms, ladies, women-folk, did you know you'll be spending about three years of your adult life in the kitchen? So says a new study. That's over eight hours a week preparing meals for your family. I know what you're thinking: Tell me something I don't already know. You're thinking this while you read this post on your smartphone while stirring that pot of chili while your hungry family pounds their forks and knives on the table.

But you know what? Chicken butt. I can think of worse places to spend three years of my life. I actually like being in the kitchen. It's where the FOOD is. The surprising thing about the study is that we're not just working our darn fingers to the bone the whole time we're there. We're also just hanging out, watching TV, or socializing. Really. In fact, I wonder if the kitchen is the woman's equivalent of the Man Cave?

Think about it -- if you want to escape the kids and the husband with his football games, where else would you go? The bathroom -- yeah, I know, Calgon take me away. But also there is the kitchen. You probably have some chairs there, a table, some good smells (hopefully), some tea or coffee, some cookies perhaps. Or some chicken wings.

It kind of makes me think maybe we should treat the kitchen as our Woman Cave and really make it comfortable -- the way a man would. Like, shouldn't there be an overstuffed chair with an ottoman that are both just perfect for your height? What about a flat-screen TV with Internet access, so you can watch your shows and look up a recipe at the same time?

Then again, if you made it too comfortable, men might want to start hanging out there, too. And they might start cooking more often, and doing the dishes. And ... hey, I think this Woman Cave idea is starting to look better and better.

If money were no object, how would you turn your kitchen into the ultimate mom hangout?

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
GoddessAnna
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:52 AM
My craft room is my cave. However, my dream kitchen would have a pantry the size of my kitchen now, for starters. It would also be all from Ikea - I've been designing there for years!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WantedNameTaken
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:32 AM

No way would I make the kitchen my hangout!  My family room serves that purpose.  It's all mine (DH has the living room), so I don't have to share a remote, can decorate any way I want, and don't have to worry about messes.   I need separation between imagery that says "relaxing" vs. imagery that says "chores".

I would not want to spend my spare time in the kitchen sitting in hard chairs and looking at dishes.  Nor would I want to worry about the potential for stains on my soft-surface furniture if I shoved a sofa into my kitchen.  Give me my comfy sofa, warm/soft blanket, fire in the fireplace on cold days, and remote and I'm good - in the family room!

Finally, what about kids?  Would a sacred kitchen then become off-limits to children, because of its museum-like state?

usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:10 PM

I would much rather my mom room not be the kitchen.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:40 PM
I have my sewing room also, but if I could vamp up the kitchen id make it big, lots of counterspace, more cabinets and drawers than I need, and a huge organized pantry. Fresh flowers on the counter all the time, no plastic dishes.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:03 PM

I love this idea! I would make my kitchen just like I make my bedroom. lol Maybe I should tell you how I have my bedroom set up.  I have our bed in the center wall where I can put a table or shelf of some kind on either side. On my side my shelf of sorts is a mini old motel refridgerator with a mini microwave on top. I have a floor lamp that sits in between my bed & fridge for reading at night. We have a tv in a corner where both of us can watch whatever..shows on tv, dvd's, tapes.  Yes, I am very spoiled. So, I would do something similar with the kitchen. Except maybe with a few more people in mind.  There would be a tv and internet for sure. And lots and lots of space and all the appliances I could desire to make what I wanted whenever I wanted.  In our family my bedroom and the kitchen are the family rooms. Its where all of us feel most comfortable. lol  I  would  spend more time in the kitchen if I had the equipment that I need to cook/bake with.  Also, in our family, there is always someone who thinks they have some new idea on some type of food that needs to be cooked or baked.  :)  I think the only time one of us is NOT in the kitchen is when we are asleep. lol  

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Hmm, I think I'd add a reading nook in the corner, that way, while something is simmering, I can curl up w/ my kindle or iPad and read or hit CM! I would also have a cable/Internet connected tv so I could watch all the documentaries (&Bavo!) I wanted . Ahhh, what a nice idea! To me the kitchen has always bee the heart of a home, when entertaining it seems we always congregate in there, so I'd wat it comfy, but relaxed and approachable maybe with an equally equipped children's reading nook!

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Nov. 19, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Lol, this is why I could never hang out in the bathroom, it would just prompt me to clean more!lol

Quoting WantedNameTaken:

No way would I make the kitchen my hangout!  My family room serves that purpose.  It's all mine (DH has the living room), so I don't have to share a remote, can decorate any way I want, and don't have to worry about messes.   I need separation between imagery that says "relaxing" vs. imagery that says "chores".

I would not want to spend my spare time in the kitchen sitting in hard chairs and looking at dishes.  Nor would I want to worry about the potential for stains on my soft-surface furniture if I shoved a sofa into my kitchen.  Give me my comfy sofa, warm/soft blanket, fire in the fireplace on cold days, and remote and I'm good - in the family room!

Finally, what about kids?  Would a sacred kitchen then become off-limits to children, because of it's museum-like state?

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Other than getting a hired hand to CLEAN it?  I would have nothing different!  I love my huge kitchen!

oredeb
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 10:51 AM

oh that'd be great!!

i'd put windows all around the kitchen, so i could see into the back yard,(nice view of the garden) i'd paint all my cupboards white, take off all the cupboard doors(leaving them open, paint my walls white (my floor is already done), id open the kitchen up even more than it is more counter space, the counter would be cement , no doors on any of the cupboards top or bottom, put in a desk for the computer, add some   bookshelves, make the dining room into a nice pantry with my freezer and tables and shelves in it, places for the kitchen aide, meat cutter, etc, there'd be a nice cozy chair so i can sit and read looking out the window, (the kitchen is on second floor so it looks over everything) also i'd move the door to go out on my deck in the middle of kitchen easier to get to the bbq, also have shelves put out there on the deck(its part of the kitchen, i cook out there just as much as in the house) i'd have a better stove put in, put frig(walk in frig) in pantry, a pot hanger up on the ceiling, bigger knife rack, some stools for the counter, have my laundry room built next to my pantry 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)