Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I think I made an oops

Posted by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:23 AM
  • 16 Replies
So I'm out on the road with my husband as he is a trucker and I hardly ever get to see him. I left my dd with my mother. For months I have been showing my mother how to do the schooling. How to read the teacher books, how to find the correct worksheet pages in the workbooks. Everything you could think of. I even left a lesson guide for her. She calls me daily during school time upset because she doesn't understand anything and tells me that maybe putting dd back into public school would be better than this. I told her firmly no I am not. Do your best and when I get home I will cover the things you couldn't. I will be home Tuesday by the latest. By now she should have at least finished a three full chapters of science, social studies, reading/language arts. That hasn't been done. However they have covered over half dd's math lessons. Kinda thankful for that because dd gets math now. Yay for that. I know on the other subjects as soon as I get home we can knock it out but OMG. She has barely done any of the other subjects. I'm upset because I feel like I have wasted all this time teaching my mother to sub for me. She promised me she understood it. I'm just a little upset. I have learned my lesson. If I go anywhere with dh for long periods of time I will hire a tutor to come in.

The reason dd isn't with us is because dh's company will not allow anyone under the age of 13 on the truck plus there can only be two at a time period.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Awww ~  Hugs to you. That had to have been difficult. Maybe your mom just got nervous because she was worried about the results of her being the one to "teach" your daughter but her grand-daughter. That would make anyone nervous in so many ways.  The nest thing about homeschooling is you can tweek and adjust as it is called for or needed or just because.  Sounds like your daughter is a quick study and will be able to pick up whatever you think she needs to "catch up" on.  You can go as fast or as slow or in between as it suits your family's needs. So there is no need to feel so guilty. You are doing just fine. And yes, that is a promise. :)  

Austinsmom35
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 12:17 PM
It won't take long for y'all to catch up! And you needed that time with your husband, and your daughter got quality time with grandma! Even if it wasn't what you envisioned! Don't stress! Everything will be fine, and next time you know to make other arrangements or have everything pulled and noted so all she has to do is open a notebook!
kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 17, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Good advice. :)  

Quoting Austinsmom35:

It won't take long for y'all to catch up! And you needed that time with your husband, and your daughter got quality time with grandma! Even if it wasn't what you envisioned! Don't stress! Everything will be fine,
and next time you know to make other arrangements or have everything pulled and noted so all she has to do is open a notebook!

undefined

taylamill
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 12:52 PM
I know but the almost daily phone calls of my mother in uder chaos and her bad attitude towards it upsets me. She has even in front of dd said "this homeschooling is bullshit. She needs to be in school." I tell her its not okay to say that in front of dd period. She says sorry. I know she is just overwhelmed with it. Dd says its okay mom at least I understand math now lol

Quoting kirbymom:

Awww ~  Hugs to you. That had to have been difficult. Maybe your mom just got nervous because she was worried about the results of her being the one to "teach" your daughter but her grand-daughter. That would make anyone nervous in so many ways.  The nest thing about homeschooling is you can tweek and adjust as it is called for or needed or just because.  Sounds like your daughter is a quick study and will be able to pick up whatever you think she needs to "catch up" on.  You can go as fast or as slow or in between as it suits your family's needs. So there is no need to feel so guilty. You are doing just fine. And yes, that is a promise. :)  

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 17, 2012 at 1:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, it can be disheartening when your own family is giving you a hard time about it.  You should gently remind your mom that that part of her attitude is one of the reasons why you know that you made the right decision in homeschooling your child.  You will not have your child(ren) exposed to that any more than necessary.

Plus, your daughter is right about  the fact that she can now understand her math. Sometimes not focusing on all subjects is the best thing that could happen to a child when there is difficulty in learning. It will help them to focus on just the difficulty that is causing them to have trouble in the first place. So this is probably a blessing in disguise.   :) 

Quoting taylamill:

I know but the almost daily phone calls of my mother in uder chaos and her bad attitude towards it upsets me. She has even in front of dd said "this homeschooling is bullshit. She needs to be in school." I tell her its not okay to say that in front of dd period. She says sorry. I know she is just overwhelmed with it. Dd says its okay mom at least I understand math now lol

Quoting kirbymom:

undefined

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Nov. 17, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Ack! Well, at least you can catch up fairly easy! Good luck! I know none of my family would be able to cover for me either..lol.

oredeb
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 8:23 PM

maybe she just needs time to get use to the homeschool things, doing it once for the first time is kinda hard! and its something new for her

lifesadream83
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 8:33 PM

My mother homeschooled me for my junior and senior year and my little sisters who are 11 and 12 years younger then me.  I love her to death but I would not entrust my dd's education to her and that is just because of our differences is how we do things.  I would leave dd with a stack of books to read and then I would ask her about them on the phone or when I got back to keep her reading level up and that would be the end of it LOL.  

I think it is great that she tried.  I would be upset about her additude too.  The decision to homeschool or not is not hers to make its yours and just cause she can't handle it doesn't mean that you can't.  She should have been more honest with what she thought she can handle... On the bright side you can slow down in math and catch up with other subjects when you come back :)  

donnadea
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:03 PM

I left my kids with my grandma for a week so I could go visit my oldest daughter and her new baby.

Every thing was written out, exactly what they were supposed to do each day.

She said she would make sure they did it.

When I got back they hadn't done anything, not 1 page of school work?????

Grandma says she decided she didn't want to bother with it and since I was having a vacation they should have had a vacation also. Now this coming week when all of the kids are out of school for thanksgiving holiday and they want to be let off from school work because all their friends are home and want to play, I have to be the big meanie and explain to them that they already had their break from school work and now they have to do school work this week.

I'm sure this will be fun ....

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Oh darn!  That does not sound fun  at all!  I hope things work out for you! :)

Quoting donnadea:

I left my kids with my grandma for a week so I could go visit my oldest daughter and her new baby.

Every thing was written out, exactly what they were supposed to do each day.

She said she would make sure they did it.

When I got back they hadn't done anything, not 1 page of school work?????

Grandma says she decided she didn't want to bother with it and since I was having a vacation they should have had a vacation also. Now this coming week when all of the kids are out of school for thanksgiving holiday and they want to be let off from school work because all their friends are home and want to play, I have to be the big meanie and explain to them that they already had their break from school work and now they have to do school work this week.

I'm sure this will be fun ....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)