Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When you say that you spend less than $300 to hs....

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 8:39 AM
  • 45 Replies

Are you just counting the curriculum materials and books?  Or is that everything (paper, crayons, pencils, markers, the whole nine yards)?  I often spend that much on just the materials!!  :-)  So I was wondering!  If it is everything Tell me your secrets!!  LOL!

by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 8:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:01 AM
2 moms liked this

It is EVERYTHING,  I'm super frugal, overly organized and plan well in advance. The secret to spending very little on anything - grocies, school, etc, is to not HAVE to buy anything out of necessity, that way you can purchase only when you find great deals. I purchase all my office supplies - crayons, pencils, erasers, paper, etc - in July & August at the dollar store and Walmart, when everything is less than $1 each. If I see a book I think the kids would love I search trading sites - Freecycle, Craigslist, eBay, paperbackswap, etc. I refuse to pay for more than 1-2 educational sites/year. So they have to be less than $75 combined for the year. I usually do one printable site like teachervision.fen or teachers worksheets.com. 

For curriculum, I don't use it unless I can get it through trade. I mostly rely on apps on the iPad and kindle fire which costs way less than $5 each. We do NOT purchase useful members ps, and all of our fairs (science & geography) are usually purchased by family as birthday/holiday gifts. Same with science equipment, expensive textbooks, etc. my boys almost exclusively ask for educational things for gifts...lol..

finally, if there is a specific curriculum or material the kids want to learn, and it is too expensive to ask as a gift, then I usually offer it as a class at our co-op, so that it doesn't cost me anything our of pocket....Oh, and I have never paid anything for our 2 co-ops because I always teach and charge a small fee (because of my background as an engineer with degrees in physics and geology) which covers the co-op costs.

So all in total - I usually budget $100-$150 to HS my 2 boys/year. 

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:07 AM

Golly, NOT ME. Lol. I love curriculum. Complete addict. But I can easily see how someone does it in lower elementary. Even if you just buy the Well Trained Mind recs - you could easily do a bare bones (math, science, history, english) curriculum with the trimmings for that amount.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my place, as a woman, is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of our home.             Aimee

mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:07 AM

For me, it counts everything. Our biggest expense is our gym class which is $55 every 6 weeks, minus a few breaks in between classes and the holidays. It comes to about $250 by Spring. I spend maybe $150 or so on everything else.

GoddessAnna
by Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:14 AM
I make up my own curriculum. I use my old college textbooks, library books, the internet and my own mind. I have always bought school supplies on clearance and have stockpiled for years.

We did buy my daughter a tablet for about $200, but she was probably going to get one anyway. We do have a family membership for the aquarium in Baltimore, which also covers my non-homeschooled children; that was $175. My inlaws have offered to chip in for that. Otherwise, I've spent nothing out of pocket this year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coala
by Silver Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:05 AM

If you build your own curric you could easily get away with spening that or less.  We choose to use a boxed curric so our expense is higer in that department.  For supplies this year alone I think it was nearly $100.  I had to buy a bunch of binders and folders.  These are something that will be around for awhile so that will pay off in the long run.  I also buy a bunch of stuff at the dollar store and get crayons and such on clearnance.  It is totally doable.

oredeb
by debbie on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:59 AM

mines less than 300 every year, ive never spent 300 on curr and that includes everything!

i use math books ive used for years(got them free about 20 yrs ago, a school was changing math books, saxon

my english ive had for years or most of it, abeka  and rod and staff, bju, i either traded for it or bought used or got free

as for the rest i make up my own unit studies, and use library, internet, used books trade for books

school supplies, i get on sale during august or sept, go to yard sales, thrift sales, salvation army, goodwill

BramblePatch
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:03 PM
I spent $600 or two kids on Oak Meadow and supplies. I sold it recently (because it was not working) for $375. I bought new curriculum for both from Hearts at Home and CBD for $210 and I have all the supplies already.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:34 PM

We use a charter school so they pay for all ourcurriculum - I admit I'm spoiled there...I ask..it appears :)

I Don't spend morethan $200 in "supplies" a year. My biggest expense is printer ink because I print weekly assignment sheets (x3) and then monthly reports for the kids that I turn in to the school. So far, I've gone through two $18 ink cartridges. owever, my printer just died so I need to get a new one :( I'm hoping I can find one that takes the same ink because I bouht a two pack last time!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Man you guys are my heroes!  I spent over 300 on my supplies this year, although that does include 3 magnetic white boards, a wipe off world map (those will last a few years, LOL), and 3 ink cartridges and a roll of "make a story" paper. 

For curriculum I bought abcmouse.com for my pre-k.  Everything else is through the cyber- school, but I don't think I'll be using them next year. 

Anyone know some cheap sites like reading eggs, abcmouse, jumpstart?  I'll have kinder, 1st, and 3rd/4th graders next year.

acrogodess
by Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 1:00 PM
Everything: workbooks, textbooks, notebooks, art stuff, bus fare for field trips, basketball class at local YMCA, pens and pencils
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)