Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

If you have a iPad or tablet do you use it for school work

Posted by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 2:56 PM
  • 12 Replies
Especially interested if you use if for 5-7 year olds. I am wondering if one would be a good addition to our class room. What do your kids do on it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 2:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 17, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Ahhh ..  I wish I had one and  I would use it for school too.  :)  

suziejax
by Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Yes I have a Nook Tablet

I downloaded an afforable Econmics class on it for my son, it even has built in quzies and grades them for me! 

I also use it for other things for school as well

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 4:03 PM

I don't have an ipad (I prefer my Mac), but my 11 year old daughter does have an ipad. She does have some math apps on it (Hands on Equations and DragonBox Algebra specifically).

In general, I prefer for her to work from standard, paper and ink, texts and books. The ipad can be used as a supplement to her education, but doesn't hold core materials.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my "place" is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of our home and I *love* my life! (just getting the controversial stuff out of the way!)             Aimee

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Nov. 17, 2012 at 4:17 PM

CONSTANTLY! There are such a variety of apps available, especially for the p-k-4th grade croud! I, personally, recommend the iPad. It is more expensive (though the mini is cheaper) but it has literally hundreds of more apps available that cost less than $8 each! 

MessedUpMama
by Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:20 PM

We have 2 Galaxy tablets, a Kindle, and a Kindle Fire. The kids use them to play some educational games. They read, well DS reads DCG listens or looks at books with lots of pictures. He's 9, she is 5. She has a couple of coloring apps, a drawing app, 2 or 3 memory game apps, a couple alphabet games, and one with kindergarten level math stuff. We downloaded several books for her about some of the things she is interested in, like spiders, and dangerous animals, they have lots of pictures and DS can read them to her which helps his reading skills while he's "helping her". I know that there are lots more out there, we just haven't taken the time to find them yet. In the future we want to get Windows tablets for DH and I, so the Galaxy (Android) tablets will be passed down to the kids on a more full time basis.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:29 PM

I just got a Galaxy Tab 2 and I can tell it's going to be a huge help, especially with my two boys who are very hands on learners.

usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 18, 2012 at 4:49 PM
We use everything for learning especially things like tablets & computers.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Tesserae
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 4:52 PM

We have 2 iPads and, no, we do not use them for school. I use a desktop and laptop for my 2 kids.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:34 PM
Honestly, as much as I love my iPad, no, we don't use it for school much, even though that was the intention. We used it for our spelling, but otherwise there are just educational apps we use here or there. My opinion is, if you can affor and want one, get it! They are awesome! But on the realistic frugal side of me - $300-600 is way more than it would be used for.
Eta: my mom got me mine for my 30th birthday instead of a birthday. Otherwise there is no way I'd ever have purchased one.
If you get one, I HIGHLY recommend a good case. I like my Griffen survivor case (the stand is worthless, but the case is great)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Nov. 18, 2012 at 6:21 PM

I've posted some of my favorite apps over the past year or so....but off the top of my head..

Khan academy,

Painless grammar

Move the turtle (intro to computer programming)

ToonTastic (early story writing) 

Ruckus Readers

NASA

Barefoot atlas (my abso fav! 3-d interactive atlas)

Tap typing.....

I'm sure there are more, I usually get new ones every few weeks..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)