Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When you say that you spend less than $300 to hs....

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 8:39 AM
  • 45 Replies

Are you just counting the curriculum materials and books?  Or is that everything (paper, crayons, pencils, markers, the whole nine yards)?  I often spend that much on just the materials!!  :-)  So I was wondering!  If it is everything Tell me your secrets!!  LOL!

by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 8:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:01 AM
2 moms liked this

It is EVERYTHING,  I'm super frugal, overly organized and plan well in advance. The secret to spending very little on anything - grocies, school, etc, is to not HAVE to buy anything out of necessity, that way you can purchase only when you find great deals. I purchase all my office supplies - crayons, pencils, erasers, paper, etc - in July & August at the dollar store and Walmart, when everything is less than $1 each. If I see a book I think the kids would love I search trading sites - Freecycle, Craigslist, eBay, paperbackswap, etc. I refuse to pay for more than 1-2 educational sites/year. So they have to be less than $75 combined for the year. I usually do one printable site like teachervision.fen or teachers 

For curriculum, I don't use it unless I can get it through trade. I mostly rely on apps on the iPad and kindle fire which costs way less than $5 each. We do NOT purchase useful members ps, and all of our fairs (science & geography) are usually purchased by family as birthday/holiday gifts. Same with science equipment, expensive textbooks, etc. my boys almost exclusively ask for educational things for

finally, if there is a specific curriculum or material the kids want to learn, and it is too expensive to ask as a gift, then I usually offer it as a class at our co-op, so that it doesn't cost me anything our of pocket....Oh, and I have never paid anything for our 2 co-ops because I always teach and charge a small fee (because of my background as an engineer with degrees in physics and geology) which covers the co-op costs.

So all in total - I usually budget $100-$150 to HS my 2 boys/year. 

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

by Silver Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:07 AM

Golly, NOT ME. Lol. I love curriculum. Complete addict. But I can easily see how someone does it in lower elementary. Even if you just buy the Well Trained Mind recs - you could easily do a bare bones (math, science, history, english) curriculum with the trimmings for that amount.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my place, as a woman, is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of our home.             Aimee

by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:07 AM

For me, it counts everything. Our biggest expense is our gym class which is $55 every 6 weeks, minus a few breaks in between classes and the holidays. It comes to about $250 by Spring. I spend maybe $150 or so on everything else.

by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:14 AM
I make up my own curriculum. I use my old college textbooks, library books, the internet and my own mind. I have always bought school supplies on clearance and have stockpiled for years.

We did buy my daughter a tablet for about $200, but she was probably going to get one anyway. We do have a family membership for the aquarium in Baltimore, which also covers my non-homeschooled children; that was $175. My inlaws have offered to chip in for that. Otherwise, I've spent nothing out of pocket this year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by Gold Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:05 AM

If you build your own curric you could easily get away with spening that or less.  We choose to use a boxed curric so our expense is higer in that department.  For supplies this year alone I think it was nearly $100.  I had to buy a bunch of binders and folders.  These are something that will be around for awhile so that will pay off in the long run.  I also buy a bunch of stuff at the dollar store and get crayons and such on clearnance.  It is totally doable.

by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 10:59 AM

mines less than 300 every year, ive never spent 300 on curr and that includes everything!

i use math books ive used for years(got them free about 20 yrs ago, a school was changing math books, saxon

my english ive had for years or most of it, abeka  and rod and staff, bju, i either traded for it or bought used or got free

as for the rest i make up my own unit studies, and use library, internet, used books trade for books

school supplies, i get on sale during august or sept, go to yard sales, thrift sales, salvation army, goodwill

by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:03 PM
I spent $600 or two kids on Oak Meadow and supplies. I sold it recently (because it was not working) for $375. I bought new curriculum for both from Hearts at Home and CBD for $210 and I have all the supplies already.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by Jinx on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:34 PM

We use a charter school so they pay for all ourcurriculum - I admit I'm spoiled there...I appears :)

I Don't spend morethan $200 in "supplies" a year. My biggest expense is printer ink because I print weekly assignment sheets (x3) and then monthly reports for the kids that I turn in to the school. So far, I've gone through two $18 ink cartridges. owever, my printer just died so I need to get a new one :( I'm hoping I can find one that takes the same ink because I bouht a two pack last time!

by Group Admin on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Man you guys are my heroes!  I spent over 300 on my supplies this year, although that does include 3 magnetic white boards, a wipe off world map (those will last a few years, LOL), and 3 ink cartridges and a roll of "make a story" paper. 

For curriculum I bought for my pre-k.  Everything else is through the cyber- school, but I don't think I'll be using them next year. 

Anyone know some cheap sites like reading eggs, abcmouse, jumpstart?  I'll have kinder, 1st, and 3rd/4th graders next year.

by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 1:00 PM
Everything: workbooks, textbooks, notebooks, art stuff, bus fare for field trips, basketball class at local YMCA, pens and pencils
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN